Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.21

So I have no idea if this is firmware related, but the firmware version is the only difference between my old purple 4GB Clip Zip (running 01.01.20A), which worked fantastically for 18 months, until the headphone jack gave out, and my new black 4GB Clip Zips (. That’s Clip Zips, plural. I’m on my second one in 5 or 6 weeks…

I have a few main problems, listed from least to most worrisome:

(1) The left and right buttons rewind/fast forward, but don’t skip back/forward. Actually, I plugged my newest one into the computer yesterday (see issue 3), but somehow this magically “fixed” the issue. With both new Clip Zip, they buttons started out working, then stopped 2 or 3 days after I got them.

(2) I just timed it, and my Clip Zip takes 4:06 to turn on. That’s 4 MINUTES and 6 seconds. I have a 32 GB microSD card in it that’s almost full, but my GOODNESS, that’s excessive!!! My old one took maybe 15-20 seconds. *trying again without the microSD card* Nope. Same. 4:08. (On the other hand, it only took 1:35 to refresh my media, and that used to take like 4 minutes on the old Clip Zip! 1:35 isn’t bad for 29GB of data, in my opinion!)

(3) When I try to plug it into my computer… it just power cycles for forever and doesn’t connect. Then after I give up (30 minutes later or whatever) and unplug it from the computer, it’ll boot to the “Connected” screen. AFTER it’s unplugged. And then it won’t turn off unless I plug it back it, then unplug it again. WEIRD.  OOooh… It just connected but now it’s saying the USB device isn’t recognized. Not good.

Could this be a firmware issue? If so, I’m not sure how I can fix it, since I can’t connect it to my computer. I haven’t tried formatting it or restoring it to factory defaults. Didn’t want to do anything “rash” until I polled the audience… :wink:

Did I get two lemons in a row? Will the third one be a charm? HELP if you can!

Sara