deinstitutionalize or factory restore

I found a firmware dumped from one of these prison players, and its labeled “V01.03.23A”, which is an odd version that I’ve never heard of. Also mentions an AAC decoder, which the clip+ should not have. As for how to update it, I have no idea.

1 Like

i have not tried to put new firmware into it, how would i try this?

Again as I explained, there is no (consumer) known way for you to do this. Pay the 25 bucks and send it in so they can do it. They have these things locked down pretty tight; nobody to my knowledge has found a way to circumvent it.

Just follow the manual firmware update instructions on these forums. But my guess is that your device will refuse to update.

@saratoga wrote:
Just follow the manual firmware update instructions on these forums. But _ my guess is that your device will refuse to update. _

According to others who have had one of these that will be the scenario.

There is always http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxUtility#Download

what would rock box do?

This is the alternative firmware provided by the community.  There may be problems with patching though.

Yeah if you can’t update the firmware there would be no way to patch it either.

@black13662 wrote:

i am trying to deinstituitionalize my sansa clip + has anyone done this? could a factory restore do this for me?

Who do I send the $25 to?

1 Like

Did the Bureau of Prisons provide you with the information?  I believe it has it.

my dad just got out and I have his trying to unlock … he was told Radio Shack will do it for $15, although have not verified … from what I can tell it’s got some NSA level firmware as I’ve found others who cannot crack either 

I haven’t heard that Radio Shack has this capability, but by all means check it out. I think you have to send it into a specific company, and if I recall correctly it’s $25.

Try to find a Radio Shack–they are all closing.

Here’s the official info.

http://www.corrlinks.com/MP3Reset/

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12839/~/atg-mp3-player-deinstitutionalization-and-warranty-processing

I would like to know how I could revalidate my player until I can get it serviced.

There’s no way to revalidate without getting the service in the links two posts up.

There is a program called iCare Data Recovery they will need to get by searching google, free version is available.  There is a size limitation on how much you can download on the free version but if you post how much you like the program on a website or facebook they claim they will give you a code to unlock unlimited recovery.

Once installed on any windows machine just plug the mp3 player in and open the program.

When the program comes up click on lost partition recovery and click next.

You should now see where it list Sandisk Sport Player so highlight it and click next.

Will take roughly 15 minutes to discover all music on the device.

Click to download all files that have been discovered.

Viola, you have your music back.

The mp3 player, I connected with a JTAG yesterday and bleep they have it locked down (JTAGS connections are on the front of device under the cover). After I played around with the firmware I can say getting the player to work again is never going to happen, they have a hex file to program the device but it has a flag in the programming to specifically note when the device has come from an institution.

I told myself I never would pay to get something I already purchased back and I can say I didn’t have to!

icare2.JPG

icare3.JPG

icare4.JPG

After a long wait the step by step illustrated guide of how to unlock the sandisk sport is now up.  Instead of posting it here I just posted it to the blogpost.  Do hope this helps someone and remember to download your music with the icare method first, don’t feel like decrypting the firmware to enable saving music when an option is already available.  sandisksportfirmware.wordpress.com

And make sure you try https://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/ which is free after you dump your music back on the player, nothing nicer than album covers for all the music to appear.

Sport firmware is probably not going to load on the Clip Plus.