Player gets fixated on one track

I have the 4 GB model.

Anyway, I’ve been listening to something, it goes to the next track, and nothing happens.  The little play icon is still at the top of the screen, but nothing happens.  The little marker indicating progress on the track never moves from the start.  I can navigate up and away in the file hiearchy, and into another folder, try to listen to something on that folder, and I’m back on the original track where I was stuck.  I’ve tried resetting the player a number of times, and that does nothing.  I’ve also updated the firmware, and that did nothing.  The original file isn’t corrupted, it’s just fine on my PC.  I have also deleted the offending track on the player, and it gets fixated on the NEXT track!!!

What do I do?

Sometimes, with inexplicable issues, if you reformat the player under its System settings, things go aright again.  But first, transfer any content you want to save to your computer, and then move it back to the Clip after the reformat–the reformat will delete all user content. 

Well, I listened to the rest of my file folder on my computer, and then listened to the next one (it’s an audio book).  The player would rush through the entire folder, like a file every quarter second, and just reach the end and repeats.  If I move to the next file folder after that, it does the same thing.  I reformatted the player, and it STILL DOES IT.  This is frustrating.

Well, I just went to the gym, and NO file will play.  Files either fail to play, as in my original problem, or the player just skips through the folder, as in my second.  This includes files that used to play.  This renders the player close to useless.

Please see the above.

I did reformat.

Ah.  You might also try manually reapplying the latest firmare (see the firmware sticky thread above), in case it’s a software glitch. 

Ah–then I’m stumped.  You might try reformatting (from the layer itself0 and reapplying the latest firmware again, in case this is a “2nd time’s a charm” situation . . . .

Uh…I just checked the firmware, and it said “V01.01.20A”

Why didn’t the updater update my firmware?  This firmware seems to be from almost five years ago.

EDIT: I think I figured it out.

Humble recommendaton:  get rid of the Updater, it just sits on your computer, always on, eating resources.  Instead, simply update the firmware manually–easy to do (see the firmware sticky thread at the top of the forum). 

@wackebanana wrote:

Why didn’t the updater update my firmware?  _ This firmware seems to be from almost five years ago. _

The Clip Zip was released in August, 2011 (2 1/2 years ago). The firmware version 01.01.20 was released in April, 2012, the following year.

Hardly 5 years ago.

@tapeworm wrote:

@wackebanana wrote:

Why didn’t the updater update my firmware?  _ This firmware seems to be from almost five years ago. _

The Clip Zip was released in August, 2011 (2 1/2 years ago). The firmware version 01.01.20 was released in April, 2012, the following year.

Hardly 5 years ago.

Picky, picky . . . .   :wink:

I have tried have also tried Rockbox, and I get the same problems with Rockbox.  It is obviously a hardware problem of some kind.  I guess I am buying a new player.

Or, it’s an issue with your files. 

What is their format?  How about their length (the player can have an issue with long files)?  Are they DRM (digital rights management) free? 

None of them are long, and they were all of supported formats.