problems with 32gb card

Greetings,

I love my clipzip and had no problems until I bought a 32gb sdhc card.  I installed the card in the clipzip and started to install music to the card.  Then the problems began:

1. It didn’t let me install music stating that I didn’t have enough memory.  I had about 20mb of free space in the internal memory, but I wasn’t installing music into the internal memory.  No worries… I removed the card and installed the music via an external card reader.  I placed the card into the clipzip, and it took about 1/2 hour to “read media”.  But the music was installed with a problem that leads to #2

2. The music I installed in the sdhc card was moved all around the clipzip.  Some music was in my podcast folder, some in my audiobooks.  Also, some music was missing.  I made a folder with 999 songs in it, and about 75% of the songs were missing.  I made multiple folders, and some were fine, but had some weird files in them.  Some of the files looked like podcast files or audiobook files, but when I clicked on them, nothing happened.  One time it froze my clipzip, which forced me to reset it and wait another torturous 1/2 hour for the clipzip to read the media.

3. I’m not sure, but I don’t think the clipzip accepts subfolders.  I’m very organized with my files, and create many folders for my music.  I created one folder for my music, and had subfolders in it with different types of music in them.  Most of the subfolders had missing music in them.  I testing my theory about the subfolders by moving them to one main folder, but it’s been about THREE hours and the music is STILL transferring.  Why so long? 

4. Why does the clipzip have to read the media every single time I turn it on?  Each time is a wasted 1/2 hour of my life, and I’m going to have to plan my life accordingly whenever I want to use the clipzip.  One option I discovered is to not shut it off… ever.  But that’ll drain the battery faster. 

Some notes: I read that the limit is 8,000 files, but with the 32gb card, I have only 6,000+.  So this shouldn’t be a problem, right?  Another thing, most of my music has been downloaded from the internet, some from YouTube, some from CD’s, but none actually bought.  Is this a problem with my clipzip? 

I know there are other problems, but they don’t come to mind right now, and I’m sure some will come when I finish moving all my music to the one folder.  I love my clipzip when I first used it.  It was magnificent, but the main reason I bought it was for its expanded memory.  PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

Since you seem to only be having problems with files on the card, let me ask . . . Did you buy this card from a reputable and/or SanDisk-authorized dealer? The reason I ask is there are a lot of counterfeit SanDisk 32GB cards out there now and we hear about someone getting taken about once a week here on the forum.

If it is a genuine and not defective card, you should be having no problems with using it in your Zlip. I have one in mine and no issues whatsoever like you describe.

Thanks for replying.  It’s a Kingston 32gb sdhc that I bought from Best Buy.  I only have problems when the card is in the clipzip.  It worked great on the external card read, and I was able to download 16gb+ of music onto the card.

Well, it doesn’t sound like a fake thankfully. There are some known compatibility issues with the Clip Zip and some SD memory cards. Unfortunately, there isn’t a list of exactly what cards it has a problem with.

If you can, I’d suggest exchanging the card at Best Buy for a SanDisk brand. It may cost more, but chances are it will work with your Zip. Mine does.

I agree with Tapeworm

I first tried a PNY 32 gb card and it would not work in the Clip Zip, although it worked in other devices I own.

I took it back and got a SanDisk 32gb, and it worked perfectly.

I also had nothing but problems with a 32 GB Kingston card. Music I synced to it would just disappear.

I have done the latest firmware update.

I bought a SanDisk card and it seems to be working OK. Except for one thing. It won’t recognize playlists that I sync to it. The music gets copied but not the playlist.

This is very annoying, because I have a music collection of 20+ GB, and I prefer to use playlists rather than just play random songs.

I even tried a 2 GB card that I use in my other Clip player that I knew had playlists on it. I could find the music, but not the playlist.

Any ideas??

Well, my 32GB class 4 SanDisk card chokes up my Zip…shuts it right down during a refresh attempt. That’s with all Sansa-friendly tags, etc…same set-up that always works in them just fine.This with only 700MB on the internal, and 29GB on the card…nowhere near any file limits, either.

This same card works in my Clip+ just fine, and refreshed in seven minutes, 34 seconds, and that has a nearly full internal memory…:dizzy_face:

The card will be going back in the Zip though…because I can get it working just fine with Rockbox.:stuck_out_tongue:

Odd. When I first put my new (and legit.!) 32GB microSD card in the Clip Zip, I was getting inconsistent results–running a format on the card with the SD Association’s SD Formatter tool seemed to have helped. The Clip Zip, nice as it is, seems to be a sometimes idiosyncratic child in the Clip family, sometimes requiring extra attention. Kind of like how the youngest in a family sometimes can be (speaking as one myself) . . . . :wink:

@miikerman wrote:
Odd. When I first put my new (and legit.!) 32GB microSD card in the Clip Zip, I was getting inconsistent results–running a format on the card with the SD Association’s SD Formatter tool seemed to have helped. The Clip Zip, nice as it is, seems to be a sometimes idiosyncratic child in the Clip family, sometimes requiring extra attention. Kind of like how the youngest in a family sometimes can be (speaking as one myself) . . . . :wink:

That was the first thing I did with the card, running it through the SD formatter. So what did you think of my refresh times with that card in my Clip+…jealous?
:wink:

Marvin, now you know why I prefer the Clip+ to the Clip Zip. I guess in a few months Sandisk will get all these issues resolved.

I don’t recall my Clip+ refresh time, as I’ve been keeping the same tunes in the player (and mostly using my Clip Zip). At this point, though, I’m tired of refresh times at all that delay use–this must change with the OF. (And yes, I know the situation is different with Rockbox.)

@jk98 wrote:

Marvin, now you know why I prefer the Clip+ to the Clip Zip. I guess in a few months Sandisk will get all these issues resolved.

Yes, I can see your point.

I’m inclined to think they’ll straighten it out at some point, but I’m also grateful to have a backup plan too.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Well, my 32GB class 4 SanDisk card chokes up my Zip…shuts it right down during a refresh attempt. That’s with all Sansa-friendly tags, etc…same set-up that always works in them just fine.This with only 700MB on the internal, and 29GB on the card…nowhere near any file limits, either.

This same card works in my Clip+ just fine, and refreshed in seven minutes, 34 seconds, and that has a nearly full internal memory…:dizzy_face:

The card will be going back in the Zip though…because I can get it working just fine with Rockbox.:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, the mystery has been solved. Saratoga had a hunch over at ABI…

_ “The Zip handles more file formats then the Clip+. Maybe some file that gets ignored on the + causes the crash on the Zip?” _

So I removed the card and put it in my card reader, and sure enough, there were some AAC files on there. One multitrack album that was very high-bitrate VBR…

And one roughly hour long single track that I stripped from a video…

So the Clip+ just skipped those two albums when it refreshed, yet the Zip tried and failed to read them, causing the choke-up.

So now that the mystery is solved, I can go back to listening…I’ll just have to use Rockbox.:wink: