Songs/podcasts are "skipping"

Greetings everyone. I’m new to the forums here. I haven’t needed them before now.

The problem I’m having with my Clip Zip is this: 

The player will seem to “skip” during playback. The track time continues to count as usual, but I 'm only hearing the briefest snip of a sound each 1-1.5 seconds. This happens only in the car. At first I thought maybe the player was cold, as that can sometimes muck with electronics. When that proved to not be the case, I went the other direction and tried to keep it from getting too hot. 

The player doesn’t act up like this when it’s connected to anything else, just in the car. It happens in multiple cars with multiple aux cords. 

I’m in the process of copying the files to my work computer so I can format the player and card. If this helps, I’ll post an update.

Until then, has anybody else had this issue or heard of something similar happening?

Thanks

Steve

Definitely weird . . . it probably doesn’t have anything to do with it, but just to cover the bases, are you running the latest firmware update?

It’s been happening to me since about 2 mos. ago.  If I’m playing a song, and want to go back to the previous song, the player starts that same skipping, and the buttons stop working completely.  The only way I can get back to normal is to hold the power button down for 20 seconds or so, and then turn it on again.  Then it resumes playing where it was, but I can still only go in one direction, forward.

I’ve updated the firmware, at least I think I have - doesn’t it do that every time it’s connected to the computer?  I’ve never gotten any notice that the firmware has been updated but I followed all the steps.

I hope someone can tell us how to fix this.  I use the player for exercising and it’s hard to stop and re-set it every time I want to go backward.

@jackieflash wrote:

_ I’ve updated the firmware, at least I think I have - doesn’t it do that every time it’s connected to the computer?  I’ve never gotten any notice that the firmware has been updated but I followed all the steps. _

No, it doesn’t. And the player will tell you on the screen if the firmware was installed correctly. It’s dead simple; download and extract the f/w .zip file, copy to the player, unplug and wait for the update to install itself, turn off and re-start. Upon re-starting, the player will automatically ask you to set your Region. That’s another way of knowing the f/w install was successful.

Yhe firmware will only update if you have the (computer memory-wasting) Sansa Updater installed on your computer.

But sometimes a software or firmware can develop a glitch over tme.  And so, a reason to reapply manually the latest firmware–to fix any glitch, to try to fix an operational issue.  

Easy to do–just see and follow the instructions in the firmware sticky thread at the top of this forum.