Black screen problem-urgent help needed

I purchased 2 Fuze 2GB black units for my daugthers, one is working fine but the other one shows black screen whenever I press a button or use the Thumbwheel, I have done format, reset and also updated firmware but has not solved the problem. Although it will increase volume and do its functions but screen becomes black.

Please help, thanks.

You tried charging it for a long time? If so, then I guess you probably have a defective player. Exchange it. 

Yes it is fully charged, as I mentioned that it works fine, like plays music and movies…the movie is also showing but as soon as I touch the Thumbwheel to increase voulme it will turn black for few seconds and then picture will come back…also like when I am going through menus…it will turn black for few seconds and then show everything…it is quite annoying when trying to change something through menu.

PS. I got it from Best Buy in US but I am in Pakistan as I had to gift it my daugthers…so can’t change it also. Any help / advice would help, thanks.

You could try installing the firmware again. Download it again, then install it. If that doesn’t work, then you could try installing an older version of the firmware. My first thought was that it was a firmware problem, but you had said you updated the firmware.

Is the problem only with movies, or with music as well? If it is with music, are you using WMA or perhaps mp3 variable bitrate? Try using mp3 fixed bitrate.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-23-2008 01:33 PM

@jk98 wrote:
You could try installing the firmware again. Download it again, then install it. If that doesn’t work, then you could try installing an older version of the firmware. My first thought was that it was a firmware problem, but you had said you updated the firmware.

I agree it sounds like a firmwire issue. possibly a download with missing bytes. I would try to download and reinstall the firmwire.

It came with V01.01.11A but the problem was there from start, then i updated the firmware to V01.01.22A and problem is still there. It is not only in music files but rather it happenes every time, even when I am going through menu, ie., whenever i use the buttons on the panel. Also backlight is on set to 1 hour so it can’t be that…

Are you using it with a memory card? If so, try using it without the card. Try reformatting the player again using the menu on the player. This will delete everything on the player, so first make sure you have copies of everything on the player.

No I don’t have memory card…I will reformat it, also can someone me tell where to find the old version of firmware…I will install that first and check…thanks

I had the exact same problem when I first bought my fuze. It was defective and required an exchange.

Same problem here!  Fuze was fine for a few hours operation after purchasing, until this gremlin showed up.

The same day I purchased the Fuze, I upgraded the firmware to 22.  I used it for a few days no problem.  I used it on a plane to France, no problem.  I used it on holiday, no problem.  On the flight back - suddenly the Fuze isn’t working properly.

Symptoms:

• After every single button press, the screen goes black for ~4seconds. 

• The scroll wheel, the home button, or the power button all have this effect.

• The screen will stay black for four seconds after the last button press; so, for example, it will stay black while you rotate the scroll wheel for as long as you rotate, four seconds after you stop rotating, the screen will come back alive.

• This includes pressing the power switch to turn the unit on:  the screen is blank for long enough so that you now do not see the startup animation.

• For the period that the screen is blank, the blue ring is lit - the blue ring goes out at the same time the screen comes back.

• Pressing the Hold button does NOT make the screen go black:  the lock image comes up as normal.  However, with the Hold button ON, the screen still goes black when any button is pressed.

Curiosities:

• Whilst the screen is black - the Fuze is otherwise functioning normally!  For example, scrolling through a list, the screen will be black whilst operating the scroll wheel, but when the screen comes back to life, you will be as far down the list as you wound the wheel for.  Also, the volume can be scrolled up/down even though the screen has gone black.

• The ONLY thing that doesn’t work whilst the screen is black is changing the screen brightness.  I set the screen brightness down to 50% when I got the Fuze.  Now, while the screen goes black, I can change the brightness slider from low/high, but the brightness is not altered when the screen comes back.

What I have tried:

• Turned power off/on/off

• Reset Fuze (held power switch for +20sec)

• Tried taking my 8gig memory card out of the Fuze.  No effect.

• Forced a flash of the firmware (again to 22) by dropping the .bin file onto the root. Flashed fine, did not fix problem.

• Flashed the Fuze back down to version 15.  Flashed fine, did not fixed problem.

• Formatted Fuze.  Problem still exists.

So - is there anyone with anythign else I can try?  Or should I just send it back?

@spookalilly wrote:

Same problem here!  Fuze was fine for a few hours operation after purchasing, until this gremlin showed up

Not this one, I hope! :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by microsansa on 07-17-2010 05:02 PM

@spookalilly wrote:

Same problem here!  Fuze was fine for a few hours operation after purchasing, until this gremlin showed up.

All kidding aside, sounds to me like you should return it :smiley:

Same problem here. I bought it over amazon. got it today. updated firmware. worked for half an hour. now after wasting 3 hours searching forums im kinda mad and givin up on this. guess i’ll just send it back and get my money back. unless there pops up some help soon :frowning:

Hi all. Same problem as described with the screen going black whenever any control touched. Otherwise it works (plays). Anyone run across a solution? I’ve tried: reseting and downloading the latest firmware. I have not tried a complete format yet. Has anyone tried that before I waste my time?

Thanks. Great forum. Just wish the product didn’t have these problems to start with.

Mike

This is exactly the problem I’m having now. Did anyone ever fix it?

Narza wrote:
This is exactly the problem I’m having now. Did anyone ever fix it?

Only if they returned them.