8gb microSD too "fat" to insert into Fuze?

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this:

I have a brand new 4gb Fuze, and have been moving my 1gb microSD between the Fuze and various other portable devices I have, with no problem; it clicks right in the Fuze, and comes right out just as smoothly.

Today I got an 8gb microSD-HC, and had a heck of a time getting it in; the card has a thicker “memory hump” than it’s 1gb cousin, and didn’t want to slide past something inside the chassis, and would hang up.

-Since I paid for the “extended warranty/replace the unit on demand” , I went ahead and gave the 8gb card a mighty shove, and it’s in and working.

Q: Since I plan to move the card from device to device, I anticipate future problems/hangups, and will probably end up breaking something along the line… Any body else have this issue?

Thanks.

Message Edited by PghFuze on 05-27-2009 05:34 AM

Was the 8G the first microSD you inserted in the Fuze, or had you used the 1G before that?

The slots on my Fuze and my e260v2 were very stiff the first time I inserted a card. After that they were OK.

Or maybe you formatted the 8G card with a _ FAT _ filesystem… :wink:

The 1G was the first one I used in the Fuze.

The 8G is going in and coming out, with a little coaxing.

-Comparing the two cards side by side, the 8G has a noticeably “thicker” portion, right where the guts of the memory are.  This hump is where it’s catching on the slide in.

(Hopefully those with a 16G (or the upcoming 32G) card don’t have it any worse…)

I have not experinenced this with any of my players or memory cards, ranging from 2 - 16GB. Is this one a SanDisk brand?

I have an 8GB Sandisk card with a noticeable “bump”, but I’ve never had any problem inserting or removing it.

…Is this one a SanDisk brand?

Yes, genuine SanDisk.

I guess my sub-point is that I was suprised that higher-capacity cards that become available got “larger” (anti - “Moore’s Law”, and all), and couldn’t help but wonder if the chassis engineers at Sandisk didn’t get the memo from their coworkers up the hall who were designing the next generation of memory cards.

:wink:

@pghfuze wrote:

…Is this one a SanDisk brand?

Yes, genuine SanDisk.

I guess my sub-point is that I was suprised that higher-capacity cards that become available got “larger”

They don’t. I have 2GB, 4GB, 8GB & 16GB and they are all the exact same physical shape, size & thickness. Maybe a ‘2nd’ somehow made it past SanDisk’s QA or final inspection.

If it works and you have no problem inserting or (especially) ejecting it, I wouldn’t worry about it. But if it is so thick that it doesn’t want to easily eject without using needle-nose pliers or something to get it out, I’d return it and get another. :wink:

I just looked at my Transcend 8G and it looks pretty flat.  Came out so easy the spring in the slot shot it a couple of feet in the air.

My two cents:

I have several Sandisk microSD/microSDHC cards.  A couple of 1GB “slotMusic” cards, a couple of 2GB cards, a 4GB and a 16GB.  The 4 and 16’s are noticably thicker, with the 16 being the thickest.  Larger capacities, the microSDHC ones, are thicker, by a very small amount.  But I’ve never had any trouble putting any of them into my Fuze

Oddly enough, I first noticed this when I purchased a slotMusic bundle (ABBA) that had the cheap card reader.  The 1GB and 2GB cards go in and can be easily removed from the reader.  The 4GB and 16GB will go in, if forced, and are very difficult to remove.  I pulled out my micrometer and checked, yes, the 4GB and 16GB cards are thicker.  They all work fine in the slotMusic player itself.  A later slotMusic card (Jimmy Buffett) came with the regular Sandisk card reader that works with all the cards.  I don’t know if the reader was replaced with the different model because of this, or it’s just a coincidence.

i have a sandisk micro sd/microsdhc 4gb and i cant get music on it from my computer. what do i need to do to get it on there?

First, don’t tack onto a year-old thread that has nothing to do with your question. That’s called

and is considered bad form.

Secondly, you can transfer music to your memory card using the same steps you use to transfer it to your player. If you still need help, start a new thread by clicking on the words New Message just under the white Search box in the upper left quadrant of the main (1st) page of the player’s board that is appropriate to your question. Example: Fuze board (this one). If you have a different player, post in that board. :wink:

bailey wrote:
i have a sandisk micro sd/microsdhc 4gb and i cant get music on it from my computer. what do i need to do to get it on there?

First, don’t tack onto a year-old thread that has nothing to do with your question. That’s called

and is considered bad form.

Secondly, you can transfer music to your memory card using the same steps you use to transfer it to your player. If you still need help, start a new thread by clicking on the words New Message just under the white Search box in the upper left quadrant of the main (1st) page of the player’s board that is appropriate to your question. Example: Fuze board (this one). If you have a different player, post in that board. :wink: