Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

As we are constantly trying to improve our product design and user experience I would like to ask for your feedback. While I cannot guarantee all feature requests will be implemented all feedback is taken into consideration. Please use this thread to consolidate Clip Zip feature requests, feature enhancement and feedback. Please let us know what you like or don’t like about the product and how we can improve the Clip Zip.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

Please give us variable speed playback with  pitch correction for podcasts and audiobooks. This doesn’t have to be continuous, but having choices of 0.8x, 1.2x, 1.4x, and 1.6x would be nice.

I hope the player Sandisk introduces next September has microSDXC card support, HD radio, variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction, and 50+ hour battery life(I guess that one will replace the Fuze+?) 

Also consider learning a lesson from Swatch, which at first only made plastic watches, but then later came out with ones with a metal case as well. It would be nice if Sandisk would make a premium edition of its players with an aluminum(or titanium?) case.

Having a digital display of elapsed time and time remaining(and not just a progress bar) is extremely important for those of us who listen to lectures and podcasts on the mp3 player. It would be nice if we could be given a choice to display album art or elapsed time and time remaining. Another idea would be to display album art just for music, and display elapsed time and time remaining for files in the audiobook or podcast areas.

@jk98 wrote:

Having a digital display of elapsed time and time remaining(and not just a progress bar) is extremely important for those of us who listen to lectures and podcasts on the mp3 player. It would be nice if we could be given a choice to display album art or elapsed time and time remaining. Another idea would be to display album art just for music, and display elapsed time and time remaining for files in the audiobook or podcast areas.

There is an elapsed remaining feature in the podcasts section. Left hand side shows how long has elapsed and the right shows time left.

@jk98 wrote:

Also consider learning a lesson from Swatch, which at first only made plastic watches, but then later came out with ones with a metal case as well. It would be nice if Sandisk would make a premium edition of its players with an aluminum(or titanium?) case.

Yes, yes, yes!  I’ve suggested this for years.  And perhaps do a play on Olympics medals, having a gold case, a silver-platinum, and a bronze.  The Clip Zip gets close to this with its silver/grey color version.

Now that’s a nice thought, a Clip Executive Version with a metal case would be really nice.  Not simply aluminum, but a steel clamshell would look and feel great.  Talk about a bulletproof Sansa!!

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Now that’s a nice thought, a Clip Executive Version with a metal case would be really nice.  Not simply aluminum, but a steel clamshell would look and feel great.  Talk about a bulletproof Sansa!!

I cant wait to test out the bullet proof player. 

Indeed!  I have one of the SlotMusic devices with its hard metal shell.  The little thing feels as solid as a Dunhill lighter.

@conversionbox wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I cant wait to test out the bullet proof player. 

Neither can Uncle Ted!

:stuck_out_tongue:

@jk98 wrote:

I hope the player Sandisk introduces next September has microSDXC card support, HD radio, variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction, and 50+ hour battery life(I guess that one will replace the Fuze+?) 

I don’t know about official support, but I bet if you formatted a 64GB SDXC card as fat32, it would work in the Clip Zip.  Have to wait until 64GB micro SDXC card exist to test it though.

With SDXC  support though, I would also expect the song limit to be expanded, perhaps to 20,000  or more. I guess this would mean the player needs to have more ram.

@jk98 wrote:

With SDXC  support though, I would also expect the song limit to be expanded, perhaps to 20,000  or more. I guess this would mean the player needs to have more ram.

If you could live without the database functions, and just use folder browsing and the GoList, then you could get by without adding RAM. 

I must say, these customizable menus are awesome. I have Music, and Settings…and that’s it! :smileyvery-happy:

It’s always interesting what people want and like–I just couldn’t see any real great value to that feature, apart from for those people who go to locations where devices with radios or recording capability are not allowed. 

@miikerman wrote:

It’s always interesting what people want and like–I just couldn’t see any real great value to that feature, apart from for those people who go to locations where devices with radios or recording capability are not allowed. 

How often did we see people complaining about the slotradio icon they couldn’t avoid in their menus, in the Clip+ and Fuze?

To me, it’s just convenience…why have to scroll through the things I am not using, and keep the screen lit that little bit longer, if I don’t have to?:wink:

It’s like your love for a clock-only screen…I’m a little mystified by that  (no offense, of course) . Just having the time there, that I can see, is nice enough. The Clip+ running Rockbox, I never used one of the themes with just a big clock, because I wanted more info than just the time. See what I mean? You want more info on the now playing screen, yet you also want a clock-only screen…seems contradictory to me. You’d need another button press to get to that screen, which would keep the screen lit up longer, eating up your battery…but I digress! :smileyvery-happy:

No, I get it–just always interesting how different things appeal to different people. 

And what can I say?  I’m a bling, info. and options junkie!  :slight_smile:

My thought on a Big Clock Display is simple:  the first touch of the controls after it blanks the screen, as in normal playback, does nothing.  Successive touches of the controls are interpreted as active commands.

Taks advantage of that first touch!  The display should wake up with a cool BIG time display, as the next touch will operate the device.  This option can be user-selectable in the Settings menu.

My preference for font?  Hey, we have a cool graphic interface, in color.  I would have a Nixie tube graphic like this:

At least, a big font with the cool characters would be great.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I really think that not having a clock screen is a lost opportunity.  I really like the Clip Zip’s having the time on the status line up top–_ many thanks for that, SanDisk! _  But look at how the separate clockface screen on a competitor player took off and, in fact, spawned a sub-industry!  And especially with different clockface options on the nifty Clip Zip color screen, this really could be quite fun and, yes, even exciting (ok, in a way).  _ People like bling. _

Just think of the buzz SanDisk could continue to generate, coming out with new clockfaces every month/few months.  And buzz is a good thing in this industry.

I really like your clockface there, neutron_bob–but some analogs would be nice as well.  Plus, how about the old placard style, where there is a placard that flips over for each number?  And I like your option as to how to get the clock, as long as it is user-selectable, as some people might want the default to be the what’s playing screen, which I think is very understandable; in that case, the clock screen could be a follow-up screen obtainable through further pressing of the select button, which could roll through various screens–first a detailed what’s playing screen (expanded form the current, with additional info.:  track no. info. (current and total) and track time elapsed and remaining or total), next a simple album art screen (like the current), next a detailed what’s playing and what’s up next file info. screen, and then a clock screen.

Really, this could be great fun!    :slight_smile:

Please bring back 2 things I loved about the display in my Clip: elapsed time in the track playing and the track number/total tracks indicator. I was quite surprised these two features were left out and they shouldn’t have been.

Also, gapless playback (if it doesn’t support it).  The irritating gaps in some LPs like “Dark Side of the Moon” or classical music really detracted from the music.  Some other players (yeah, some begin with “i”) can do it so why can’t the Clip Zip?