Songs won't play in correct order. And I cannot rename the songs

I copied a folder from my iTunes directory to my sansa clip zip Music directory. The sansa plays the songs in the wrong order. The songs are named 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d. I want sansa to play them in that order. Instead, sansa plays them in this order: 1a, 2a, 1b, 2b, 1c, 2c, 1d, 2d. This is NOT the order I want them played. So I renamed the songs 001 (for 1a), 002 (for 1b), 003 (for 1c), 004 (for 1d), 005 (for 2a), 006 (for 2b), etc. However, when I disconnect the sansa from my computer, the songs retain their old names, even though my computer shows the new names. I would appreciate help in how to make the renaming stick! My computer (a laptop) runs Windows 7 professional edition.

Sansa chat advised me to edit the id3 tags in Windows Media Player but does not help me because my music is stored in iTunes.

When I copy folders from my iTunes directory to my android phone (LG Optimus Slider), everything works fine. The songs play in the correct order. So how come I can’t make the songs play in the correct order in my sansa? I am so frustrated I feel like returning the sansa to Amazon (bought it a few days ago) even though I like the small size and the clip for use in the gym. Plus the sansa has FM, which I can tune to the audio for the the Fox TV channel while riding the stationary recumbent bike in the gym. The FM is a big plus for use in the gym.

@johannfu wrote:

Sansa chat advised me to edit the id3 tags in Windows Media Player but does not help me because my music is stored in iTunes.

When I copy folders from my iTunes directory to my android phone (LG Optimus Slider), everything works fine. The songs play in the correct order. So how come I can’t make the songs play in the correct order in my sansa?

The SanDisk Chat folks are right. You have to edit the ID3 tags. If there’s not a way to do that in iTunes, you can download MP3Tag for free and use that. Set the Write defaults in the Tools menu to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. This is the format that works best.

Apparently your phone reads (and plays) by file name. The Clip Zip (nor any other Sansa mp3 player) does not.

However, if you scroll down to the bottom of the Music menu, you’ll fiind an option for Folders. This should allow you to play your files in the correct re-named order.

Thank you Tapeworm, very helpful. I am amazed at what I found in the Folder at the bottom of the Menu page. Amazing! Files that I didn’t even know were in the sansa! 

Somebody should write a book “Sansa for Dummies” for people like me.

@johannfu wrote:

Somebody should write a book “Sansa for Dummies” for people like me.

There wouldn’t be much need for this forum then. :smileyvery-happy:

Glad I was able to help!

I have the same problem, there is an alternative method to access your tracks but it is not perfect. Goto folder option, click into it, select int or ext memory, select music, tracks should list in order, but you don’t get complete info on track before you select to play it. iPod doesn’t have these issues, i hate to say it but the firmware on the sansa is trash when it comes to navigating a large collection of music. These issues will have to be addressed before the users wishing to get away from iPod end up moving along to mp3 players that are anything but sandisk. This would be a shame as i believe sandisk have a potentially massive selling piece of gear if they can just sort out the software. The sansa models have the potential to wipe out iPod totally if they just get the formula right.

@reddog694 wrote:

I have the same problem, there is an alternative method to access your tracks but it is not perfect. Goto folder option, click into it, select int or ext memory, select music, tracks should list in order, but you don’t get complete info on track before you select to play it. iPod doesn’t have these issues, i hate to say it but the firmware on the sansa is trash when it comes to navigating a large collection of music. These issues will have to be addressed before the users wishing to get away from iPod end up moving along to mp3 players that are anything but sandisk. This would be a shame as i believe sandisk have a potentially massive selling piece of gear if they can just sort out the software. The sansa models have the potential to wipe out iPod totally if they just get the formula right.

With my ID3 tags filled in correctly, I don’t have any issue whatsoever in navigating my large collection of music; or in using the separate Folder navigation method.  It’s the tags that are key, plus a few “tricks” (such as using leading zeros for track numbers at the start in file names).

At any rate, sadly, it seems that companies are paying less attention to their digital audio players, with some notable exceptions, e.g. Sony.  ???.  Apple seemingly hasn’t done anything with its line in years.  I still have a pipedream for an Uber Clip player from SanDisk, as a commemoration of the Clip line . . . .

@reddog694 wrote:

With my ID3 tags filled in correctly, I don’t have any issue whatsoever in navigating my large collection of music on my Clip, Clip+ or Clip Zip players; or in using the separate Folder navigation method.  It’s the tags that are key, plus a few “tricks” (such as using leading zeros for track numbers at the start in file names).

