Where's my audiobook

I’m an MP3 newbie.  I downloaded an audiobook, but my audiobook folder on the Sansa shows empty.  I know it’s somewhere because when I go to drag and drop it there again, I’m asked if I want to replace it.  Where can I find it? 

You have to put your audio book in the AudioBook folder. If you don’t have that folder, update to the latest firmware using Sansa Update software.

I’m a newbie too - same problem

My Computer\Sansa Clip 2GB\Internal Memory\Audiobooks

shows the audio book

but the audiobook selection on the clip is empty 

how do I get it there?

You have to set the Genre to Speech.  The clip seems to ignore the filename and folder, and go strictly by Genre.  Or maybe only files directly in the AUDIOBOOK folder work (as opposed to a subdir).  I haven’t tried it.

@sdgathman wrote:
You have to set the Genre to Speech.  The clip seems to ignore the filename and folder, and go strictly by Genre.  Or maybe only files directly in the AUDIOBOOK folder work (as opposed to a subdir).  I haven’t tried it.

It doesnt have to be Speech. Having it set to AUDIOBOOK should work fine as well. Just try both and see what happens.

I’ve updated the firmware.  My audiobooks are in the music folder, when I try to drag them into the audiobooks folder it then says that the clip is disconnected or not working properly.  I have tried everything to get the folders to move–this is very frustrating since there is supposed to be a bookmark feature for audiobooks.  I’d appreciate any suggestions.

@tbov wrote:

I’ve updated the firmware.  My audiobooks are in the music folder, when I try to drag them into the audiobooks folder it then says that the clip is disconnected or not working properly.  I have tried everything to get the folders to move–this is very frustrating since there is supposed to be a bookmark feature for audiobooks.  I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Check my response to your other thread.

I was told by tech support that only the audible.com audiobooks download into the audiobook file under “Music”. I was downloading a netlibrary book through our local library and couldn’t find it. The tech person explained that the kind of file used by netlibrary is an MP3 format and therefore would download under “Songs” - and that’s exactly where I found it! To play the book, I go under artist and “play”. 

I forgot to add that I was also told that the bookmark feature is not available when your book is in MP3 format and dowloaded under “songs”.

@ddctcbx wrote:
I was told by tech support that only the audible.com audiobooks download into the audiobook file under “Music”. I was downloading a netlibrary book through our local library and couldn’t find it. The tech person explained that the kind of file used by netlibrary is an MP3 format and therefore would download under “Songs” - and that’s exactly where I found it! To play the book, I go under artist and “play”. 

If you use atag editor like mp3tag, to change the genre to speech or audiobook then you can use MSC mode to drag and drop the book, to the Audiobooks folder no matter where you get it from.

I am also new - just got my Sansa Clip 8 GB yesterday…my first MP3 player. I want to listen to audiobooks. Am I supposed to be using Windows Media Player (WMP) to manage my files? If so, I do not see an audiobook folder. If not, what manager am I supposed to use? Rhapsody came with my player but WMP is what comes up.

I haven’t tried downloading an ebook yet. I am wanting to transfer a book from a CD to my clip. How do I do that? I’m ignorant so I need specifics.

If there is a User’s Manual that provides these directions, please point me in the right direction. I’m pretty good at reading/following directions. The manual I found doesn’t even mention audiobooks.

Thanks.

You’re right, of course:  there should be a comprehensive audiobook guide for the Clip. 

A helpful start for you:

1.  If you have non-DRM (“digital rights management”–the so-called anti-theft protection put into some audiobook and music files) audiobook computer files, you can simply drag and drop the audiobook folder and its files into your Clip’s Audiobooks folder.  (They actually can be put anywhere on your Clip, but putting them in the Audiobooks folder has extra benefits (beyond organizational) such as not having to have the files tagged–the Clip will use the file and folder names for display purposes, IIRC–and you will have autobookmarking of your audiobooks (where you left off) even if they don’t carry an Audiobook genre tag). 

2.  DRM files need to be transferred using WMP, which will transfer the files’ electronic licenses with the files.  With the exception:  Audible audiobooks get transferred using Audible’s own software, IIRC.

3.  If you have audiobook CDs, you need to rip your CDs into computer files just like you would rip music CDs.  (You can search here (box at the upper left) for ripping info.)  And then drag and drop the folders and included files to the Clip’s Audiobooks folder.

Some past forum info. on ripping music/audiobooks: 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=16009&query.id=632464#M16009

4.  As you correctly note, you do not want or need Rhapsody–that is for music subscriptions.  You can use a program such as WMP, Media Monkey or Winamp, etc. to manage your Clip’s files, but that’s not required:  you can simply drag and drop files onto your Clip, and create and use folders on it, just as you do on your computer.  Makes it real easy!

I hope this helps.  It really is not hard, once you have the system down (especially as to ripping and tagging files).    

P.S.  Welcome!   :slight_smile:

Message Edited by Miikerman on 03-15-2009 06:57 PM

My new Clip+ is having this same issue. Problem is that under Genres, there’s only New Age, Rock, World and Unknown. I’ve reformatted the player, checked for firmware and done everything that has been suggested here but nothing works. The thing is, when the Clip+ is connected to my computer and I open it up, everything is there. When I disconnect it and try to play it, half of my files have disappeared. Whatup? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m ready to return this thing.

You need to edit your ID3 tags. Use the Search feature; there’s lots of posts on the subject. :smiley:

And you still should be able to select your files to play them under the Clip’s Folders option, at the bottom of the Music listing.

I had a Sansa Clip before my current Sansa Clip+ and am having trouble seeing audiobooks on the player that show up on the computer when it’s hooked up via USB.  I drag and drop the unzipped Librivox folders into Audiobooks and only 25% memory is used.  Why can’t I see them on the player?

It seems Librivox are either .ogg files or .mp3 files.

Either way, they need to be tagged with the Genre Audiobooks for the Sansa to see them there. Tags are text labels within the files; the Sansa reads them and when it sees Audiobooks it puts them in that folder. Otherwise it thinks the tracks of the book are songs. Look in Music under Folders and see if they showed up there.

Search this forum for mp3tag and ISO-8859-1 to find out how to edit your tags. If you are on a Mac get the tag editor kid3 from Sourceforge.