Cassette adaptors

I have seen different brands of adapters to plug MP3 players into cassette decks in cars, ranging in price from about $8 to $25.  Does the sound quality (or other attributes) differ among these brands, or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks.

JEP

They differ greatly in quality. The Sony ones are said to be quite good. One Amazon you can get a Sony one for under $13.

The Technology is pretty simple in the cassette adapters, as for the difference in price you see that difference because of brand name. There are some that do act differently or translate sound better but thats a rarity. 

JK98 wrote:
They differ greatly in quality. The Sony ones are said to be quite good. One Amazon you can get a Sony one for under $13.

I have a Sony that terrible, I have an RCA that is amazing, I have a GFX (Off brand) thats the best of the 3. Its all luck. But yeah I would agree that Sony may be the safest bet. 

I have to agree the quality of these things is all over the place. The best one I have, though I haven’t used it in years, is an ancient Sony that has dual azimuth adjustment. You can tweak the up/down and tilt of the coupling head position. I’ve seen a single azimuth adjust on an RCA also. Alsop may have made some adjustable ones too. If you can find an adjustable one grab it, but these may be a thing of the past.

I use one made by Memorex. Sounds great. 10 bucks at the drugstore.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 01-13-2010 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Guess I’ll buy two or three different adapters and see which one sounds best.  Fortunately, returns are easy where I buy.

I dont know if others find this to be the case but… Dont turn your player up all the way when you try these things out. I find that if I set mine about 75% thats the best bet for sound. From that point I just adjust the radio volume.

I’ve tried several adapters, and the best one in my experience is the Sony CPA-9C.  It not only sounds better IMO, but it has never caused my deck to auto-reverse.

YMMV.