Questions about fetures

I have 2 questions, which support could not answer.

1 - If I have the player on shuffle will a song repeat at all before it’s gone through all songs in the library?  ie. if I have 1500 songs on the player, will song #5 repeat at all before playing the other 1499 songs first.

2- Will the player loose my place if restarted or pluged in?  ie. if I have played 50 songs and the player restarts or is plugged into a computer for charging, will it start my music over again when played?

The shuffle is, alas, imperfect, and people have reported repeats.  (But then again, perhaps that’s the nature of “shuffle”, as versus a “shuffle-without-repeats” feature.)  And when you turn the player off in the middle of a song, the player should pick up where you left off when you next turn the player on. 

1 - Quite possibly.

2 - Restarted? No. Plugged in? Yes. You will have to re-start your Play All.

OK, I can handle the repeat songs.  Now as for restarting the library, I have 8gb wirth of music that I will never listen to in one charging so why would it start my library over if I plug it in?  My zune would restart my shuffel after it has been turned off but not after it has been plugged in.  So if I plug it into the computer and/or restart the device my music library starts the shuffle over?  Thats a deal breaker for getting this device.

Yep, it starts the shuffle over, as far as I am aware (but I’m not absolutely certain about this–perhaps someone can experiment a bit and post here).  One possibility–I wonder if you could create a playlist of all your tunes and play that. 

@miikerman wrote:

Yep, it starts the shuffle over, as far as I am aware (but I’m not absolutely certain about this–perhaps someone can experiment a bit and post here).  One possibility–_ I wonder if you could create a playlist of all your tunes and play that.  _

Sure he could, but that’s not going to prevent having to start the playlist over after plugging into the computer. The problem is anytime anything on the computer reads the files on the player, whether it be A/V software or whatever, that triggers a database refresh upon unplugging.

But rather than considering it a “deal-breaker” and throwing the baby out with the bath water, imhotep could also use Rockbox firmware and not have to suffer with the way the Sandisk firmware is written to work. In fact, he wouldn’t see a database refresh at all; it does it in the background.

Rockbox’s shuffle algorithm is said to be better anyway. More random and does not repeat any songs until all have played through. I don’t know this 100% but that’s the scuttlebutt.

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Yep, it starts the shuffle over, as far as I am aware (but I’m not absolutely certain about this–perhaps someone can experiment a bit and post here).  One possibility–_ I wonder if you could create a playlist of all your tunes and play that.  _

Sure he could, but that’s not going to prevent having to start the playlist over after plugging into the computer. The problem is anytime anything on the computer reads the files on the player, whether it be A/V software or whatever, that triggers a database refresh upon unplugging.

Yep–just trying to offer helpful suggestions.

OK Tapeworm my friend, you have convinced me to try the SanDisk using the Rockbox firmware.  Seems straight forward and simple.  I have the guid saved already.  Thanks :slight_smile:

@imhotep wrote:

OK Tapeworm my friend, you have convinced me to try the SanDisk using the Rockbox firmware.   Seems straight forward and simple.   I have the guid saved already.  Thanks :slight_smile:

Never heard it called THAT before. :stuck_out_tongue: