Why is Clip Zip renaming my folders and music files?

Original Windows Folder:

Billboard Greatest Christmas Hits (1935-1954)

Clip Zip name:

09100000_Billboard Greatest Christmas

This is occurring intermittently in many places.

1. Copy folders and songs (mp3’s) directly to the device using Windows Explorer in Windows 7 Pro.

2. Verify that folders and songs show up as they should (using Windows Explorer).

3. Unplug the device and let it refresh.

4. Browse music on the device and note the errant renaming of some songs and folders.

5. Plug device back into the computer via the USB port.

6. Verify with Windows Explorer that the errant names are there as previously viewed on the device, and are NOT what I put there.

How do I get this to stop?

This is a Sansa Clip Zip 8GB with a SanDisk 32GB Mobile microSDHC card added, and using Windows 7 Pro.

Switch the player to MSC mode. It’s in the system settings, USB mode.

What color43 said.  The strange filenames are created due to MTP.

Format your player (Settings > System Settings > Format) which will clear your memory. Now switch to MSC mode as suggested and reload your music.

MTP = Most Troublesome Protocol

MSC = Mode of Sansa Champions

:smiley:

This was not the original behavior in the last firmware, why was this changed?   On a 32gb card, i now have close to 50% of the folders renamed.  I don’t think recopying 15gb is a reasonable workaround.  I"m going to try to rename the folders.  (now MSC for some reason doesn’t display my folders on the external card…)

BTW: updated to 01.01.08 & the problem is still there.

MSC indeed does not display folders on the external card, & I went with a microSDHC without an adapter.  The external card is what I’ve been using to hold all music.  I did check, and the same issue happens on the 8GB internal memory bank as well.

This renaming problem only occurs when removing the device from the computer & the Clip Zip does its refresh.

I am usually using folders to view what I want.  I see albums, genre, etc, but still would prefer to use folders.  The names do come up correctly under albums.

It is appearing that the Clip Zip is scanning the files for the album name & possibly other information & then hacking the folder name for something.  Yuk.  Some of my old CD collection does not have full mp3 information, and I like to be able to rely on folder names and song names.

SanDisk, please review this overall situation.  It is not truly functional for me.

@Tapeworm, were you over at the Nuendo forum once upon a time?

MSC did finally work.

I had to reformat the microSDHC again (had already done before, but went for it again), and Windows finally saw it and assigned a drive letter.

I’ve now reloaded everything.

I will say MSC is a LOT slower transferring files though.  Less than 1/2 the speed of the other mode for some reason.

Thank you.

@jdl wrote:

MSC did finally work.

I had to reformat the microSDHC again, and Windows finally saw it and assigned a drive letter.

I will say MSC is a LOT slower transferring files though.  Less than 1/2 the speed of the other mode for some reason.

Thank you.

Really?  I’ve found that MTP is slow as molasses.  At least it is on my Clip Zip’s 8GB internal memory.  The only advantage I see in MTP is my wife’s car handles music on the Clip Zip like it does on my iPhone via the car’s USB port.  Except for that, MTP seems more trouble than it’s worth (at least in WinXP; perhaps it’s speedier with Win7).

@jdl wrote:

MSC did finally work.

I had to reformat the microSDHC again (had already done before, but went for it again), and Windows finally saw it and assigned a drive letter.

Thank you.

The Zip itself (unlike the earlier models, I believe) can format the card from the Settings>System Setting menu. Did you try that or did you format the card with the PC? The PC may have done the formatting in a way that’s less than optimal.

All the Clips are able to reformat themselves, under their system setings.

Depending on your setup, it can be faster to load your microSD card by removing it from your player and putting it into an SD slot in your computer, or by putting it into an external SD card reader and connecting that to your computer–and then loading the card that way.

Also, I don’t know if it will speed matters, but the SD Association’s Formatter tool can eliminate issues; you might want to try reformatting the card using that at some point (it can’t hurt!). 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

This is music video compilation with best songs from 2013. Bests songs was choosen with popularity in Internet searches http://www.youtube.com/user/bestsongslists

@surfeer wrote:

This is music video compilation with best songs from 2013. Bests songs was choosen with popularity in Internet searches http://www.youtube.com/user/bestsongslists

Was there a question there somewhere?

Sounds like spam to get somebody’s “view count” up. :angry:

@tapeworm wrote:

To 1?   :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

To a current whopping 31?   Oooohhh . . . .    :wink: