new sansa clip plus 8gb not detected but charging

i got a sansa clip plus 8gb as a present. brand new but old stock. everything works fine. except its not detected by pc. it does charge.  i installed the disk but i think it only installed rhapsody. can i totally skip the rhapsody part? total newbie to sansa mp3. im using windows media player version 11, vista ultimate 64 bit

ok now its working i used the usb cord provided with the device. i have a 10 usb cords here didnt think that would affect it

Well, since you solved your own problem by using the cord designed to work with it, let me address your other question?

No, you don’t need the install the CRhapsody whatever from the disc. In fact, most units don’t even come with a disc. Unless you want to try it for a limited-time free trial. After that it’s a pay-to-play music service. As long as you pay, the music will play. Kinda like renting your music.

Well, since you solved your own problem by using the cord designed to work with it, let me address your other question.

No, you don’t need the install the CRhapsody whatever from the disc. In fact, most units don’t even come with a disc. Unless you want to try it for a limited-time free trial. After that it’s a pay-to-play music service. As long as you pay, the music will play. Kinda like renting your music.

If you have any CDs, that’s the perfect source for your music to put on the player. You already own the, and I assume like the music on them. You’ll have to convert, or ‘rip’ the CD’s to a format the player can read, like MP3, but that’s easy. Windows Media Player and many other music management software programs will do it for you. Then just drag & drop, or copy the converted files from your computer to the device. :smiley:

Well, since you solved your own problem by using the cord designed to work with it, let me address your other question.

If you have any CDs, that’s the perfect source for your music to put on the player. You already own them, and I assume like the music. You’ll have to convert, or ‘rip’ the CD’s to a format the player can read, like MP3, but that’s easy. Windows Media Player and many other music management software programs will do it for you. Then just drag & drop, or copy the converted files from your computer to the device.

1 Like

As a general matter, any generic USB cable with the right plug ends should be just fine with your player. My hunch is, there may be some issues with the USB cables you tried (something you might want to check out, by the way). Sometimes I use the USB cable that came with my Clips, sometimes I use one of my many generic cheap-o cables; six of one and half-a-dozen of another–they all work just fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@miikerman wrote:
As a general matter, any generic USB cable with the right plug ends should be just fine with your player. My hunch is, there may be some issues with the USB cables you tried (something you might want to check out, by the way). Sometimes I use the USB cable that came with my Clips, sometimes I use one of my many generic cheap-o cables; six of one and half-a-dozen of another–they all work just fine. :slight_smile:

There are cables out there that don’t transfer data, only charge…

1 Like

And that’s true as well, offering another explanation. 

1 Like

yeah forgot about those i have tons of em and a few data cables