clip zip vs clip sport

is the clip sport the same as the clip zip i mean can i create folders and put my media in there will it hold media with high gb and mb like if a song has a large amount of gb or mb can i listen to while it is charging from the outlet what cant the clip sport do that the clip zip can do?

The Clip Sport is a limited player. Nothing at all like the Zip.

There are numerous discussions about the differences here. I suggest browsing around and reading them.

i currently have the clip zip and i use it for binural beats and isotones can i do that with the clip sport the files on those are rather high

The Clip Sport indeed is like the Clip Zip and Clip+, but has firmware and hardware limitations.  Unless you need the longer battery life of the Sport or really like its look, I would opt for the earlier–and still available–versions.

Large files actually speak for the Sport with its 2000 files (per drive) limit – you’re less likely to exceed it. This as a counterbalance to an actually unfavorable feature.

There’s some really positive aspects, too: It has the clearly highest output power and (to my ears) the best sound quality of all Clip models.

My second choice would be the Zip. It would be the first if functionality were my main concern.

@jazz wrote:

There’s some really positive aspects, too: It has the clearly highest output power 

I kind of doubt this.  Source?  

Personal experience. No other player can play so loud – tested with the same earphone.

Seems unlikely. Most of the sandisk players are within a few dB of what you can do on a 3.3v power supply. if you hear much difference, its probably not a fair comparison (e.g. volume is set differently, EQ precut, etc).

Of course volume is set differently! I’m talking of maximum undistorted volume. Try it for yourself before doubting my results!

I don’t understand what your reply is trying to say. Regardless, my point is that your observation doesn’t seem plausible, so probably some mistake was made or something overlooked.

I just tested it again. I used the Sennheiser HD 800 to avoid hearing damage.

Summary: Both players have almost the same output level, the Sport having more bass.

I also discovered the reason for the dicrepancy to my previous finding: I exclusively listen with EQ on, about the same settings in both players. Now in this mode the Zip decreases the gain (by 6 dB?), whereas the Sport does not. I simply haven’t noticed that before or rather forgot about it. Actually I don’t understand how the Sport can avoid clipping under this premise.

So: sorry for my misinformation!

One could say that the Sport has much higher output power than the other Clip models when you use the equalizer. Although the difference is with the gain, the effect of higher gain allows for approaching the maximum output power, whereas Clip+ and Zip are far below that.

@jazz wrote:

Summary: Both players have almost the same output level, the Sport having more bass.

Both have the same bass response in RMAA, so probably this means the volume is very slightly higher on the Sport.  People typically hear a ~1dB difference as “more bass” since your hearing is more sensitive at lower frequencies and small differences in volume are very difficult to percieve directly.  

@jazz wrote:

I also discovered the reason for the dicrepancy to my previous finding: I exclusively listen with EQ on, about the same settings in both players.

“about the same settings” is not good enough.  The difference between any two players is going to be much smaller than the difference between two EQs.  Listening like that is just a waste of time.

@jazz wrote:

Now in this mode the Zip decreases the gain (by 6 dB?), whereas the Sport does not.

Thats how a digital EQ works.  It can’t boost frequencies, only lower them.  So if you raise one frequency by X dB, you have to lower the gain by X dB or you get clipping.  

I know that that’s the way a digital EQ works. But for some reason the Sport can renounce reducing the gain and doesn’t distort nonetheless. That’s why it has effectively higher output power with activated equalizer, since Clip+ and Zip don’t have enough gain to reach the upper limit.

@saratoga wrote:

Both have the same bass response in RMAA, so probably this means the volume is very slightly higher on the Sport.  People typically hear a ~1dB difference as “more bass” since your hearing is more sensitive at lower frequencies and small differences in volume are very difficult to percieve directly. 

Thank you – but I can discern very well between loudness and a difference in sonic balance. The Sport has definitely more bass than the Zip (let’s say with the HD 800 as load). That may be one reason I consider it sonically better. Although sonic differences can and may have other causes (e.g. the harmonic distortion pattern).

“about the same settings” is not good enough.  The difference between any two players is going to be much smaller than the difference between two EQs.  Listening like that is just a waste of time.

You’re wrong again. I use somewhat deviating settings because of the different sonic characteristics of the two player models. Believe me, I know what I’m doing! BTW, it’s not a waste of time because I like what I hear this way. :smileyvery-happy: