Which Mode Do I Use

Just bought a Sansa ClipZip 8G and upgraded firmware to 18A using MSC mode as instructed.  I plan to use the ClipZip with Rhapsody, and I’m wondering in normal use (not upgrading to latest firmware) what USB mode I should be using it in, Auto Detect, MTP or MSC.  

If you’re going to use Rhapsoduy with it, you’ll have to use MTP mode in order to transfer the licensing keys that will allow the DRM-crippled files to play. I never advise using the Auto Defect mode. This will screw you up.

If you’re going to use Rhapsody with it, you’ll have to use MTP mode in order to transfer the licensing keys that will allow the DRM-crippled files to play. I never advise using the Auto Defect mode. This will screw you up.

Try to keep your player consistent with its USB mode, MSC or MTP.  The reason:  your computer only sees the files that are on your player when connected to the player under the USB mode (MTP or MSC) that the files were transferred to the player under.  The reason to avoid Autodetect mode:  the player can use both MSC and MTP modes, and so you can’t see on your computer everything on your player at the same time. 

1 Like

Very useful helpful info.  Thanks guys.