Seeking Advice, Clip Zip or Clip+

My beloved clip zip just died.  I thought to replace it with the new clip sport but a check of the forums tells me this would be disappointing at the least.  I use my zip mainly for audiobooks and have an extensive library of books on several chips for my Zip.  As I sought to replace the Zip I discovered that it seems to be discontinued.  I can find a few but they are twice what I paid for mine originally and if Sansa isn’t making it anymore…  Anyway, it also seems the Clip + is still in production.  Can anyone tell me, will the Clip + play the chips I have set up for the Zip.  What do I lose by switching?  Do you recommend staying with the Zip for as long as I can get the new one to last?  I started with a plain clip and upgraded because of the chip.  Albumn art and color aren’t important to me but successfully listening to audiobooks without retagging each track is.  I seek advice from my fellow Zip enthusiasts.  THANKS

I actually like my Clip+ as much as my Clip Zip–I like its sturdy feel.  And it does all those great things we want in a Clip player.

Differences:  the Clip+ does not have aac file support for DRM-free aac format files, the Zip’s small color screen with album art display, the Zip’s time-of-day indication, a “sports mode” with timer and lap time, a fast alphabet scroll capability in lists, the Zip’s menu customizability, the Zip’s improved microSD card fit, and the Zip’s improved EQ.

Thanks.  I loved my first Clip and the big improvement of the Zip was having the chip.  But do you know if the chips are interchangeable between the players once they have content?  I am happy to give the clip + a try but not having to re-download my entire library might make it worth searching out a Zip.  Also, do you know? Have they officially discontinued the ZIP and/or the Plus? Thanks again for the info.

@del2015 wrote:

But do you know if the chips are interchangeable between the players once they have content?  Yes.

Have they officially discontinued the ZIP and/or the Plus? Yes.

That’s the nice thing about the microSD slot–can swap cards in and out, including between players (including the Clip+ and Clip Zip).      :slight_smile:

Thank you.  That is what I needed to know

Cool!  And you now have two of us above confirming this, so hopefully, you should be set!    :slight_smile:

@miikerman wrote:

I actually like my Clip+ as much as my Clip Zip–I like its sturdy feel.  And it does all those great things we want in a Clip player.

Differences:  the Clip+ does not have aac file support for DRM-free aac format files, the Zip’s small color screen with album art display, the Zip’s time-of-day indication, a “sports mode” with timer and lap time, a fast alphabet scroll capability in lists, the Zip’s menu customizability, the Zip’s improved microSD card fit, and the Zip’s improved EQ.

In case my Clip Zip dies, what is the current replacement that would have AAC support and most if not all of the same functions of the Clip Zip?

The Clip Jam supports AAC, does it have most of the same functions?  Any of the other Sansa mp3 players currently out there an adequate Zip Clip replacement?

I can’t answer questions about the JAM because I resorted to finding a spare Clip Zip and a Clip +.   I only use them for audiobooks and the forums seem to indicate the new ones don’t handle the audiobooks as well as the older models.  I went to e-bay and found both new and refurbished Zips.  They are more expensive than they used to be (I really loved that $40 price tag) but my refurbished has kept running almost as long as the last new one I had, praying it keeps working.  Remember, with the sd card you don’t have to have the biggest built in memory to get good bang for your buck.

If you check the forums on the JAM or the Sport, they should let you know about the AAC support.  The forum guys are awesome here.

I would definitely keep away from the Sport.  It just feels like a lazy emulation of some of the Zip features.  It will not even allow the selection of albums to be added to the Go-list playlist on the fly.  It can only be done one song at a time!  So just imagine trying to set up an ad hoc selection of half a dozen albums while waiting at the lights.