Convert M4B to a playable format?

this will convert it if its not DRM protected, if its protected you gotta use another app(google for help on that). 

Apparently m4B files are protected, which means standard converters will not work with them.

You could use iTunes to burn them to a CD, then rip the CD  to mp3 files. You’d probably lose the tagging information, though. 

If you have m4b’s, you probably have iTunes. iTunes can convert m4b (or m4a) to .mp3 no problem.

.m4b can be protected, but doesn’t have to be. Many (software) players actually can play them just after renaming m4b to m4a.

Files with the .m4b extension are not necessarily bought from the iTunes store.

For example, jw.org has 3 monthly podcasts where the AAC content is delivered in an .m4b container.  There is no charge to download these files.  The chapter divisions separate the articles and contain PNG still images at various times in the audio stream instead of just a single cover image.

The following will take convert M4B to MP3 with the ideal M4B Converter as an example at M4B Converter - Convert M4B to MP3/M4A/WAV/AAC/WMA on Mac or Windows

It also applies to converting M4B to M4A/WAV/ WMA/ MP2/AU/AAC/AAC/AC3/AIFF/OGG.

You can convert the whole M4B file without splitting, or convert as well as split M4B by chapter, or just convert only favorite clip to any desired audio format.

Shill much?

Somehow I doubt the OP has waited this long for a solution.

M4B is the file extension for audio-only MP4 files. It is widely used by podcast and audiobook downloaded from the Apple iTunes store. However, most iTunes audiobooks can only be played on authorized computers using iTunes or on certain iPod player. In order to play M4B audio file with non-iTunes media player or non-iPod MP3 players, it is necessary to convert M4B to MP3, WAV, AAC and more common used audio format.

Why dont you simply download some Audio / Video converter from web? There are so many converters available online but before going to download or purchase, find out  the best M4B to MP3 converter.

M4B is the file extension for audio-only MP4 files. It is widely used by podcast and audiobook downloaded from the Apple iTunes store. However, most iTunes audiobooks can only be played on authorized computers using iTunes or on certain iPod player. In order to play M4B audio file with non-iTunes media player or non-iPod MP3 players, it is necessary to convert M4B to MP3, WAV, AAC and more common used audio format.

Why dont you simply download some Audio / Video converter from web? There are so many converters available online but before going to download or purchase, find out the best M4B to MP3 Converter - Faasoft M4B to MP3 Converter.

Another shill.

Open iTunes, find the files, highlight them, right-click, Convert to Mp3.

Or go into iTunes settings for Importing, change the default to mp3 at 192 kbps or above (more hi-fi). Burn the m4b files to a CD and rip the CD with iTunes.

Don’t pay for a media converter touted by a shill exhuming a very dead thread.

I agree. iTunes I think is the easiest option. Basically, it will convert those to mp3s automatically I think.

Another echo.

In the future, please follow the advice suggested in this post:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/Music-files-very-big/m-p/330383/highlight/true#M52044

and quit repeating what others have said. :angry:

If you have iTunes, you use the converter that is right up in your “Advanced” menu to convert M4B to MP3.

Or you may follow this guide to convert M4B to MP3, WAV, WMA, AIFF, AAC, FLAC, M4Aetc audio format on Mac or Windows

I use iDealshare VideoGo to convert M4B to MP3, M4A or WAV.

It works great, it even can split M4B with chapters to MP3.

Well, you are a fool to use a paid programs when iTunes will do it simply, easily and free.

Or perhaps you are a shill.

Wow, your first post . What a surprise. Don’t believe the hype.

I have never been happy to have iTunes installed on my computer.  I do not like it’s system footprint.

So without itunes, you can still easily convert.  And there is no option to pay for this software, so I’m not selling a thing.

1. Download VideoLan Client.  You can search for “videolan client” or “VLC” on google

2. Start VLC and choose “Media / Convert / Save” from the menu bar, or press Ctrl-R

3. Select the file using the “Add” button, then press “convert/save”

4. Create a new profile, call it “Sansa”. The “new profile” button is next to the deletion cross.

5. In “Encapsulation” tab select Ogg/Ogm

6. In “Audio Codec” tab turn “Audio” on, select codec “Vorbis”, and change sample rate to 22050Hz

7. Press save

8. Copy the book name into the “destination file” box and press “Start”

That’s easy if you use some professional audiobook converter. This one could work well for you: http://www.tuneskit.com/audiobook-tips/convert-itunes-m4b-to-mp3.html

You shills never stop, do you?

Sounds like some spam needs reporting. :angry:

I think the VLC player instructions landed while I was mocking the previous shill.

VLC is great free software, true, and Sansa will play .ogg files. But whether VLC will actually convert those particular  Apple audiobook files (m4b) is something someone else will have to try. 

M4B is a great format for keeping bookmarks of audiobooks, the only problem is that some players or devices don’t support it so well. So you can convert to a playable format, I will recommend you to try to convert M4B to MP3 or AAC. If you are interested, you can take a look at the tutorial. As a music lover, I have tried multiple ways to convert my music and audiobooks, this turns out to be a best way for me.