Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 200 mb

Hello!
Just got my Sansa Clip Zip, updated firmware to 01.01.17 and everything was fine. Then I loaded music using my Mac, and when I got “not enough space” message I disconnected my player.

Now when I’m trying to switch my player on, I get “Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 200 mb” and it turns off. Neither Mac or Windows can’t detect player as a device so I can’t remove songs or format the drive (I tried at least 4 different laptops). Pushing “power” button for 20-60 seconds didn’t help.

Please help, how can I reset/reformat it?

I get this message when I try to sync to the external memory chip. It empty and 8GB but I only get the message with the external and NOT the internal…

@pavelbrylov wrote:

Hello!
Just got my Sansa Clip Zip, updated firmware to 01.01.17 and everything was fine. Then I loaded music using my Mac, and when I got “not enough space” message I disconnected my player.

Now when I’m trying to switch my player on, I get “Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 200 mb” and it turns off. Neither Mac or Windows can’t detect player as a device so I can’t remove songs or format the drive (I tried at least 4 different laptops). Pushing “power” button for 20-60 seconds didn’t help.

Please help, how can I reset/reformat it?

I get the same message after having loaded songs from iTunes on my Mac.  How do I reduce the 200mb?  Also, sometimes my Mac detects the player as a device, and sometimes it doesn’t.  And why doesn’t it say “7.8 GB” rather than “8GB” so fewer of us have this problem?  And how come the “manual” is so grossly insufficient to deal with any issue?  Obviously one gets what one pays for.

@gknoke wrote:

I get the same message after having loaded songs from iTunes on my Mac.  How do I reduce the 200mb?

Read this KnowledgeBase article. It’s usually not that the player is full:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/848/kw/not%20enough%20space%20for%20music%20db

Also, sometimes my Mac detects the player as a device, and sometimes it doesn’t.  

It’s probably set to the  infamous default Auto Defect mode. Change it to MSC mode in Settings > System Settings > USB Mode.

And why doesn’t it say “7.8 GB” rather than “8GB” so fewer of us have this problem?  

Does any other manufacturer? No.

And how come the “manual” is so grossly insufficient to deal with any issue?  

@All contingencies and situations cannot be anticipated or explained in a manual or it would be well over 100 pages long (example: Rockbox manual @160 pgs.). Most people don’t read the 10-20 page manual that is available now. That’s obvious as they come here to the forum and ask questions that are already explained in the existing manual. This is not unique to Sansa; it’s the same with any manual you get for any product these days.

Obviously one gets what one pays for.

Such is life.

I can’t delete songs—or do anything else—because the only screen I get is the “please free 200 mb” message.  Can’t reformat because, under disk utilities, the device, or anything related to 7.8 GB/8.0 GB doesn’t show up.  Can’t change modes (I had set it to MSC before it froze up) because I can’t get to any other screen.  

There are several issues at play here: the internal versus external memory (microSDHC), a Mac, MSC mode, and a quirky error message.

I’ll try to shed a little light on the error message first, Not enough space for Music DB.  Please free 200MB.  This message simply refers to corrupted blocks of memory, and how the Sansa interprets it.  There may be a number of files that are either truly corrupted, or the device cannot handle them, or the file allocation table can have errors.  The amount of requested “space” in the message can range from one file (message will be 6MB or so) to the “200” you see here, if there are multiple issues.

It’s rare that the device is actually out of space, unless you’ve tried filling up the device completely with a media manager like Windows Media Player, using the “auto sync” feature.  Note that, in this specific case, Windows Media Player will give you a “the device is full” error message before you even unplug the device, allowing you to correct the situation. 

The most common issue I see with this message is a corruption in the File Allocation Table.  This is a record, in all memory venues, be it a floppy disk, magnetic hard drive, or flash based memory, that tells the computer where everything is stored within that media.  It’s a critical piece of information, and if there’s something wrong with it, things will go wonky indeed.

If you have errors in the removable microSD card, the Sansa will have a problem when trying to build the music database.  Simply remove the card first, then see if the Sansa operates happily without the card.  You can either try checking the card for errors using a card reader and your PC, or use the Sansa as the reader when it’s plugged in.  This is a handy way to isolate the memory area with a possible corruption.

Let’s go back to the Sansa for a moment.  If the device isn’t accessible in MSC mode, turn it off.  You can try resetting the device, if it is frozen, by holding the power button depressed for 20 seconds or so.  With the device off, you can manually force an MSC connection by holding the center “select” button depressed while plugging the USB cable in to your PC.  This tells the device to connect in Mass Storage Class mode, as a flash drive.

You can now check the file allocation table by using the chkdsk utility from a DOS prompt (if you’re comfortable with old school), or go to Windows Explorer / My Computer and locate the Sansa.  Right click on the listing and select properties , then the Tools tab, then select “Check Volume For Errors” to see if the FAT can be corrected.

If not, you’ll have to format the device by right clicking and selecting Format.  This clears all data (media) from the device, so you can start anew, but you’ll have to reload your music over again.  Select FAT as the format if your card or Sansa is 2GB or less, otherwise, select FAT32.

The Mac has a nasty habit of inserting a little table of its own, those wee ._ entries peppered all over the place.  There are many forum posts regarding cleaning these up, search for “Mac” here on the forum and you’ll see.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

neutron_bob: In no way did your comment contribute to a solution. We got a good story, but that’s about it.

The solutions offered up by sandisk, and these forums, does nothing for a person if the computer fails to recognize the device and the device cannot be reset. It’s like offering up the ingrediants and instructions to make a cake, but having no oven with which to bake it.

