Podcasts

Hi, I listen to a lot of podcasts on my clip+ and I’ve just bought a clip zip as a replacement after the clip+ gave up the ghost… I always liked the folder navigation option on the clip+ because I could navigate to the podcast folder, play the first one and it would automatically move on to the next when the first completed.

On the clip zip, you can’t access the podcast folder in the folder menu (as this only appears in the music menu!) and when you navigate to books and podcasts you can’t get a continuous play as you have to go through sub menus. This is a real annoyance as when exercising you have to stop to select a new podcast…

Any suggestions as to a workaround?

Thanks!

ok, I realised there was a simple workaround almost on posting my question - just rename the album for my podcasts to the same name for all podcasts before transfering them to the player then they’ll all appear in the same place in the podcast menu and will play continuously…

It would be nice if podcasts could be included in the folder view though as per the clip+

@simong56 wrote:

It would be nice if podcasts could be included in the folder view though as per the clip+

I’m waiting for the same thing

One possible workaround as well: create a GoList playlist of the podcasts you want to listen to in the session (in the database lists, highlight a podcast and press the center select button down to add the file to the GoList, and then repeat; play the GoList under the playlists listing).

I als would prefer to have normal access to all files via the FOLDER menu!

@bjarne wrote:
I als would prefer to have normal access to all files via the FOLDER menu!

+1.  I had assumed that would be the case. 

Appearently you only see files with valid ID3.2 Tag –> http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zip/Files-songs-missing-in-player-menu/td-p/252154

In normal navigation, the ID3 tags are essential.  There are many podcasts out there where the tag data is wrong or missing, making folder navigation the tool of choice for them.

If you use a utility like MP3Tag, those tags can be made quite easily, and you can set up your podcasts to play in sequence.

On the Clip Zip, my daily BBC podcasts automatically play in sequence without interruption.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Edit the ID3 tags.ID3 tag is a metadata container most often used in conjunction with the MP3 audio file format.  It allows information such as the title, artist, album, track number, or other information about the file to be stored in the file itself.

METHOD 1 - Using Windows Media Player 10/11
1. Open Windows Media Player.
2. Under Library , look for the file to be edited.
3. Right-click the file, then select Advanced Tag Editor.
4. Enter the proper data for the fields available (i.e., Title of the track, Artist Name, Album Name, Genre, Track number, etc.)
5. Click Apply then OK.

METHOD 2 -  Using Windows Explorer
1. Look for the location of the file.
2. Right-click on the file, then select Properties.
3. Click the Summary tab.
4. Click the Advanced >> button.
5. Look for the information you want to edit under Property.
6. Click the space under Value to edit the information.
7. Click Apply then OK.

This issue has not been resolved in the latest firmware release, SAD. I’m still using my Clip +.

Gary

It’s unbelievably frustrating that this feature is available on the plus and not the zip. I’d never have bought the zip if I’d known this was the case. Why take away features in a later version? It’s maddening.

Am not sure why SanDisk went backwards on this feature (as well as some others)–as if the engineers had nothing else to do with their time and “anti-develop”? Having said that, however, there are workarounds, such as by creating a GoList for one’s listening session–easy enough to do (although an additional step, that wasn’t needed before).

“Edit the ID3 tags.”

O.M.G.!  Are you actually suggesting I have to go edit every single one of my 100s and 100s of podcasts to get them to play on this stupid new Clip Zip?!?!

WHY can’t Sansa just get the idea that not everyone listens to music?!?!  I should be able to throw all my many and varied (tagged and untagged podcasts!)  onto my Clip (as I have always been able to do on my five original Clips  AND my Clip Plus – all of which I still use!)  and just PLAY THEM!  No searching through folder or menus or whatever – just PLAY podcasts, one after the other – without requiring me to do anything!  How unbelievably inconvenient!

I am really sorry I bought this new one! 

What is your issue?  You’ve picked up on someone else’s thread, that’s been inactive for 9 months, with no explanation why or what your problem is.  Are you looking for assistance with something?

If you’re complaining about how to play podcasts, have you simply put them into the player’s Podcast folder and accessed them through there?

Additionally, SnowTao:  in the future, please start your own thread as to your own issues and only ask once–you have posted similar issues in at least 4 different dormant threads started by others.  It gets very confusing to try to assist you, if that is what you are looking for. 

Snowtao, with the tool mp3tag from mp3tag.de, you can point the tool to your mp3’s, select them all and rewite all of the tags in ID3 format using cntl-s.  All of your tags will be updated.  I use it for all podcasts to make sure they are properly recognized.  That is the fastest way that I know of to edit your ID3 tags.