72GB Fuze?

I was browsing through memory card reviews on amazon and came across this one:

* I bought this in a fit of optimism, hoping it might work in the MicroSD slot of my Sansa Clip+. It did. Perfectly. But only after I had formatted it in Fat32, with Fat32Formatter. It’s complete nonsense that Fat32 cannot be used as the format for a card larger than 32GB, it’s just that MICROSOFT will not allow you to do so. And I’m now beginning to believe that all the prognostications of doom and gloom regarding the compatibility of MicroSDXC cards with equipment that allegedly supports only up to 32GB cards (i.e. MicroSDHC rather than MicroSDXC) is a load of boloney put about, for obvious reasons, by the manufacturers of new equipment. I’m tickled pink by the fact that I now have a 72GB Clip+ which works just perfectly. I think that the only determining factor is whether the card is formatted in Fat32 or not, and nothing else. *

Any thoughts on this?

Its correct.

I’d heard rumors that re-formatting the 64GB SDXC card to FAT32 would allow it to work with our current players, but hadn’t heard (or read) any confirmations. If this is truly the case, why can they be marketed both ways, in FAT32 and exFAT to begin with?

I’m thinking there’s got to be a downside to doing this. Anyone know what it might be, other than you may not be able to reverse the process and change the card back to exFAT once it’s been changed?

Edit: Well, I discovered a fairly significant [financial] argument against doing this . . . at current prices you can buy four of the 32GB MicroSDHC cards or ten of the 16GB cards for the same price as one of those 64GB SDXC cards! :dizzy_face:

@tapeworm wrote:

I’m thinking there’s got to be a downside to doing this. Anyone know what it might be, other than you may not be able to reverse the process and change the card back to exFAT once it’s been changed?

MS doesn’t get paid if you do that.

Tapeworm

That is a downside. Good for bragging down the pub though.

Yeah, I’d love the idea of a 64 gig card in my Clip+ but I don’t love the idea that much! For the same $100 I could get twice as much memory space (4 x 32 = 128GB) or even more (10 x 16 = 160GB). But it’s all about convenience; it would be über-cool, convenient and the ultimate bragging rights to have a 72GB player the size of a matchbox or Zippo lighter (remember those?) without swapping cards.

I just can’t justify it at the cost of the 64GB cards now. Next year will probably be a different story. When the 128GB SDXC cards come out, the price on the 64’s will drop. I waited several months after the 32’s came out until they were down to $50 before I bought my 1st one. I bought another one a few months later for $35. Now they’re $25. And they started out at $129!

Coolness certainly does come at a price. I just can’t afford to be that cool! :stuck_out_tongue:

You know, I had a 64GB player, and most of the music on it never got played, in the several months that I had it. I was careful when I loaded it  (which was quite a project, let me tell you) to only load my “favorites”…the stuff I just knew I would listen to.  I soon realized that  I couldn’t use “shuffle all” because there was too much of a variety of music in my ~59GB that I had on the player, and I’d get these wild mood swings in the music from track to track sometimes, which would result in my having to skip a track (or two, or three) .

And I found that a lot of the stuff that I had thought I knew I would listen to, I never even thought of. With any collection, there will be stuff that one sets aside from time to time, and a certain amount that is one’s current rotation…and unless you have hours and hours each day to devote to listening to your music, you simply don’t have time to listen to all that stuff. So I have come to believe that there’s no need for more than 8+16GB or 8+32GB with you on a daily basis.

This happens to fit nicely with Tapeworm’s multiple-card premise…you can organize your collection on different cards and swap them out as needed, assuming your collection is organized.

My whole philosophy  that I have outlined here seems pretty logical to me, unless you’re either…

A.) one of those people that uses FLAC on a portable player (which I find silly and pointless, but to each his own) :wink:

or

B.)   your player supports video and has a watchable screen ( which, let’s face it,  excludes any Sansa player).

For example, the 32GB card in my Galaxy Tab has about 26.5GB of videos on it, so there’s very little room for music…so it would be nice to toss a 64GB card in there, in theory. But  I wouldn’t carry it around just  to listen to anyways…I would most likely have one of my smaller music-oriented players along with me too.

I know that at least one person here (you know who you are) :wink: will say something along the line of, “I want to be able to play any song in my collection that pops into my head at any time!”  My reply to that would be, if you feel this way,  that given the battery limitations of our Sansas, that it would make more sense to carry a couple players with cards around, than to carry just one with one huge card…and I know this fellow has mutiple Sansas.:stuck_out_tongue:

And that shall conclude tonight’s novel! :laughing:

how long would it take to load up a 72gb Fuze+ ?

an hour ?

a 1gb card doubles my start up time

8gb onboard is plenty and for less than a 99$ i could go buy another 1 terabyte sata hdd

so no way in hell would ever waste my money on jumbo large size micros cards …screw that

I would be interested see some test result if anyone has some diff size cards

and wanted to wipe out the internal database and do some testing etc

It would be interesting to see the startup time differences from using no cards

compared up to small ones to large ones.

Although unless the device is properly reset and reformatted the test reults would be invalid

I pointed out before that even after resetting + reformatting the was STILL lots of content / data

references left in the internal hidden index’s.

the internal “fast jpeg” system cache is left behind too

when you delete an album the various cache’d album art is NOT deleted

you have to go and do it yourself

the Fuze+ is a dirty player…

If i bought one used on ebay for example i could see almost everything they used on it

regardless if they reformated the device + reset the settings AND reloaded the firmware