Battery depleted when not in use?

Hello there. First off, thanks to the folks in the forum for all the suggestions to issues to make the Fuze+ a better product; and of course, thanks to the Sansa developers for the firmware updates, keep them coming! Now if only anything can be done to remediate the over responsive or no responsive at all annoying touch pad!! Now to my issue. I’m curious to know why my Fuze+ depletes its battery faster when not in use as opposed to when it is in use. For example, yesterday I charged up to 98%, applied latest firmware, heard 2 songs, shut it off. This morning I turned it on, and guess what, its down to 75%. Turned off then on an hour or so later, and it was 74%. This means that if I don’t use it for 3 days or so, it wont turn on the next time I try to use it. Then I will have to set date and time again and wait for 3 hours or so for a full charge. This is been happening for quite a while and although I know its normal for these types of batteries to discharge even when not in use, I’m suspicious there may be something wrong with this unit. I have a Fuze as well and it does not behave as the Fuze +; it will keep a charge better. Any ideas? Should I call Sandisk for a replacement? Thanks in advance!!

I’m having the same problem.  My Sansa Fuze+ looses about 15% charge every day it sits.  My wife’s doesn’t.  Both were bought within a few weeks of each other and both at (two different) Toys-R-Us stores.

Is anyone else seeing this?   If I use the Fuze+ for an hour or two (music) I can’t deteect much battery consumption (as it should be), but turn it offf and leave it unused for a day and it looses 10-15% every day it sits.  Strange,.

Any suggestions on resolution?  Is this a known problem on some units?  How can I have it fixed/replaced?

Appreciate any/all responses

Had charged Fuze+ yesterday (it was down to about 10% charge left)… left it charge most of the afternoon and evening.  Checked last night to see lightning bolt.  Unplogged it and turned it off.  This morning, battery is down about 15% from full.  This doesn’t seem right since my wife’s doesn’t do this and my old Clip (several years old) will hold a charge for months with no apparent loss.

Does anyone know how I can get this fixed/replaced?  Do I go back to the store or send it to Sansa somewhere? Are the batteries replaceable?  Doesn’t seem to be …appreciate any insight on this.

@68fastback wrote:

Had charged Fuze+ yesterday (it was down to about 10% charge left)… left it charge most of the afternoon and evening.  Checked last night to see lightning bolt.  Unplogged it and turned it off.  This morning, battery is down about 15% from full.  This doesn’t seem right since my wife’s doesn’t do this and my old Clip (several years old) will hold a charge for months with no apparent loss.

Does anyone know how I can get this fixed/replaced?  Do I go back to the store or send it to Sansa somewhere? Are the batteries replaceable?  Doesn’t seem to be …appreciate any insight on this.

Yes.

Either one. But returning it to your store may be faster. Otherwise call SanDisk Tech Support directly.

No.

My fuze+ dropped 1% charge from 98% to 97% from 5:10 yesterday to 5:10 today wasn’t turned on once between then and now.

LOL.  I contacted Sandisk tech support and was told to re-install the latest firmware…again!! and come back if I had same issue. I guess I’ll be contacting Sandisk in a couple of days then. My mistake for not giving credit to all the bad reviews that came up for this unit initially. Oh well, I will probably look somewhere else next time.

I have a unit I have not used for over a week.  It is at 98%.  I think some power is used to run the clock.  2% for 7 days does not seem too much.

Update: 

…contacted Sandisk support.  With the unit off, they had me press and HOLD the power button for 20 full seconds (takes two hands for sure to hold it htat long).  While holding it down, the Fuze+ comes on but then the screen goes dark (still keep holding for 20 more seconds).  This apparently resets some learning but does not affect stored music and only a few personalizations had to be reconfirmed.

That was last Friday.  They opend a case# which they said would be active for one week.  They said to then charge it for at least 3 hours on a USB port (not a plug-in charger) and then use it as normal and see if that fixes it.

Since then I’ve listened to music for about 5 hours total over the weekend and then full charged it yesterday evening while adding some more MP3/albums.  I also fully charged my wifes Fuze+ at the same time.  Both were then turned off and sat overnight. I waited for 12 hours to check them both today:

My wife’s charge bar is imperceptibly less than 100%  Mine is down about 15%

I guess I’ll wait a few more days to make sure and then call customer support again to get an RMA is it’s still doing it…

Thanks everyone for the insight,

pdumas7, is there somewhere in the menus where you can look at the exact charge amount?  I noticed you mentioned 98% after 7 days.  appreciate any insight…  -Dan

yep go to settings>info. If it taking battery power to run the clock give me a clock that WORKS not that keeps resetting itself everytime it’s turned on!

Ah, yes!  Found it in Settings …thanks!

Thanks Tapeworm and everyone else too.

Yeah, it definately has a problem.  My wife’s fuze+ is still at 100% (for days …and that includes powering up to check) but mine loses at lest 5% overnight and 10-15% in 24 hours of non-use.  Must be a bad battery.

It’s funny how it takes a while to notice it.  At first I thought with putting  music on and learning how to use it since the display is on a lot I figured I was just using a lot more power.  It wasn’t until weeks later that I actually let it sit a few days and it was almost half-discharged --yikes!  Now we know why, I think.

Enjoy!!

-Dan

too bad that the clock is not even run! It comes back to the time first set

Same problem here, noticed at first use

RMA approved yesterday and Fuze+ sent today.  Should receive replacement in 7-10 days after they receive it.

This is the first problem we’ve ever had with any Sansa product so never had to call before but nice to kjnow they stand behind it with good service. 

Can’t wait to get it back !!

My RMA was approved yesterday but unfortunately I still do not receive the email with the link to the UPS tracking label. I’m confused. I have asked on the “MySansa” page, had a chat session with a support rep and the only thing he did was to re-sent the RMA approval email. Is this normal? I don’t have the return label nor know the return address I should send the unit to. He told me I should receive the second email at the end of the day but who knows. Frustrating indeed.

Did you give the rep a valid e-mail address?

Did you make sure he (or she) spelled it correctly?

Have you checked your Spam and/or Junk folder?

Yes to all 3 questions. I checked my email and my sansa profile this morning and the status of the rma is “RMA in transit”, but I still do not have the return label. If only I could have the return address, I’ll return the unit on my expense. I guess I’ll be calling (no more chats) if I don’t receive a reply in a timely fashion. Thanks Tapeworm for responding.

My defective unit was received on August 8 although it was posted as rcvd the 9th. Anyway, I had to send it at my expense and I am still waiting for the replacement. A wait period of 2-3 weeks is simply nonsense. Why make the customer wait so long? One thing is certain, I am staying away from Sandisk players in the future; there’s got to be better players out there and better customer service as well. Just my 2 cents.

Still dealing with this issue. Have been given 2 different ship dates but actual shipping does not happen. Accepted different color as mine was not available; still no shipment. Countless chat sessions, phone calls etc, with no avail. I am just about to give up. To be honest I don’t know what the holdup is. I purchased my unit on ebay using Paypal, I did not pay with stones or whatever. Im so frustrated with the RMA process. Sandisk have made everything in their power for me to not want to buy anything from them anymore. Well maybe I can order my own death!; I guess I’ll be inmortal then.

never noticed until fairly recently but i think mine has this issue too

it almost seems like it started after some of the numerous firmware upgrades

by any chance do any of you also have the time issue? My batt stopped dropping  after I fixed the time issue.