Reply
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,082
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: When is a new replacement for the zip coming out?

And since when is it fair to compare an iPhone to an mp3 player? iPod perhaps, but even so the cost difference is such that you can't fairly compare one to the Sansa Clip series of players.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 1,265
Registered: ‎04-24-2009

Re: When is a new replacement for the zip coming out?


jasontaylor7 wrote:

"Have you compared the price of an iPhone to a Clip Zip? Your comparison is just plain silly."

 

Thanks so much for the most excellent suggestion Mr. Martian.  $85 vs. $45.   For something around my neck so close to me that I use all the time I don't mind paying the cost of some veggies.  If sansa is competing just on price well they will lose hands down.  tf Mp3 players are going for $5 on ebay.  Including cables and earbuds!!!


I think you forgot a zero on that iPhone price. You could buy about 15 Clips for the price of an iPhone.
Newbie
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-16-2012

Re: Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

I know it's been mentioned before, but not for a while.

 

Please Please give us track#/total tracks and time played/time left. Both for all track types, not just the latter for podcasts.

 

In general, in the various play modes the displays are woefully short on information given the real estate. I couldn't care less about album art, I want to see information. An option to increase text size would be nice too, it would definitely help when you're tying to read it while running/cycling/driving.

 

Other than that, I love it.

 

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,082
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread


bruceb1 wrote:

Please Please give us track#/total tracks and time played/time left. Both for all track types, not just the latter for podcasts.

 

In general, in the various play modes the displays are woefully short on information given the real estate. I couldn't care less about album art, I want to see information. An option to increase text size would be nice too, it would definitely help when you're tying to read it while running/cycling/driving.

  



Agree with everything you say (as many others most likely do too). However, I wouldn't hold my breath; obviously there are 1 or 2 decision-makers at SanDisk that think they know better. Also, it's highly unlikely the Zip will be receiving any more f/w updates.

 

One can only hope these suggestions and features are put back into the next model that comes out. Smiley Frustrated

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

[ Edited ]

bruceb1 wrote:

I know it's been mentioned before, but not for a while.

 

Please Please give us track#/total tracks and time played/time left. Both for all track types, not just the latter for podcasts.

 

In general, in the various play modes the displays are woefully short on information given the real estate. I couldn't care less about album art, I want to see information. 

 


 

Smiley Tongue

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Newbie
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-17-2012

Re: timer and power saver

I notice that the Sansa Clip Zip has an option to "none" for power saver. 

Selecting this however does not seem to keep the screen from turning off even when plugged into a 5v USB power source.

Is there anyway to keep the screen active when plugged in?

Would this capability not be useful?

Would it require a firmware upgrade?

 

By the way the problem with the unit being recognized PNP on Vista Home Ed did not exist on my XP v3. Loading music using the XP PC on both internal memory (drive "N") and the SD card (drive "O") went without error. These drives were then also recognize when reconnected to the Vista PC. Gofigure...

 

Thanks for your help on the Vista...even though it was not sucessful initially, it seems to work ok now..

 

Please let me know if there is a way of keeping the screen on while plugged in to a 5v supply

 

Thx again

 

Newbie
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-16-2012

Re: Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

Marvin, Is this the result of some hacking? Or is it some Sandisk development code?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 1,460
Registered: ‎12-27-2008

Re: Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread


bruceb1 wrote:

Marvin, Is this the result of some hacking? Or is it some Sandisk development code?



Really neither, but you could call it hacking. Marvin is using Rockbox, a third-party firmware that installs in a "dual-boot" configuration, so you still have access to the stock Sandisk firmware should you want to switch back and forth.

 

http://www.rockbox.org/

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,233
Registered: ‎09-13-2008

Re: Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

[ Edited ]

I would like an e-ink or monochrome old style low power lcd display that is on the whole time the player is on . I hate these colorful displays that need to be off most of the time to conserve power. A digital watch can have its display on constantly for years with a tiny button battery. With an mp3 player, just having the display on while the player is on is enough.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread


JK98 wrote:

I would like an e-ink or monochrome old style low power lcd display that is on the whole time the player is now. I hate these colorful displays that need to be off most of the time to conserve power. A digital watch can have its display on constantly for year with a tiny button battery. With an mp3 player, just having the display on while the player is on is enough.


E-ink is an interesting idea, although I've never seen it on a truly small screen lik a DAP. I just pulled out my Nook Simple Touch e-reader, which has such a screen....I last charged it fully on the first of this month, and it has been powered on the entire time....and the battery display reads 80% still. It's been inactive, showing the screen savers,  for the last two weeks, as I had finished the book I was reading....but still, 20% battery use in 18 days is not too shabby.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520