SD card for Clip Zip?

Hi All,

I’m new to the forum so please excuse my ignorance.

I already have a 4G & 8G Fuze (the original version) and am ready to order a 4G ClipZip after reviewing xcomments here.  I also want to buy a SD card with the ClipZip which hopefully will work on my other Fuzes, but don’t know which to order.  I saw something about 16G max being recommended by Sansa? (I use the players pretty much only for audiobooks).

I see both 16G and 32G Scandisk Ultra Micro SD cards on Amazon and they come with an adapter.  What should I order?

Not sure what the drill is, but am I right in assuming that the adapter is for plugging the card into a computer but the card fits directly into the Fuze? 

I also assume you download an audiobook to your computer, then with Overdrive Media Console “transfer” it to the card which in turn is plugged into the player?

Thanks for any advice or explanations,

Skipjack

Hello,

Yes the Fuze and all players have a max capacity of 64GB but because the Fuze+ has already an build in memory you cant have an 64GB sd card. All cards should be comptible with all 3 players.

I hope i could help you a bit.

Well, lots of views but no responses so I’ll answer it myself.

I called SanDisk and was told that the SD card should be no bigger that 18G and that the level can be 2 or 4, but no higher.  Also you can load books and nmusic from a computer directly to the card using the adapter or via the Clip Zip.

@schnuffyrex wrote:

Yes the Fuze and all players have a max capacity of 64GB but because the Fuze+ has already an build in memory you cant have an 64GB sd card. All cards should be comptible with all 3 players.

Huh? I don’t know where you’re getting your information but it’s wrong. The Fuze and all SanDisk’s players (Fuze+ included) will work well with cards up to 32GB. You can hack the newer 64GB cards (which are a new format, SDXC or exFAT) by re-formatting to FAT32 and use them too, but it isn’t officially sanctioned by SanDisk (or any manufacturer).

@skipjack wrote:

I called SanDisk and was told that the SD card should be no bigger that 18G and that the level can be 2 or 4, but no higher.  Also you can load books and nmusic from a computer directly to the card using the adapter or via the Clip Zip.

You were given bad information by whomever you spoke to at SanDisk. 1.) There is no such thing as an 18GB card (maybe that was a typo?). They were probably referring to a 16GB card and yes, some of the older User’s Guides indicated this was the maximum size. But that’s only because the Fuze pre-dated to release of the 32GB card, which as I’ve already stated (and can be attested to by many others) works just fine.

The advice about the Class 2 or 34 cards though is spot on. Actually, I don’t think any cards are even made in Class 2 anymore, but just avoid the Class 10 cards. They are designed for high-speed/HD video cameras, not mp3 players. It’s like trying to jam a Formula I racing engine into a Yugo; it just ain’t gonna work right. :stuck_out_tongue:

As to card capacity, keep your own needs in mind–do you need a lot of space?  

Also, note that at least the Clip’s database will only accept a certain number of files.  With a 32GB card and “normal”-sized songs, you likely will max out with the database–not be able to add all your songs to the card and have the database function as intended.  In that case (or with a 64GB card), if you still have more content that you wish to add, you could use the alternative Rockbox firmware on your player, with an improved database functionality.  

Obviously, 18 was a typo, and as I said, my info came from the manufacturer.

I ordered the 16G Level 4 which is more than enough space for the audiobooks I’ll be downloading. Between my 4G and 8G Fuzes, 2 iPod Nanos, plus a 1G Shuffe for exercise music I’m not likely to run out of space. 

My problem is that the iPods are really lousy for audiobooks - you can’t tell where you are and if you lose your place it can take forever to find it again.  It’s worse on the 6th gen than the 4th and both are difficult to cue with overly sensitive controls.