MP3 sound quality

Rhapsody dropped RAX format support this year, a real shame for those of us who have enjoyed the R-series Sansa e200.

As you’ve discovered, current Rhapsody media is now 160kb/s WMA (Windows Media Audio) format. This format is used for all of the current devices, and sounds very good, especially using the  v2 version of the e200. The advantage of using a newer device is that you have the Rhapsody Channels feature, no longer an option with the original R series.

Your ears are not fooling you. The problem is basic electronics. Though the processor of the new machines is superior to the older R series’ PortalPlayer chip, the diminutive Clip model has a much smaller power source than the big e200’s battery. The function of a digital audio player is to decode the data, and output a varying current signal for your headphones.

Quite simply, the e200 has more “horsepower”. If you use a more efficient earphone, especially the “in-ear monitor” type, you can recover a lot of that lost efficiency. The Clip strikes that fine balance between raw power, and play time. Overall, the sound of the little Clips is great, but there is a little difference that you can hear. The Austria Microsystems device does have a richer sound, but a little less impact; this is because the power source is smaller.

If you search patiently, there are v2 devices out there, but they were superceded by the original Sansa Fuze (the original one is square with a rotating scroll wheel). The v2 is actually an e200 case with a Sansa Fuze nestled within. 

I really like the Clip Zip. I carry one together with the Clip+, having different music on each machine. The Zip’s color display gives me album art like the trusty e200, and it’s size makes it really handy. But when I really want to hear the detail, that big e280 is the machine of choice. And its new 1300mAh battery lasts till the cows come home.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: