Micro SD card

Hi everyone,

Just got my Clip Zip and plan on using all memory storage (internal & external) just for music. I set the shuffle to on and it’s a big

jukebox. I don’t care about playlists, I just want to hear the tunes in random order. 

OK, here is my question, the music folder is already already on the internal storage by default, do I need to make a music folder on the external  micro SD or can I just load all music to the raw drive?

Thanks

You don’t have to, but I find it helpful just for organizational purposes. Your player will see and play files whether they’re in a Music folder or not since it reads the IDs tags on the files.

:smiley:

I simply copied my various folders (1 CD per folder) onto the external card and everything has been fine.  In the course of all of this, however, I found a separate Music folder on the card as well–I assume that the player automatically created it for me.  As I already had my folders of music on the card, I haven’t used it (the Music folder) but it’s there if I want to move all my music folders into it. 

Tapeworm,

Thank you for the info. I thought at first I was up against something new. As I was pondering what I wrote on the forum, the clip I just bought was acting real strange. Shortly after my post, it froze with just the logo on the screen. Utilized the 20 second shutdown and that worked but powering back up brought the player right back to nothing but the logo. Amazon is sending a replacement. That’s what I love about Amazon, fast and efficent.

Miikerman,

Thank you also for the timely reply. Rather than repeat what I already replied to tapeworm, you will see the appreciation which applies to you as well. 

I have 4 different assorted clips dating back to the original and love all of them. 

Update: I thought I was finished with problems on a micro SD card but not so. Purchased a 32GB and have had nothing but problems. This is formatted as FAT32 and was able to load 3K music files and after doing so was able to see all of my music on the card using a PC.

Now the frustration, I pop in the SD card into the player and it only acknowledges 250 songs in the music folder. I’m using USB MSC mode but have tried auto as well.

When I use a 8GB SD card, there is no problem. Moving to the higher card is an unbelieveable let down.

@hgfire wrote:

Update: I thought I was finished with problems on a micro SD card but not so. Purchased a 32GB and have had nothing but problems. This is formatted as FAT32 and was able to load 3K music files and after doing so was able to see all of my music on the card using a PC.

Now the frustration, I pop in the SD card into the player and it only acknowledges 250 songs in the music folder. I’m using USB MSC mode but have tried auto as well.

When I use a 8GB SD card, there is no problem. Moving to the higher card is an unbelieveable let down.

Which firmware revision are you using?  If not the latest (x.18) it may not read your card.  There is a known bug in previous firmware revs in that the CZ would not read all SDHC brands of cards.  If you don’t have the latest firmware, update it and then try again.

I have a 32GB Sandisk card (class 4) I got 2 weeks ago and it works like a champ.  I loaded it with 29GB of music and my CZ has no problems with it.  It does take about 10-12 min. to refresh the database (the 8GB native storage on the CZ is also full) but that’s to be expected.

Using the latest FW (01.01.18A)

I may purchase another SD card but for now I’ll keep searching for an answer.

Thanks for your response though

Could be a bad card.

@hgfire wrote:

Using the latest FW (01.01.18A)

I may purchase another SD card but for now I’ll keep searching for an answer.

Thanks for your response though

Try the card in an external read/writer.  I bought an inexpensive ($13) Targus multi-format card reader at Walmart last week that handles microSDHC cards and about 20 other forms of flash memory cards.  The thing is very compact (fits in the palm of your hand) and only needs the included mini USB cable to run.  It came in handy for use with my wife’s digital camera recently.

One advantage to an external read/writer I found is it seems to write faster to the microsd card than my CZ does.  I get 4MB transfer speeds with the external reader, 2.5-3MB with the CZ (my 32GB Sandisk card is a class 4).

May I ask what brand of card you bought?  I’ve found sticking with a well known brand, like Sandisk, costs a bit more but the quality is more consistent.   Since another card works okay with your CZ it doesn’t seem to be the CZ’s read/write function.

If you’re looking to get another card, Amazon has Sandisk 32GB microSDHC’s for a great price, around $30-35 (price is fluctating a lot lately).  I bought my Sandisk 32GB from Amazon itself, NOT one of the vendors on Amazon.  It came in a Sandisk retail package so I’m pretty sure it’s legit; sticking with Amazon typically ensures you’re not getting some fake.  It works like a champ in my CZ.  The one I bought at the same time for my wife’s Android phone works perfectly too.

tnmats,

Just before signing on to the forum, I ordered the Sandisk 32GB from amazon and yes, it was a great price. I have the current card on test via (H2testw) to see the results. Not only do I think the current card might be bad, I think it maybe counterfit as well.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on this thread. I truly appreciate it.

Glad to see you found there was a problem with the card itself. Not happy that you have to deal with frustration, of course, but the test utility comes in very handy.

The 32GB cards are a prime target for counterfeiters.  As you’ve found, definitely purchasing from a reputable vendor is key.  Stay away from sources like eBay, especially for the 16 or 32GB versions.  Too many shady characters out there!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@tnmats wrote:

@hgfire wrote:

Which firmware revision are you using?  If not the latest (x.18) it may not read your card.  There is a known bug in previous firmware revs in that the CZ would not read all SDHC brands of cards.  If you don’t have the latest firmware, update it and then try again.

I have a 32GB Sandisk card (class 4) I got 2 weeks ago and it works like a champ.  I loaded it with 29GB of music and my CZ has no problems with it.  It does take about 10-12 min. to refresh the database (the 8GB native storage on the CZ is also full) but that’s to be expected.

Realy odd that I purchased a 8GB external card and I can copy mp3 to it and when I put it in the player and goto external there is nothing there, It says EMPTY?

HELP!

You might try formatting the card with the SD Association’s Formatter utility–it sometimes can help. 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

So true Bob, I should have known better.

The Sandisk 32Gb works as it should and the best part, I can continue my listening pleasure while driving. 

Gotta love it when things come together as they should.

BTW will do, I shall give the formatter you suggested a try as well, I have nothing to lose except the initial purchase of the bum card.