Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.18

:stuck_out_tongue:

Tape , that’s priceless!!

Time for a little firmware test drive…

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Play all is a wonderful improvement!!!

Two issues:

First, who’s genius idea was it to rename the folders?  Some of my folders have been renamed with a sort of character sequence prefix that does not reflect the original alphabetic order.  Now there is no easy way to determine which albums I have already copied over to the player. 

Second, my iTune AAC still does not work.  I wasn’t comfortable to post my files last time, and that won’tchanged; but these are legally purchased files in the last 3 years.  I do not think its too much to ask Sandisk to sample test them.    The player still just goes into lala land (gos blank black screen and does nothing)  when it encounters a AAC it does not recognize.  I had to hard reset, and ofcourse, when it cycles back, it tries again.

Sigh…the good news is, firmware updates are out.  The bad news is, I’m getting alittle tired of not knowing what you guys priority list is (as in communicate what feature and bug fixes you guys are focusing on on the upcoming firmware updates) - let down becomes inevitable.

@sevenup wrote:

Two issues:

First, who’s genius idea was it to rename the folders?  Some of my folders have been renamed with a sort of character sequence prefix that does not reflect the original alphabetic order.  Now there is no easy way to determine which albums I have already copied over to the player. 

Second, my iTune AAC still does not work.  I wasn’t comfortable to post my files last time, and that won’tchanged; but these are legally purchased files in the last 3 years.  I do not think its too much to ask Sandisk to sample test them.    The player still just goes into lala land (gos blank black screen and does nothing)  when it encounters a AAC it does not recognize.  I had to hard reset, and ofcourse, when it cycles back, it tries again.

Sigh…the good news is, firmware updates are out.  The bad news is, I’m getting alittle tired of not knowing what you guys priority list is (as in communicate what feature and bug fixes you guys are focusing on on the upcoming firmware updates) - let down becomes inevitable.

I don’t know about your AAC problem, but the folder renaming issue is an MTP mode thing. Sandisk has no control over that.

<— *joyful* :smiley:

Wooooo-hooooo!

PLAY. ALL.

Well alright!  Thank you for listening, SanDisk. Yer gettin’ my respect back… Thankies, thankies.

P.S. to SanDisk:

Maybe in future firmware updates, you might give us the *OPTION* of having “A” and “THE” in front of song titles and artists’ names again, for those of us who want it?

Going back and forth between the Clip+ and Clip Zip, it gets confusing, and annoying. An option for those who want it, along with an option *not* to have it for those who don’t, sure would be nice.

I haven’t received my Zip yet, but can someone with the new firmware check if the minimum backlight setting is still 15 seconds? I was hoping they would make it 5 seconds like the Clip+

@color43 wrote:

I haven’t received my Zip yet, but can someone with the new firmware check if the minimum backlight setting is still 15 seconds? I was hoping they would make it 5 seconds like the Clip+

It is still 15 seconds.

@sevenup wrote:

Two issues:

Try switching the player’s USB mode to MSC mode to avoid the naming issue.

For the aac issue, are you transferring them to the Clip using a Mac?  A Mac can create ghost files that can choke a player (or camera); freeware such as Hidden Cleaner and KopyMac for transferring from a Mac can avoid this.

@cx1 wrote:

P.S. to SanDisk:

Maybe in future firmware updates, you might give us the *OPTION* of having “A” and “THE” in front of song titles and artists’ names again, for those of us who want it?

Going back and forth between the Clip+ and Clip Zip, it gets confusing, and annoying. An option for those who want it, along with an option *not* to have it for those who don’t, sure would be nice.

+1 !

Thanks for the update, SanDisk!   :slight_smile:

And now, how about screen use enhancements, to add/add back in file time elapsed and remaining info., as well as track no. in list being played/total track no. info.?   :)   :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update, SanDisk!     Having Play All back is, once again, nice, handy and appreciated.

And now, how about screen use enhancements, to add/add back in track time elapsed and remaining info., as well as track no. in list being played/total track no. info. (without which one easily can get lost in album play)?     

@cx1 wrote:

P.S. to SanDisk:

This would indeed be nice, or better yet treat these prefixes like Winamp does; it still prints and/or shows the “The” but ignores in the sorting process, so artists like “The Beatles” for example still shows as The Beatles, but is sorted and filed under ‘B’.

@miikerman wrote:

Thanks for the update, SanDisk!     Having Play All back is, once again, nice, handy and appreciated.

And now, how about screen use enhancements, to add/add back in track time elapsed and remaining info., as well as track no. in list being played/total track no. info. (without which one easily can get lost in album play)?     

Yes indeed. It’s not like anyone’s asking for anything new or different. We just want back what was removed from the previous entire line of Sansa players. And it’s useful information that every mp3 player (except those with no screen obviously, like the iPod Shufle) should have, despite what the UI guy at SanDisk thinks

One shouldn’t have to use Rockbox just to get basic utility and functions out of this player.

What is RDS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

I still look for titles under “A” or “The”–my brain just internalizes those words as part of the name . . . .

@tapeworm wrote:

:stuck_out_tongue:

My sentiments exactly!   :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Yes indeed. It’s not like anyone’s asking for anything new or different. We just want back what was removed from the previous entire line of Sansa players. And it’s useful information that every mp3 player (except those with no screen obviously, like the iPod Shufle) should have, despite what the UI guy at SanDisk thinks

One shouldn’t have to use Rockbox just to get basic utility and functions out of this player.

What Tapeworm and Miikerman said.  Having time elapsed in the display missing is something even my 12 yr. old noticed and thought should be in there (gave her my old Clip when I got the CZ).

Oh, and while off topic, if anyone considers getting the slicone jacket for the player offered on Amazon for $5 do it.  I got it a few weeks ago it fits perfectly.