Charging and listening...can it be done?

Hello all and thanks in adnvance for any help provided.  I’m curious to know if there is a way to charge the Sansa Fuze and use it for listening to the radio/files/etc. at the same time?  I searched the forums and came up with one thread and it wasn’t helpful at all.  The reply to that question was essentially “streaming” your fuze through your computer and using the computer’s media player to listen to the files on the Fuze.  If I wanted to do that, I’d just copy all my files to my computer and not use the Fuze at all.  So is there a way to use the USB charger and the fuze other than “streaming” to the computer?

Thank you all again.

*edited*  I want to clarify as I just found another thread in which a solution may have presented itself (appears I could use a wall charger to listen and recharge at the same time).  Is there a way to use the USB data/charging cable to use the Fuze while it recharges?

Thanks again.

Message Edited by WhyNotV2 on 08-20-2009 08:56 AM

Try with an ipod-compatible usb-to-AC adapter. It also works when plugged in my desktop PC, while my PC is turned off (it still gives power to the usb ports).

It also works pluggint it in a ct-536+ modded with a usb port and a firmware with usb drivers.

Yes you can!, only if your computer is in standby mode.

Try this, I bought it and it is an awesome product because it comes with an extra charge/sync cable and then can be used to charge anything that uses USB to charge (phone, etc. as long as it has a USB endpoint)

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Charging-SanDisk-Sansa-Connect/dp/B000PEOETO

I bought a generic wall charger at the store that uses a USB plug in.  It did not come with a USB plug, I use the Fuze one.  I can chage and listen to at the same time.  This also came with a car charger that plugs into the USB cord and car, which means I can charge it while driving and listen to it in my car (I use a cassette adaptor).

you can also take a small piece of scotch tape and cover the center 2 pins (the data pins) of the USB connector (the side that plugs into the PC) and it will charge and not connect. 

@ssorgatem wrote:

Try with an ipod-compatible usb-to-AC adapter.

As long as the connector is the rectangular USB port (that looks like the one on your computer), pretty much any USB-to-AC will work with your Fuze charging cable. I’ve used a few different brands.

The iPod has a connector that looks similar to the Fuze, but can destroy the Fuze if used.

Not all USB wall chargers will work.  I bought 5 for $2.86 each from ebay.  They do not work.  It seems that pins 2 and 3 have to be at 2.0 - 2.5 volts else the Fuze thinks it’s in write mode.  I have ordered some 2.4V zener diodes to make the mod.  The mod is easy if your into that stuff.

A specific AC-to-USB adapter that I know works with the Fuze came with my USB battery charger, the Energizer Duo.

Granted, not everyone needs a AA/AAA battery charger, but if you happen to need one, the bundled USB wall adapter works with the Fuze. The label on the back says it’s 500 mA.

Message Edited by Peach on 08-20-2009 12:29 PM

@bdb wrote:

@ssorgatem wrote:

Try with an ipod-compatible usb-to-AC adapter.

As long as the connector is the rectangular USB port (that looks like the one on your computer), pretty much any USB-to-AC will work with your Fuze charging cable. I’ve used a few different brands.

The iPod has a connector that looks similar to the Fuze, but can destroy the Fuze if used.

I say ipod-compatible usb-to-AC  because:

1. usb-to-AC: meaning it’s connector is USB, not theproprietar ipod thingy
  2. ipod-compatible: because it’s more probable that it advertises ipod-compatibility, than “sansa fuze compatibility”, and no every usb-to-AC adapter will work. I have one wich *sigh* doesn’t work for that. It does for an older crappy mp3 player, but never did for an ipod.

This message was just to clarify.

Thanks all and sorry for the 6 weeks before I acutally replied and thanked you all.  As much as I didn’t want to buy a separate charger for the wall since I prefered to only have a single cable solution, I sucked it up and picked up a generic USB to AC iPod-type charger.

Thank you all again for your input.