8 GB Sansa Clip Zip turns off after playing specific tracks

Dear Forum Membrs

I have recently acquired an 8 GB Sansa Clip Zip to use with my Ubuntu Linux laptop.  The firmware on the mp3 player is V01.01.21A.  I have the Sansa Clip Zip set to MSC, and have since I started using it.  I have never used auto format or MST.  I use Rhythmbox Music Player to store my music files in FLAC format.  I only use tracks I have downloaded from my personal CD collection.  I have come across the strangest problem I have ever encountered in portable media.  It amazes me to say that my mp3 player shuts down, and has to be reset before functioning again, when very specific tracks are played.  The player plays the track as normal, but then, instead of transtioning to the next track, simply shuts down.  This issue persists no matter what state of charge the battery is in.  Here are the solutions I have tried thus far:

1.  Obviously, I deleted the album from the mp3 player with the defective track, and then reinstalled it.  Problem persisted.

2.  I reformatted the mp3 player, and reinstalled each album.  Problem persisted.

3.  I reformatted the mp3 player, and then reset the mp3 player to factory settings.  Problem persisted.

I have checked the ID3 tags, those seem normal, and the offending tracks play just fine on Rhythmbox, which indicates there is no problem with the laptop downloading the CD files correctly.  I was hoping someone here could offer some suggestions as to what I can do to remedy this problem, or if I need to use my warranty to acquire a new one.  That is, of course, if this isn’t a common problem for the Sansa Clip Zip…  Many thanks all!

Additional information: the track is downloaded onto my microSD card, but the same effect occurred when I placed the track onto my Sansa Clip Zip’s internal memory.

Hi there,

Just thought I would create a log in to say the same issue exists for me.

I have a 4 gig version.  I am using a 32 gig storage card.  I have all my files ripped from original cds as flacs.  The device is essentially unuseable.  You can go one track or maybe 4 and thats it.  I do notice that some tracks seem to be device killers (well, in my limited ability to use it, for instance I know of one track that will only play once and then shuts the device down).

All the shutdowns require the 10second hold and re power on to get things going.  Glad I only paid for the 4 gig version - its not really even worth trying to replace with postage/hassles involved of dealing with Amazon for another one.  I’d love to get it working as the form factor is nice.  Heck, I bought an Ibasso dx50 and expected issues and its been faultless, I bought this expecting no issues and its basically been a brick.

Any guess on what might make this thing work?  I updated the firmware but iin reality I already had the most up to date firmware so that did nothing.

And what is the format of the files that cause the player shut-down–is it a format that the Clip fully supports?

@miikerman wrote:

And what is the format of the files that cause the player shut-down–is it a format that the Clip fully supports?

I believe both posters indicated that it was FLAC files that were causing the problem.

Has either of you tried ripping these files from your CD’s with another program?

I burned with EAC - all of them.  So how one track burn result would differ another when the end result is a flac I don’t quite get.

edit -sorry, I ripped to flac with EAC (not burned).  And now the battery is dead (in like no time and it wasn’t even being used).  I wonder if I have a dud.

@sansaorange wrote:

I burned with EAC - all of them.  So how one track burn result would differ another when the end result is a flac I don’t quite get.

Neither do I. I’ve used EAC for years and have never encountered what you describe. Do you have any large album art embedded in the ID3 tag? Any extraneous information contained in the Comments field of the tag?

Well, I can nail it down to one track that definitely is a repeatable problem - it will play it and then at the end, done.  Angus and Julia Stone; Big Jet Plane.  Obviously there are others but this one is a deal breaker - its stopped the player dead every time at the very end.  It won’t go onto the next track (be it in a all songs list or the specific album list).

I don’t know what it could be about this track (or the others that I haven’t narrowed it down to) that is unique.  Other tracks on the same album (and by default the same EAC extraction) don’t do it.  Its a 26,706kb file, not the biggest or the smallest of the tracks on this album.  The jpg album art is 96kb and I have no idea if its embedded in it.

Regardless, that track is definitely a stopper for the player but its by no means alone.  My wife took it out for a run today and said she did 6 restarts before finally just giving up on it and doing without for the balance of the run.