Convert .wav to mp3

Sansafix, great idea!  The first link I found via Google was to Free-Codecs.com, and there’s a treasure trove of encoding software there, including video tools, all in one place.  The LAME XP converter is excellent to archive / compress your Sansa’s audio recordings.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Last I saw, Lame and Helix were testing out as the best quality mp3 encoders.  Helix I think is owned by Realaudio now, and Lame is more commonly used by other programs.

As well as the encoder itself, some program on top of it will make it easier to encode a bunch at once, and add the tags.  DBpoweramp converter (www.dbpoweramp.com) and foobar2000 (www.foobar2000.org)  are both popular.  

I saw some tests from just a few months ago. I’m surprised by the progress that many of these encoders have made (Apparently I hadn’t been keeping up). iTunes and Helix are very close to LAME now, and much faster. The Helix encoder can be found here (its only command-line, and you have to find the .exe file amongst all the source code). This also bodes well for the MP3s from the Rhapsody store.

@jumpydwarf wrote:
I am the owner of an 8GB fuze, and have recorded over 200 songs which I have found out have been recorded as .wav.  So now I am trying to convert these into mp3 (so that I can give them easier to use names, and be able to use repeat and shuffle).  How can I go about doing that?

Don’t, convert them to OGG instead :slight_smile:

@hazza wrote:

@jumpydwarf wrote:
I am the owner of an 8GB fuze, and have recorded over 200 songs which I have found out have been recorded as .wav.  So now I am trying to convert these into mp3 (so that I can give them easier to use names, and be able to use repeat and shuffle).  How can I go about doing that?

You mean Vorbis?:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, sansafix, neutron_bob, donp, bdb (especially for the link), - and hazza.

I ended up getting Lame XP Xmas Edition and seem - so far - to be able to convert from wav to mp3 and put them on my fuze with no big hitches.  I’ve converted six songs and put them on the fuze so far.  Six down, two hundred twenty-one to go! 

@hazza wrote:

@jumpydwarf wrote:

Agreed!

I have some recordings in wav that I was going to convert to mp3.  What makes OGG a better format?  Does it create a smaller file size?

I’d try to explain, but I’m sure I would muck it up. Since GB is our resident OGG-head, maybe he’d like to expound on it.

Until he does though, you could bone up on it yourself here.

@mags1230 wrote:
I have some recordings in wav that I was going to convert to mp3.  What makes OGG a better format?  Does it create a smaller file size?

OGG is not BETTER it is DIFFERENT. I recently converted over 100,000 songs to OGG from Mp3. I did it because I (I have a very well trained ear) could hear an improvement in sound quality and the files were smaller, so I could put more files on my Fuze. If you are just a novice listener or are in general happy with the way your fuze works now as well as the sound quality, dont mess with it.

I am a novice to this.  Should I still convert it to mp3?

Thats up to you. I am not gonna tell you one way or the other. I prefer mp3 over wave or other formats, other than ogg but ogg is a bit harder to deal with.

When I recorded a song it created WAV file.  I have no problem to play it.  My problems is that I can not play MP3 file after I copied into the same directory as WAV file.  I thought Sandisk Sansa.clip+ works only for mp3.  it did not create WAV file.  What should I do now. I like to hear the MP3 file at the same Sandisk.  Please help.  Thanks.

Make sure the file is on the Sansa.  

Hit the Home button and click to get to Music, then Folders and make sure the mp3 file is actually in there. 

It has to be mp3 (or other formats the Sansa plays)–not Apple’s m4a or other formats.

You can also try putting the mp3 in a different folder. The most straightfoward way to do that is go to Settings/System Settings/USB and choose MSC. Connect the Sansa and it will show up as two drives: the unit’s internal memory and the card slot (Removable Disk).  Make a folder on one of those drives and copy the mp3 into it, then use Folders to find it. 

If you want to convert WAV to MP3, you can use UkeySoft Video Converter, which allows you convert WAV  to MP3, AVI, MOV, FLY and other video, audios formats.

If you want to convert Spotify songs from OGG to MP3 format, you can use this UkeySoft Spotify Music Converter, it can help you download and covnret Spotify music to MP3, M4A, WAV and FLAC.

Use YouTube2Video. A free YouTube to WAV converter. You can easily convert .WAV to Mp3 format easily.

Share you a tool called Joyoshare Video Joiner to do it for free. Although it is called video joiner, actually it is a combination of audio/video joiner/converter/cutter/editor/. Many media file formats are accepted by it, such as MP3, WMA, MKA, AAC, WAV, MP4, WMV, MOV, VOB, ISO, etc. Even if you don’t register, you can use it for free ten times.

If you want to convert WAV to MP3 format, you could give a try to some converters like Movie Converter Mac, online video converter, etc. to help you. If you want to get high quality files, then you could use the offline professional tool.

To convert WAV to MP3, you just need to get a powerful audio converter, which can help you do it. 

The one I used to convert WAV to MP3 is the DRmare Audio Converter, which can convert kinds of audio files to MP3 at 30X faster speed. 

Besides, it supports converting protected audio files also. It could be your all-in-one audio converter well. 

To convert WAV to MP3, you just need to get a powerful audio converter, which can help you do it. 

The one I used to convert WAV to MP3 is the DRmare Audio Converter, which can convert kinds of audio files to MP3 at 30X faster speed. 

Besides, it supports converting protected audio files also. It could be your all-in-one audio converter well.