Looking for suggestions, making ripped cd audiobooks easier to use on clip zip

Hi gang,

Yes I did a quick search of the forums because I imagine this comes up a lot.  I use my clip zip for audiobooks all the time.  For a while my library carried most new releases as an MP3 Audiobook and that was easy as pie.  Unfortunately with the advent of everything downloadable they aren’t carrying this format as much and so I find myself with 12 CDs.  I have figured out that if I rip the CDs in Windows media player, and then go back and individually renumber each track, then rename the cds so they all have the same name and consecutive numbers, I can then drop the audiobook in my clip’s audiobook folder and it plays fine.  What I am hoping for advice on is a way to make the renumbering/renaming process easier.  A google search netted me a variety of freeware/shareware that are renamers, joiners, etc.  But you guys know the clip and I know from reading other posts some of you use some of these other softwares to “fix” tags and files… I am not a computer guru but I get the basics.  I recently checked out an audiobook with 8 CDs and each CD has 95 tracks (I guess if you are using a CD player it makes it easier to backup or find your place).  I don’t want to manually rename all those tracks.  Can you point me to the type of program that will help me the most?

Thanks Much!

MP3Tag is a nice ID3 tag editor and has many helpful functions, such as using filenames to create ID3 tags automatically, the reverse, and auto-numbering.  You might want to check it out. 

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

In addition to MP3 Tage, I use an MP3 file consolidator (there are several free ones to pick from). You rip the CD to your PC and then use the consolidator to “merge together” the many files into a smaller number. Then you tag then and number the tracks appropriately and presto! The consolidation means that instead of 100-200 files, you have as few as you like (I normally merge 20 of the small files into one large one). Hope this helps.

@del2015 wrote:

Hi gang,

Yes I did a quick search of the forums because I imagine this comes up a lot.  I use my clip zip for audiobooks all the time.  For a while my library carried most new releases as an MP3 Audiobook and that was easy as pie.  Unfortunately with the advent of everything downloadable they aren’t carrying this format as much and so I find myself with 12 CDs.  I have figured out that if I rip the CDs in Windows media player, and then go back and individually renumber each track, then rename the cds so they all have the same name and consecutive numbers, I can then drop the audiobook in my clip’s audiobook folder and it plays fine.  What I am hoping for advice on is a way to make the renumbering/renaming process easier.  A google search netted me a variety of freeware/shareware that are renamers, joiners, etc.  But you guys know the clip and I know from reading other posts some of you use some of these other softwares to “fix” tags and files… I am not a computer guru but I get the basics.  I recently checked out an audiobook with 8 CDs and each CD has 95 tracks (I guess if you are using a CD player it makes it easier to backup or find your place).  I don’t want to manually rename all those tracks.  Can you point me to the type of program that will help me the most?

Thanks Much!

1 Like

Thank you for the excellent suggestion of using a “mp3 consolidator” type program.

I found “mergemp3” at this weblink:

https://www.shchuka.com/software/mergemp3/

The program works amazingly fast and does not re-encode the files, so no loss of audio quality.

Then I use “mp3tag” to add my preferred ID3 tag data and these long files are ready for play.

This strategy may be useful for persons struggling to make playlists in their SanDisk players.

One warning, the Clip Sport and Clip Jam do not fast-forward very fast. 1-minute jumps at most.