Windows Explorer/My Computer and the Clip

@itisonlyi wrote:

Yes, the Clip is now recognized by Explorer, and in that mode is functioning perfectly.

But Winamp is not. The Clipis not recognized.“Portables” is greyed out.

Perversely, before switching to MSC, the Clip was recognized by Winamp, although playlists created there did not work in the Clip.

I have checked the winamp.ini file for each section and individual entry you mention. None of them are present. On my system the ini file is in the Program Files section, and it is the only one. I did a search of the entire disc thinking there might be duplicates.

I then went to the Winamp/options/preferences/music library/local media section and manually added my Clip folder. And rescanned all. That had no effect.

There are plug-ins for iPod, Creative, and Plays-for-Sure. Do I need a plug in for the Clip?

Awaiting your advice…

Thanks

Steve

Hmm…  I’ve never had that much trouble getting Winamp to notice a USB drive.  You can try to force Winamp to recognize it:

• Connect your Clip to the computer, note the drive letter
  • Open Winamp
  • Go to Options\Preferences
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the tree on the left side of the Preferences screen
  • Select Portables under the Plug-ins node
  • On the right side, select “Nullsoft USB Device” (this is the driver used for all MSC mode devices, the PlaysForSure one is the MTP driver)
  • Click the “Configure selected plug-in” button
  • On the popup screen, select the  drive letter of the Clip in the “Manual Connect” drop-down
  • Click the “Connect this drive” button

If that doesn’t do it than I would guess something is wrong with Winamp.  In which case you should uninstall Winamp, delete any leftovers in Program Files\Winamp and in your user profile (%AppData%\Winamp).  Then reinstall, making sure you use the latest Full version of Winamp and do a complete install.

Note, that uninstalling Winamp will also delete Winamp’s Media Library database.  So if you were previously using Winamp’s Media Library and want to keep your customizations (song ratings, playlists, etc.) you’ll want to backup the  %AppData%\Winamp\Plugins folder before you uninstall.  The important files are any ini files in %AppData%\Winamp\Plugins with “ml” in the name and the entire %AppData%\Winamp\Plugins\ml folder.