Connecting to an iPod dock

I am giving serious thought to buying a ClipZip to replace my 3rd Gen iPod Nano and possibly as christmas presents for family.

One thing holding me back is that I have quite a few stereo components with iPod docks which I use quite regularly at present.

Please can someone tell me whether it is possible to physically connect a ClipZip to an iPod dock.

It’s not vital that it charge via the connection, but not being able to output via the connected speakers will be a big problem and probably push me back to Apple.

Thanks in advance for your help

You didn’t search the forums.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Connecting-A-Sandisk-Player-To-An-Ipod-Dock/m-p/244518/highlight/true#M49034

The Dockboss+ would be a good choice to use with the Clip Zip.

1 Like

It depends on the dock. If your dock allows a 3.5mm audio cable connection (sometimes labeled "auxiliary or “aux”), you can use almost any sound outputting device. You just need a 3.5mm cable, which you can find in any store that carries minor electronics.

Example of 3.5mm cable:

If the dock doesn’t have that output, you’ll might be able to find an adapter of sorts to work with the dock. (Try searching for “3.5mm adapter for ipod dock”.)

On Google shopping, there a few companies selling the original Dockboss for $15.

http://www.google.com/#q=Dockboss%2B&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&ei=an-pTvaIEqnu0gGAr4ywDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=6&ved=0CBUQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=825eee6c2871e995&biw=1212&bih=718

The Dockboss+ is very new, and for now seems to be only available from the manufacturer for $30. Perhaps later others will discount it?

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockBossplus.html

1 Like

Thanks all.

Apologies - I hadn’t searched the whole Sansa forum, wasn’t aware all the different MP3 players were sufficiently similar, but thanks for the pointer.

Is there a useful summary of how the dockboss compares to the dockbossplus?

I’m in the UK so need to find a suitable supplier here. Worth bearing in mind that I’d need to add 50% of the cost of one clipzip to make it iPod dock compatible.

As far as I can tell, the essential difference between the Dockboss and and the Dockboss+ is the USB connection for charging (and data). You could read the Cable Jive website to see if they claim a sound quality improvement for the Dockboss+. The reviews on Amazon were good for the Dockboss, so if you don’t mind getting a separate usb charger for your car, or taking the player in your home to charge, then I guess the original Dockboss is good enough. You should try the German Amazon site and other European sites to see if they have the Dockboss(I doubt they have the Dockboss+ since no one in the US seems to sell it now except for the manufacturer. I guess in a few months it may be more widely distributed).

1 Like

There was also a mention of not being compatible with some VW and perhaps some Audi models. I don’t know if that is just for the Dockboss, or also the Dockboss+. Read the Cable Jive website for this information.

Using the VW MEDIA-IN dock port, there are several options depending upon the trim level in your VW.  Some will have a separate AUX-IN port on the center console or in the glovebox.  On the radio, you simply select AUX IN instead of Media.

The media controller firmware should also be updated if you have functionality issues, check with your local VW dealer.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@theocupier wrote:

Thanks all.

Apologies - I hadn’t searched the whole Sansa forum, wasn’t aware all the different MP3 players were sufficiently similar, but thanks for the pointer.

Is there a useful summary of how the dockboss compares to the dockbossplus?

I’m in the UK so need to find a suitable supplier here. Worth bearing in mind that I’d need to add 50% of the cost of one clipzip to make it iPod dock compatible.

According to the website, the plus is the same thing but also charges the player at the same time.