Playing OGG tracks, freezes my Sansa Clip Zip

Hi

I have only twice tried to add ogg files to my SanDisk Ultra microSDHC 32Gb card I am using with my Sansa Clip Zip, and both times my player froze when it tried to play them.

I have simply copy/pasted the ogg files, so I didn’t use any software to manage the upload. When I upload mp3, I usually use Winamp player.

The ogg files are official soundtrack of games delivered with my purchase on www.gog.com.

Am I doing something wrong when I upload ogg files? The music plays without issue in VLC media player.

Thanks.

The Ogg decoder in the sandisk firmware is pretty buggy and really power inefficient. I talked to them years ago about sending some fixes (they use the standard open source decoder, just an older version and without a lot of optimization), but that was about the time they stopped really working on adding new stuff so it never happened. If you’re using many Ogg files, you should probably look at using Rockbox. I think battery life is 2 or 3 times longer due to optimizations, and compatibility is a lot better.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I have looked a bit over their website, and I think I’m gona give them a try, but tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it went.

It’s not like I have too much music in ogg format, but I like open source and a well done firmware. I hate when thinks are not officially supported.

cheers.

Hi,

I’ve just installed Rockbox and everything seems to be fine. The Ogg files are playing without any issue so the compatibility problem seems to be fixed. Battery life was not an issue for me because I mainly use the player as a music library always hooked to powersource, playing at least 8h/day.

It’s nice to see this project going strong and the support it’s gathering. I’ll have to get used to the new look (I like the themes and the fonts) and the menu itself. But I think I’ll manage it :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the great tip.

cheers.