CLIP ZIP WILL NOT WORK THROUGH FM STATIONS IN CAR-POOR QUALITY

I Purchased the clip zip . . .then returned it to Radio Shack as the quality of play through my car radio FM using a Monster cable FM transmitter was very poor. (static & very low volume even with radio sound turned all the way up). 

I have enjoyed the quality of the Clip + playing through my car radio for the past year–which is the main use for the MP3 player.     I thought the newest version (clip zip) would be the same or even better. I was sooooo wrong!! WHY does it not work like the Clip +???

Does SanDisk plan some kind of update to solve this problem? 

If they do solve it, I would buy another Clip Zip!!

Did you have the audio output settings set to “High” instead of “Normal” on your CZ?

Yes,clip zip volume turned all the way up . . . . just as I have always done with my clip+ in the past.  Unplugged clip zip, plugged in my old MP3 player (clip+) and the sound was great.

@josephino wrote:

Yes,clip zip volume turned all the way up . . . . just as I have always done with my clip+ in the past.  Unplugged clip zip, plugged in my old MP3 player (clip+) and the sound was great.

That’s not what I asked.  In the “System” > “System Settings” > “Volume” settings, was it set to “Normal” or “High”? 

In my Clip Zip with the “High” the volume slider at max will blow your ear drums out with any kind of headphones or with the FM modulator in my car.  If so you still can’t get enough output at “High”, then you got a bum unit.  I’ve had zero problems using the CZ with the FM modulator in my car, same unit I used with my old original Sansa Clip.

And if you set your player to the EU when setting up the player and its firmware, you won’t have the High Volume option–you need to set to N.America or Rest of World.  You can do this by a reset or reapplying the firmware.

Seeing how he bought it (and returned it) at Radio Shack, he probably doesn’t live in Europe, but yes I suppose, he could’ve set the region to EU by accident. :wink:

I just received my new Clipz, and found the audio level inadequate.  It was barely ok for use of headphones and didn’t drive the car fm  thingy sufficiently to be heard. So I installed the latest firmware (1/1/20) which was not pre-installed despite the unit being new this morning.  I then found this forum that stated that the volume adjustment was only present in the non-EU setting (I am in the UK so had set to EU). So I reinstalled the 1.1.20 firmware, set it to USA,  and set the volume to high. So far so good, the music volume is much higher. But now the FM does not work (signals are obviously received and RDS names shown but no audio).

Is there some difference between US and EU FM stations? I would not have expected any.  What can I do to have EU FM working but high(er) volume? I don’t know why the EU version does not have the setting, but we don’t need nannying so if it is an EU regulatory thing perhaps it could be re-instated.

Great that the device supports Vorbis and fLaC and does not need any M$ involvement even for firmware upgrades.  Nothing could be simpler than dropping a file into the root folder.

The US & EU use different frenquencies on the FM band. But there is a separate Region setting for the FM that should allow you to set the ‘main’ region to US (or Rest of World) to bypass the EU volume restriction while setting the FM Region your particular geograghical location so you can pick up the local stations there.