Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.21

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Zip. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Zip, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

SanDisk has released firmware version 01.01.21 for the Sansa Clip Zip. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Windows Users can Connect the device in any Mode and follow the instructions below.

Mac and Linux users can connect their Clip Zip in MSC or Auto Detect mode and follow the instructions below. 

MSC mode instructions:

• Turn on the Clip Zip
  • Navigate to  Settings  on the menu of the device 
  • Scroll down to  System Settings
  • Scroll Down to  USB Mode
  • Select  MSC

Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.21 Download and Installation instructions

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)

Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download

All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Zip before performing firmware update

• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 

• Plug in your Sansa Clip Zip to your computer. 

• Extract the  clpza.bin  file from the .zip file you just downloaded into a folder on your computer.

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip Zip

Note: If connecting in MTP mode drag and drop the Firmware file to the root of the Internal

memory Folder

• Disconnect the Sansa Clip Zip and let the firmware update begin. 

• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 

• Turn the Clip Zip on, Select your language and region preference 

• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 01.01.21"x".

Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.21 Release Notes

This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart. 

• Enhancements

• No new enhancements

• Bugs Fixed

• Device hangs up after finished playing special mp3 files, which contain CRC error at the end of frames

• Known Issues

• Recently Added doesn’t update Rhapsody transferred tracks

• Artist Info page doesn’t display for Rhapsody transferred tracks

• UI issues in Hebrew mode

• New recording file sequence does not work correctly when previous recording got deleted

• Text scrolling direction in Hebrew and Arabic is not correct

• FM reception strength is not so good

Hmmm, imagine this!   :slight_smile:

Yes, this is the version that 2 people have aleady cited bugs with, having received a new player with this version from the factory.

1.) http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Clip-Zip-has-loud-burst-of-static-at-the-end-of-some-tra…

2.) http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/New-Clip-Zip-strange-version/m-p/296845/highlight/true#M…

Engineering, I understand could not replicate the problems but strangely enough, backdating the firmware to the 01.01.20 release seems to have rectified the issues.

@tapeworm wrote:

Yes, this is the version that 2 people have aleady cited bugs with, having received a new player with this version from the factory.

1.) http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Clip-Zip-has-loud-burst-of-static-at-the-end-of-some-tra…

2.) http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/New-Clip-Zip-strange-version/m-p/296845/highlight/true#M…

Engineering, I understand could not replicate the problems but strangely enough, backdating the firmware to the 01.01.20 release seems to have rectified the issues.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

_ Engineering, I understand could not replicate the problems _ but strangely enough, backdating the firmware to the 01.01.20 release seems to have rectified the issues.

Yet

@tapeworm wrote:

Yep.

why there is no information about elapsed time/total time when playing a song ???

firmware Version

V01.01.21A was installed on my player, i bought it last week.

iam using german language settings and playback songs from 8GB MicroSDCard

@patapon wrote:

why there is no information about elapsed time/total time when playing a song ???

Because somebody at SanDisk thought they knew better than the people who actually use these things about what is needed (or wanted) on the display screen and what isn’t.

This has been requested from numerous users from Day 1, but SanDisk has not added it.

I just don’t get it when tech. companies ignore basic and logical consumer user needs . . . .   :frowning:

So i have had my 8gb clip zip for about 2 years as of november. it has worked fine up until a year ago. Without a micro SD card the player will not work. Neither the usb connection or the main menu itself will not show. I have tried the 01.01.21"x". update and nothing. It stays at V01.01.21A. 

can anyone help me?

I have just updated to the latest firmware, but I have the same RDS bug as I had with previous firmware. The radio stations names are always wrong, they are made of 4 random letters (XWLS and so on) and I don’t understand why. Anyone can help with this?

Not that I like it, but I seem to recall, from long ago, that SanDisk explained that it can’t guarantee the RDS feature (it almost sounded like this was a beta-like feature, despite what the product info. had indicated).  Perhaps I’m mis-recalling this, however–it was from when the Zip first came out, years ago.

Also, where are you located?  It has seemed, over time, that U.S. users have had better luck with this feature than users outside the U.S.

Again, not that this is any solace to you.  

Thanks for your answer. I’m located in Italy. The strange thing is that the station name is wrong, but any further information (track name and so on) is correct. 

@gaboz wrote:

Thanks for your answer. I’m located in Italy. The strange thing is that the station name is wrong, but any further information (track name and so on) is correct. 

It may not be any consolation but RDS is flaky here in the US too.  There’s one group of radio stations owned by the same company in my area where all of them show the wrong call letters but the track info shows properly.  All the other stations in the area though show proper station call letters though.  There must be something in the broadcast standard that allows different ways to send that info and the Clip doesn’t get it right with the stock firmware.

Yet another reason to give Rockbox a try…

@tnmats wrote:

It may not be any consolation but RDS is flaky here in the US too. 

Yet another reason to give Rockbox a try…

Yet another reason to call the station and complain. They’re the ones who input what gets displayed via RDS.

This firmware download doesn’t work. Downloads but then it’s like there is no info in the bin file. Not transferrable! 

@curiouscat wrote:

This firmware download doesn’t work. Downloads but then it’s like there is no info in the bin file. Not transferrable! 

Did you download it from the link in the 1st post in this thread? Did you extract the .zip file first? It seems to be working OK for me.

Are you following the step-by-step instructions above for installing the firmware?  Again, step-by-step?

Since the mp3 only costs $35, it’s basically disposable and not a high ticket item. IMO.

@tapeworm wrote:

@curiouscat wrote:

Did you download it from the link in the 1st post in this thread? Did you extract the .zip file first? It seems to be working OK for me.

Another thought . . . are you downloading and attempting to install the correct firmware for your player? If you try to put on one that doesn’t match it will not do anything, which sounds like what you are experiencing.

According to your posting history, you have never posted in the Clip Zip board before, or mentioned you had a Clip Zip. All of your previous posts have been regarding a Fuze model. Could this be what’s happening? The Fuze firmware is located here.