At any rate, sadly, it seems that companies are paying less attention (if any) to their digital audio players, with some notable exceptions, e.g. Sony.  ???.  Apple seemingly hasn’t done anything with its line in years.  I still have a pipedream for an Uber Clip player from SanDisk, as a commemoration of the Clip line . . . .

@reddog694 wrote:

With my ID3 tags filled in correctly, I don’t have any issue whatsoever in navigating my large collection of music on my Clip, Clip+ or Clip Zip players; or in using the separate Folder navigation method.  It’s the tags that are key, plus a few “tricks” (such as using leading zeros for track numbers at the start in file names).

At any rate, sadly, it seems that companies are paying less attention (if any) to their digital audio players.  ???.  Apple seemingly hasn’t done anything with its line in years.  I still have a pipedream for an Uber Clip player from SanDisk, as a commemoration of the Clip line . . . .

@reddog694 wrote:

With my ID3 tags filled in correctly, I don’t have any issue whatsoever in navigating my large collection of music on my Clip, Clip+ or Clip Zip players; or in using the separate Folder navigation method.  It’s the tags that are key, plus a few “tricks” (such as using leading zeros for track numbers at the start in file names, something that always has been the case with players offering or using Folder navigation).  The reason you don’t get “complete” info. when selecting a file to play via the Folder navigation method (as oppsoed to using the database to select a tune to play) is that the Folder method is not designed to do that–it is a file selector just like on your computer.  If you want database info. based on the file’s ID3 tabs, use the database selection method.  And by the way, as far as I am aware, the Apple iPod does not even offer the File navigation alternative–it’s the databse selection method or nothing.

At any rate, sadly, it seems that companies are paying less attention (if any) to their digital audio players.  ???.  Apple seemingly hasn’t done anything with its line in years.  I still have a pipedream for an Uber Clip player from SanDisk, as a commemoration of the Clip line . . . .

@reddog694 wrote:

With my ID3 tags filled in correctly, I don’t have any issue whatsoever in navigating my large collection of music on my Clip, Clip+ or Clip Zip players; or in using the separate Folder navigation method.  It’s the tags that are key, plus a few “tricks” in using the Folder navigation method (such as using leading zeros for track numbers at the start in file names, something that always has been the case with players offering or using Folder navigation).  The reason you don’t get “complete” info. when selecting a file to play via the Folder navigation method (as opposed to using the database to select a tune to play) is that the Folder method is not designed to do that–it is a file selector just like on your computer.  If you want database info. based on the file’s ID3 tabs, use the database selection method.  And by the way, as far as I am aware, the Apple iPod does not even offer the File navigation alternative–it’s the database selection method or nothing; it’s always been a wonderful advantage that the Clip players have offered Folder navigation as a separate means of choosing or exploring one’s media collection.   ???

At any rate, sadly, it seems that companies are paying less attention (if any) to their digital audio players.  ???   Apple seemingly hasn’t done anything with its line in years (except possibly increasing rhe onboard storage of the iPod Touch?). 

I still have a pipedream for an Uber Clip player from SanDisk, as a commemoration of the Clip line.  Perhaps SanDisk would consider making such a commemorative player for some of its biggest fans . . . .    ???

@reddog694 wrote:

With my ID3 tags filled in correctly, I don’t have any issue whatsoever in navigating my large collection of music on my Clip, Clip+ or Clip Zip players; or in using the separate Folder navigation method.  It’s the tags that are key, plus a few “tricks” in using the Folder navigation method (such as using leading zeros for track numbers at the start in file names, something that always has been the case with players offering or using Folder navigation).  The reason you don’t get “complete” info. when selecting a file to play via the Folder navigation method (as opposed to using the database to select a tune to play) is that the Folder method is not designed to do that–it is a file selector just like on your computer.  If you want database info. based on the file’s ID3 tabs, use the database selection method.  And by the way, as far as I am aware, the Apple iPod does not even offer the File navigation alternative–it’s the database selection method or nothing; it’s always been a wonderful advantage that the Clip players have offered Folder navigation as a separate means of choosing or exploring one’s media collection.   ???

At any rate, sadly, it seems that companies are paying less attention (if any) to their digital audio players.  ???   Apple seemingly hasn’t done anything with its line in years (except possibly increasing the onboard storage of the iPod Touch?). 

I still have a pipedream for an Uber Clip player from SanDisk, as a commemoration of the Clip line.  Perhaps SanDisk would consider making such a commemorative player for some of its biggest fans . . . .    ???

Correctly filled ID3 tags and understanding folder navigation are crucial for efficient organization, even for managing South African songs on Clip players. The folder method serves as a basic file selector, while database selection provides detailed information. Attention toward digital audio players seems lacking, despite the global resonance of South African music.