Actually, eshay03, people have offered many suggestions in this forum to help users to get a computer to recognize the Clip.  

And it’s a bit unclear to me why you’re resurrecting a thread that’s over 4 months old, and then not offering any assistance of your own . . . .   Perhaps you can offer some constructive assistance?

Hi, everyone.

Finally, i arrived to the post that perfectly describe my problem. I’m running mac OS X and have a sanza clip zip. I couldn’t even listen to music for the first time when i got the error message “Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 200 mb”. Avoiding me to enter to the sanza’s menu.

When i connect it to my Mac, i doesn’t recognize it - Not even pressing and holding the select button, when pluging in into the Mac -. In these moments i can’t use my sanza, not even update the firmware, nor pluging into any Mac or Windows PC for format it.

¿Is there anything else that i could do to save my investment?

Thank you very much for your help.

@usjose wrote:

When i connect it to my Mac, i doesn’t recognize it - Not even pressing and holding the select button , when pluging in into the Mac -. In these moments i can’t use my sanza, not even update the firmware, nor pluging into any Mac or Windows PC for format it.

Press and hold the REWIND ( |<<) button while plugging it in to force MSC mode.

This knowlegebase article may also be of assistance:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/848/kw/not%20enough%20space%20for%20music%20DB

Note that there is a specific link for instructions on formatting if using a Mac.

Hi, Thank you for your answer.

Nothing happened when pressing and holding the REWIND ( |<<) button neither, when pluging in into the Mac.

¿Is there any other suggestion?

Thank you again for you answer.

How do any of your suggestions help when the pcwill not recognize the clip zip mp3 and the mp3 will just show the error and shut off every time. The mp3 was playing just fine and then started with this error. I was not even loading any music at the time. All the people that have listed the same problem and I do not see one answer from the help guru people that actually will solve the problem. This mp3 will not even reset muchless reformat and if it is not being recognized by the pc do I just trash it and look for another brand? It has played fine up until this error started. So is there any real help for this or am I wasting my time on this product? Would love some real help here.

I so agree with you. I don’t think they have any real answers otherwise someone would have posted something by now. I think it is just another piece of electronics that you get what you paid for…

Did either of you check out and try the solutions in the KnowledgeBase article that Tapeworm directed you to above?  That article is directed at this issue.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/848/kw/not%20enough%20space%20for%20music%20DB

Hi.

Yhank you for your answer.

Yes. I have read more thant 10 time the 848 thread. But it doesn’t apply for muy issue. When you read the issue i posted you notice that it’s different becuse the computer doesn’t recognize the device.

Please i need help.

Thank you

Hello Again, Everyone.

I Want to know how can i solve the problem i have with my Sandisk Sanza Clip Zip. I trusted on SanDisk, paying for this device, I also bought a SanDisk microSD card for it and i couln’t even use it for the firs time. I have read many forums entries (Also the 848 entry that Mr. Milkerman said) and the problem is not solved yet.

I want to know, dear reader: ¿ how can i solve the problem i have with my Sanza Clip Zip device?, ¿Who should y talk/write to?.

I appreciate so much your help. Please, reply something.

Thank you.

P.S. I have heard about buit-in obsolescence on devices, but so soon? (?). Please SanDisk Gurus, Some help here. Thanks.

P.S.2: I want to apologize for muy typo in the last reply, it’s not Yhank you but Thank you.

First off, have you tried resetting the device by pressing a holding the power button for 20-30 secs, releasing then pressing it again to start it normally?

Secondly, if this does not help, try leaving the Zip plugged in for a long time (pressing the REW button as described before). It may take several hours or even overnight for it to “wake up” and act right.

Do you have access to a Windows machine to see if you can successfully connect to that and re-load the firmware and/or format it? (Don’t forget the REW button hold while attempting to connect)

Will the player turn on when not connected to your Mac? If so, I would leave it on for a day or two to completely drain the battery. Then try connecting. Sometimes this is successful.

If none of this helps, I think you should probably call SanDisk Tech Support directly. they will probablty have you do some of the same things I’ve suggested, but if they cannot get it operating correctly for you, they can arrange a warranty replacement (provided it was bought new and is under warranty of course).

Good luck.

Hello, Mr. TapeWorm.

Thank you  so much for your response.

• I had pressed and held the power button for more than 30 seconds but nothing new happend after restarting.

• I had plug into my computer the Clip Zip for 2 days, but nothing new happend. It continues presenting the issue.

• I had plug it into a Windows XP Machine and also into a Windows 7 Machine. My Sanza is still failing. Neither of those computers recognize the sanza machine in neither of three different attempts. (Pressing REW while connecting, Pressing center Button while connecting, nor pressing power.).

• The device turns off by itsef, but i drained the battatery and charged it againg, and nothing new happened.

¿Do you know some other procedure to do before calling Sandisk?.

I’m a little bir far from U.S. right now, ¿Do you know if SandDisk Support has email or Cha available to get connected with them?.

I trully apreciate your help and the help of anyone who wrote in this post. Thank You.

Have a Nice Day,

usjose

@usjose wrote:

¿Do you know some other procedure to do before calling Sandisk?.

No, I don’t. I think you should contact SanDisk for a warranty replacement.

@usjose wrote:

I’m a little bir far from U.S. right now, ¿Do you know if SandDisk Support has email or Cha available to get connected with them?.

You can e-mail Sandisk, but be advised the whole RMA procedure will take a lot longer. Live Chat is only available in the US.

Contact information can be found by clicking here.

Thank You for Your help, Mr. TapeWorm.

Have a nice day.