Plug power in, Sansa goes dead and overheats.

I had at least 4 of these devices die this way.  It doesn’t seem to matter what kind of charger, a wall charger, an auto adapter, or pc usb port. The device immediately dies, and the battery heats up.  If I plug it in again, it gets almost too hot to touch. And it’s not consistent, a charger I use safely several times, kills the device the next.

How can I reliably avoid this?  The user manual does not have any guidelines on how to avoid this problem.  I like the product, but I’m tired of them burning out on me.

Have never had this issue.  Either a defective Clip with its charging circuitry, or an issue with the charger being too powerful in its voltage for the player.

@miikerman wrote:

Have never had this issue. 

Nor can I say we’ve ever heard of such a problem. And Miikerman and I have been around here for quite a while. If it were a common issue, we certainly would’ve seen other posts about it.

This is my 4th to burn out this way.  It has not been the same charger.  Twice from two different car adapters, once from a wall (phone) charger.  I don’t recall the first time it happened.  I have seen this online.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/sansa-clip-won-t-turn-on-but-heats-up/td-p/154101

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Sansa-clip-overheating/td-p/140414

And the chargers that the clips were attached to have worked fine with them before.  Only other thing I can think of is perhaps that I plugged them in while the clips were on.  I recall that happened with two of them; I was attempting to “top off” the battery.

I’ll try to keep that in mind with the ones I have left, but it would be nice to have a confermation of some problem/solution.

@mross7 wrote:

This is my 4th to burn out this way.  It has not been the same charger.  Twice from two different car adapters, once from a wall (phone) charger. 

My guess is that someone thing you are plugging them into is damaging the device, and then eventually it fails.  

Sansa told me to use only 1 amp usb chargers, which is not in their manual.  So I did, and my latest player just burned out on it’s 1 amp charger.  I only had it for 10 months.

@mross7 wrote:

Sansa told me to use only 1 amp usb chargers, which is not in their manual.  So I did, and my latest player just burned out on it’s 1 amp charger.  I only had it for 10 months.

Silly advice from SanDisk–any charger from around 350mA and up (best is 500 mA and up) is just fine.  And no mA rating of a charger should cause a player to burn out–the player will only take the amperage it needs.  In contrast, a wrong voltage _ will _ burn a player out–the voltage rating should be 5V. 

@mross7 wrote:

Silly advice from SanDisk–any charger from around 350mA and up (best is 500mA and up) is just fine.  And no mA rating of a charger should cause a player to burn out–the player will only take the amperage it needs.  In contrast, a wrong voltage _ will _  burn a player out–the voltage rating should be 5V. 

1 Like

Are you using high quality brand name chargers? Generic chargers can damage equipment and should be avoided. Is your electric utility reliable, or does their voltage vary quite a bit? Perhaps with some chargers if the input voltage is too high, then perhaps also the output voltage might be too high?