how much Gigabyte can the card for the microSD/microSDHC slot be

how much Gigabyte can the card for  the microSD/microSDHC slot  be

up to 32 GB ?  for  sansa clip zip mp3 player

Hello,

The clip zip player supports a micro sd card up to 32gb but for mp3 and wma its suggested to use up to 16gb

@deponia wrote:

Hello,

The clip zip player supports a micro sd card up to 32gb _ but for mp3 and wma its suggested to use up to 16gb _

No it’s not. Where did you hear (or read) such nonsence? You can use all of the usuable +/- 28 GB of a 32GB card for any type of audio file. I have several filled to the brim.

You can also use a larger 64GB card IF you re-format it to FAT32 instead of its native exFAT format. Note though that there IS a database limit of (I believe) 8000 tracks (total between internal memory and external memory card) so if your files are ripped at a low bit-rate, the player may not be able to ‘see’ or play anything over the limit.

And, in fact, it’s been reported by users that 128GB microSDXC cards will work as well.  Add that along with the alternative Rockbox firmware and have the full use of all of that space.   :slight_smile:

@tapeworm wrote:

You can also use a larger 64GB card IF you re-format it to FAT32 instead of its native exFAT format.

This has been said here several times on this forum. And each time I wanted to get the confirmation that it’s valid for the original firmware, too, and learn more about the poster’s exact player configuration, I got no response anymore.

64 GB cards work fine with my Clip+s. They do work to some degree in my two Clip Sports, with some restrictions (see parallel thread). And they do work to some degree in my Clip Zips, but nevertheless aren’t really usable. The reason is that I have to wait for database refreshing each time I turn the player on.

So what’s wrong with my Zip(s) or what am I doing wrong and what trick do you and your Zip use to work properly with 64 GB (and higher), FAT32 formatted microSDXC cards? :confounded:

I’ve got two Clips zips with 64GB SDXC cards, one Rockboxed, the other not (with Sandisk firmware).

My ‘trick’ to avoid database refresh on the non-Rockboxed Zip is to only charge using a mains wall-plug USB adapter for charging, Presumably the PC always does some sort of updating/communicating with the players memory that forces database reresh every time which doesn’t happen when purely charging. Obviously this is unavoidable if you actually do want to add/remove files, but you could a full recharge afterwards,

(If you get the refresh even if you haven’t connected then there maybe something else is wrong of course. Perhaps you need to reinstall the firmware)) 

The Rockboxed Zip doesn’t have this problem at all - as any database refreshing goes on in the background. You just have to get used to the Rockbox firmware, which isn’t that hard - if I can, anyone can!

I’ve got two Clips zips with 64GB microSDXC cards (Kingston Class 10). One Zip is Rockboxed, the other not (has latest Sandisk firmware). MSC mode. One is 8GB the other a 4GB model.

My ‘trick’ to avoid database refresh on the non-Rockboxed Zip is to only charge using a mains wall-plug USB adapter for charging, Presumably the PC always does some sort of updating/communicating with the players memory that forces database reresh every time which doesn’t happen when purely charging. Obviously this is unavoidable if you actually do want to add/remove files, and this will consdierably drain the battery, but you could do a full recharge afterwards,

Also, never remove the card as this will always force database refresh, and check your contacts are clean.

If you get the refresh even if you haven’t connected then there maybe something else is wrong of course. Perhaps you need to reinstall the firmware

The Rockboxed Zip doesn’t have this problem at all - as any database refreshing goes on in the background. You just have to get used to the Rockbox firmware, which isn’t that hard - if I can, anyone can!

Thanks for your reply! Now the Zip isn’t even able to complete database refresh with inserted 64 GB card anymore. Re-installing the latest firmware didn’t make a difference, as a second Zip showed the same behaviour. The only change since it halfways worked (with mandatory refresh after each power-on) was a tiny update of the card content, otherwise it’s 99.9% identical. The same card still works fine in the Clip+, also in the Sport (with the mentioned restrictions).

I charge all my players with a charger, not via computer. The 64 GB card used is a SanDisk Mobile Ultra. All music files on it are LAME encoded MP3s, VBR from -V4 to -V0, some -b 320, tagged with MP3Tag in ID3v2.3 ISO-8895-1, with simple, short entries and without Album art.

Although it may look like there’s some corrupted files or incompatible tags preventing complete dabatase refreshing, the fact that the Clip+ has no problem with the same card (as well as the Sport, apart from some natural restrictions) speaks against it. And I can’t see which files could be affected.

Maybe I’ll start a new try with only half of the files and add some more in several steps till the player quits cooperation again…

Ok, sorry it didn’t work. All my files are MP3 Lame encoded (mixture of VBR, and CBR mostly @192k) copied direct to the card under a Music folder in an MP3 > Artist > Album folder substructure. They’re all tagged with MP3-Tag in the format you mentioned, and also with album art. Not sure that matters but it seems to work for me.

Maybe the card matters, you’d think Sandisk cards would be fine. Not sure what others are using, but no problems so far with the Kingstons.

Yes, maybe another card would be worth a try.

Hello,

I read this *invalid* information on the official Sandisk kbs: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/200/kw/sansa%20card

so you telling me that Sandisk has the wrong information published on the support site?

Yep–the microSD card capability info. is incorrect/outdated.   :wink: