Dead Clip Zip not connecting to computer

Ok, so I got a Clip Zip back last Christmas and it has been working fine up until now. The battery died so I went to plug it into the computer and the PC makes a little “boop” sound like a USB device connected and I start to see and sansa icon on the taskbar but it dissapears and when I check My Computer it doesn’t reconize the Clip Zip. The Clip Zip itself shows “transferring” but does nothing. My PC is running WIndows 7. btw. I’m a little lost on how to fix it. I held down the power button for 45 seconds when it wasn’t plugged in, and plugged it back only to have it do the same exact thing. Help please!

Reset

Unplugg. Hold the Power Button over 20 Seconds. Leave the Power Button and press Again!!.

This Reset the Player. The leave and Again is very important.

Ok, I tried the reset and it refreshed the player. It actually turns out it is a driver or firmware problem though because it started in MSC mode so I’ll just have to manually install the firmware. Thanks Koto!

@thekirkendall wrote:

Ok, I tried the reset and it refreshed the player. It actually turns out it is a driver or firmware problem though because it started in MSC mode so I’ll just have to manually install the firmware. Thanks Koto!

The USB connectivity mode is a user-selected option. MSC mode allows your computer to see the player as an ordinary flash drive. Connection problems are virtually non-existent in this mode which is why so many experienced users recommend it.

The other mode, MTP is only needed is you are using subscription-baseed content like Rhapsody, Audible.com or audio books downloaded from your library. In this mode the DRM encryption keys are sent over to the player alowing the files to play. This mode has many quirks and has caused problems for users and should probably not be used unless you really need it for the above-mentioned reasons.

The 3rd USB option is Auto Detect, commonly referred to as Auto “Defect” and should be avoided as it causes a lot of confusion. It will attempt to connect in MTP mode, but if it can’t it will switch to MSC mode. As your computer can only see files loaded in one mode at time, you can see where this could lead to frustration by those who aren’t aware of how these things work.

Just because it is now in MSC mode is no reason to re-install the firmware. There is nothing wrong with the firmware, but re-installing it will reset the USB mode back to the infamous Auto Detect, leading to the potential situations listed above.

Wrong is, the Player freez from Time to Time by unplugg it from Computer.

Take a look an Amazon User Reviews. The Clip and Clip Zip is Called Player of Dead.!!

90% from the Dead Postings is not Dead. It is freez. Here i must be Reset the Player 30 Times from Time to Time. Is an know Bug.

The Manual not Say that the User must leave the Button after 21 Seconds and Press Again.

Thank you so much for this! My player just died while I was at the gym today and it wouldn’t turn on again. My old Sansa Clip used to have a small reset button so I was looking for the same on the Zip. Glad I remembered this forum and now my Clip Zip is up and running again.:smiley_cat:

Great to hear! :slight_smile:

@airborne013 wrote:

Thank you so much for this! My player just died while I was at the gym today and it wouldn’t turn on again. My old Sansa Clip used to have a small reset button so I was looking for the same on the Zip. Glad I remembered this forum and now my Clip Zip is up and running again.:smiley_cat:

Just to clarify . . . The original Clip did not have a small reset button on it. One would reset it the same as the newer models; by holding the power button for ~20 secs.

The only difference was the original Clip had a sliding power switch on the side, whaereas the Clip+ and Zip models have a push button on the top.

But glad you got it sorted out regardless.