clip won't show up as connected to computer.

Great to hear–and I’ll take you up on the drink, which I could use right now (altho, I guess I owe a bunch of drinks to others as well!).

Best to update to the latest firmware (see the sticky thread at the top of the forum)–lots of improvements, and then you can set your player to MSP mode and then run smooth.

:slight_smile:

well, more problems … even though I synced a playlist, there is no playlist in the clip.  All the songs are there, but no playlist.  Not even a folder for playlists in the clip.

I had one before and the volume know broke … I RMA’d it, and this one is nothing but problems :frowning:

I was successful in updatingthe firmware, the corect vesrion is showing.

BUt should I still have to lock and hold center button when connecting?  Because I do … that’s the only way the comp will recognize it.

There are some new folders in the clip now … but still no playlist folder.  I’ll try to sync a playlist again

No fair.  Computer finally recognizes it, but only in hold and when you press the button.  Finally the firmware is updated, but it doesn’t know what a Playlist is: http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6937/playlistss1.jpg  

And now it’s 10:30 pm.  I’ve officially spent OVER FOUR HOURS on this problem … and I won’t have music in the AM, that is not fair.  I’m gonna RMA this one now too …  it shouldda worked outta the box like the first one. :frowning:

Oh my gosh!
Thanks a million!! I tried so many things and this worked like a charm.

I owe ya. 

@caseyrockstar wrote:

I was successful in updatingthe firmware, the corect vesrion is showing.

BUt should I still have to lock and hold center button when connecting?  Because I do … that’s the only way the comp will recognize it.

There are some new folders in the clip now … but still no playlist folder.  I’ll try to sync a playlist again

With the updated firmware, go to Settings/USB and set it to MSC–then you won’t need to use the hold/center button method.

@glamnerd wrote:

Oh my gosh!
Thanks a million!! I tried so many things and this worked like a charm.

Great to hear–be sure to upgrade the firmware to the latest and set Settings/USB to MSC, and the connection should be made without needing to use the hold/center buttom method.

Thanks so much … the Sansa messaging tech help didn’t know any of the inof you;ve given me.

Now if I can just get it to recognize Playlists, I’m finally set.

Thanks miikerman. You know far more than the Sansa tech people who trade e-messages on their RMA site, I’m serious.  Thanks again for all your help. 

One last issue maybe you can help with: This is an RMA replacement, and I think it’s a lemon: I use Windows Media Player to make playlists, then sync them exactly as I did with my previous Clip.  The WMP sync scren says it worked fine, and all the SONGS listed in the playlist are in the Clip. 

But NO PLAYLISTS!  Not even a folder called “Playlists” : http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6937/playlistss1.jpg

I must stress this I have done exactly what I did before to sync playlists, and it always worked. 

… in addition, the clip DOES HAVE a “Playlists” menu, but the GoList is the only one that it shows, even after “successful” playlist syncs.

In My Computer, the Clip has no Playlists folder on it, and as the screenshot shows, there’s no Playlists folder in the WMP Clip display.

@caseyrockstar wrote:

Thanks miikerman. You know far more than the Sansa tech people who trade e-messages on their RMA site, I’m serious.  Thanks again for all your help. 

Now, that’s a frightening thought.  :wink:

Unfortunately, I’m not a playlists sorta guy (I listen to full CDs, typically)–hopefully, one of the playlist gurus here can help you.  Sorry 'bout that.  You might also want to try a search on playlists, if you haven’t yet done so, using the search box above.

Even connecting the USB cable (between the Clip and the computer while pressing the Clip’s center button) down does not bring the desired results. :frowning:

My Sansa Clip still does not appear as connected to computer.

BTW: On my installation CD  there is a file “sansa installer.exe”.  But clicking on it on my screen appears only a User Guide in PDF. Is it OK??? Is it possible that I have not yet installed a sansa installer because of this?

I don’t know a specific answer here, bu I didn’t get a disk with my Clip ??

Go to the link below.  Select the Clip from the drop down menu.  Here you will find everything you need.

Sansa Support Link

Go Sansa!

As far as I’m aware, the only Clip packages that came with a CD are those bought at Best Buy; the CD contains Best Buy music store software.  (It also may have included Rhapsody software, available at the Rhapsody site, and perhaps the Clip User Guide, available through the Clip specifications sticky thread at the top of the forum.)

It is frustrating but I’ve spent long hours on this problem.

My PC has Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I have tried (almost?) everything:

1. I downloaded and installed the latest Windows Media Player

2. I downloaded and installed the MTP Porting Kit

3. I tried to g o to Settings > USB mode & select MSC but in vain - because There ISN’T an area for USB mode in settings :frowning:

1. I tried plugging into a different USB ports in the back of my computer as well as in the front.

I have put in hold before pressing the center button and connecting. No response.

The device obstinately does not show up.

May the problem reside in defective Sansa Clip device?

Message Edited by Mikulas on 07-12-2008 12:24 AM

Message Edited by Mikulas on 07-12-2008 12:26 AM

I’m having the same problem as Mikulas with a some additional problems.

I used the Clip on Win2k for 6 months with no problem.  It started showing up intermittently and now it won’t show up at all.  It won’t show up on WinXP and never did even when trying to use MSC mode.  It used to show up on Vista and now it won’t show up there either.

I have an FM transmitter for my car that has a USB charging port on it.  It used to work fine and now when I unplug the Clip the screen shows “refresh database” and it resets the player as if I had unplugged it from a computer.  I then have to scroll through my mp3 list to find the one I was listening to. 

Also, sometimes the Clip won’t come on when I slide the power switch and I have to hold the switch for anywhere between 5-60 seconds to reset it.  My wife has a Clip also and hers occasionally does this also, but her’s is still showing up when she connects it to the computer, so apparently this problem isn’t related to the others.

It still playes the mp3s that are on it, but if I ever want to change them, I’m SOL. 

I’m pretty sure mine is crapped out but I’ve only had it for 6 months and I’m not excited about being without a player for however long it takes to get fixed/replaced.

I though about flashing the firmware to see if it would sort of ‘reset’ it but since I can’t get it to show up any of the computers, I don’t see how I can flash it.  Just wanted to post here to see if anyone has any ideas.

gweedoh, is your Clip set to MSC mode? If so, and doesn’t work as it should, I recommend calling Sansa Tech Support. 6 months? Should still be in warranty and the waiting period for a replacement is not that long – usually a few days.
Message Edited by MeridianConstru on 07-15-2008 06:32 AM

ok wats the deal it wont show up on a windows xp but it WILL show up on a Fuse laptop. Whats the deal with this??

Does your XP have the Clip’s requirements, SP2 or above and WMP10 or above?  If so, try other USB ports/a different USB cable.  Also try switching the Clip’s USB mode to MSC.