New Sansa Clip Zip not working

I recently purchased a 4GB Sansa Clip Zip from Best Buy.  I got it in the mail yesterday, I charged it for the mandatory 2-3 hours before I used it.  It seemed to be working just fine until a couple of hours ago.

I was listening to it when the power on it suddenly died.  I could not get it to turn on, and when I plugged it into the computer, the computer suddenly would not acknowledge it was plugged in and the power on the Sansa would not come on.  No matter what I do, I can not get the computer to acknowledge its connected at all, it does not show up at all on the My Computer display.  It will not come on at all.  I plugged it in to all the USB ports on the computers and its the same problem.  I don't know what to do, I have only had it 24 hours and it just suddenly died.  I don't know what happened, nor what to do about it.  Can someone help me please?

SanDisk Guru

Re: New Sansa Clip Zip not working

Did you try holding down the power button for 30 seconds to reset the player?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

The processor of the Sansa also controls the USB interface, so if you hace a Clip that goes blank while playing a music file, it has "frozen".  The player isn't "dead", per se, it's literally "frozen" in execution.  Since the device has halted, it won't respond when plugged in to the USB port.  At first glance, it's easy to assume that the device is dead.  No worries!

The soft reset is the solution in this case.  Press and hold the power button for about 20 seconds to reset the device.  Release the button, and then power it up as usual.  Every time the device is powered off normally, it saves the end position (which music file was being played).  After resetting, the player will revert to this last played file.

Bob  Smiley Tongue

neutron-bob thumbs up for the solution. 

i bought the first clip-zip and after 3 days it crashed. i took it to the store, they sent it to the company for a repair, and after a week they told me that i will get a new one.

the new one crashed on the first day. I know i could ask for a new one every time Smiley Happy  if I ever want a different colour, all i have to do is bring it back to the store after a freeze.

i don't expect store owners to know how to fix products that they sell, but the servicemen at the company should at least know to try this method before even taking it apart.

SanDisk Guru

Here and presumably at SanDisk's Customer Service, a soft reset often is the first thing recommended.  At stores, it all depends if the salespeople know the product (and have even tried it out).  If I had to guess, typically, they don't, apart from a very limited number of products and/or based on personal experience.  

what is Sandisk doing about this issue? I have just encountered this problem yesterday, one day after I got the player. How often does this problem occur?  I do not wish to have this problem again, having to constantly reset the MP3 is a deal breaker for me.

SanDisk Guru

financialwar wrote:

what is Sandisk doing about this issue?

Nothing.

How often does this problem occur? 

Rarely enough that they don't see it as an issue.

SanDisk User

Reset. Hold Power Button over 20 Second. Leave the Power Button and Press Again the Power Button.

Leave Button is important.

[ Edited ]

Tapeworm wrote:

financialwar wrote:

what is Sandisk doing about this issue?

Nothing.

How often does this problem occur? 

Rarely enough that they don't see it as an issue.

I had my Zip going dead at least a dozen times over the last fortnight, I don't believe it is rare. I think Sansa should fix this issue or I am going no RMA my zip and buy an ...Ipod

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

This is a software bug.

MORE TECHNICAL ANSWER:

(a.) The device should shutdown when battery is critically low. ( The device should 'note' this auto-shutdown, see below. )

(b.) The device should auto-reset when charging from critically low. ( ie. any power-up, or after charging, if auto-shutdown OR manual power-down NOT used. )