What is the song limit for Sansa Clip Plus?

For sansa fuze 4GB

It will only take up around 6000 with MicroSD card

So what about Sansa clip Plus?

How many songs can I put into it?

cybird0 wrote:

For sansa fuze 4GB

It will only take up around 6000 with MicroSD card

So what about Sansa clip Plus?

How many songs can I put into it?

The Fuze will hold a max of 8000 songs. If your memory is full it doesnt matter what player you choose, the # of songs wont change that much. 

As CB said, the database limit is 8000 songs. But this has nothing to do with the capacity of your individual player and/or external memory card. You can only fit in what will physically fit.

If you’ve got 6000 songs in a 4GB player and memory card that I assume must be 16GB, you’re doing pretty good. The sound quality of those songs would be another issue entirely. To fit that many songs in that space must mean a bit-rate of not more than 96kbps .wma. And that means probably 50% (or more) of the digital music information present in a full lossless format or CD is simply gone.

But it’s not for me or anyone else to judge the way you use your player. If you’re happy with the sound quality of your music files the way they are, more power to 'ya.

As far as the Clip+ vs. the Fuze? A 4GB Clip+ is not going to have any additional storage benefits over a Fuze of the same memory size. It has some different firmware features, but the same 8000 track/file/song limit still applies to the database.

I have found that the limit on the 8GB Sansa Clip + appears to lurke around 6500 songs! As the database keeps information about the Internal AND external memory this has caused problems for me using small ogg files, i.e. I filled up both 8GB internal + 16 GB SD card with vorbis ogg songs at quality level 1 (64 kbps - 72 kbps average kbps per track). 12913 songs in total, only 6494 song’s are visible to the player. Almost half the collection is unavailable due to this limitation (even when using the “Folders” view as this uses the Database not purely the filesystem). This has lead to a big dissapointment with the player as there was no mention of such tight limits to the Database on the technical specifications for this player, which has lead me to buy it as a massive capacity / size player when used with small ogg files.

the_real_frosty wrote:
I have found that the limit on the 8GB Sansa Clip + appears to lurke around 6500 songs! As the database keeps information about the Internal AND external memory this has caused problems for me using small ogg files, i.e. I filled up both 8GB internal + 16 GB SD card with vorbis ogg songs at quality level 1 (64 kbps - 72 kbps average kbps per track). 12913 songs in total, only 6494 song’s are visible to the player. Almost half the collection is unavailable due to this limitation (even when using the “Folders” view as this uses the Database not purely the filesystem). This has lead to a big dissapointment with the player as there was no mention of such tight limits to the Database on the technical specifications for this player, which has lead me to buy it as a massive capacity / size player when used with small ogg files.

This makes sense as 6000 was once the limit on the Fuze as well and this has been adjusted through firmware updates, to the current 8000 file limit. Which in your case still cuts off about 4000 tracks. It might be worth trying to edit the vorbis comment on some of the files you cant see and make the genre audiobook, and see if they show up in that directory, and perhaps to podcast as well if the audiobook thing works. I dont know that it will but its worth a shot.   

Good point about changing the genre to audiobook or podcast for some of the music. The player appears to have separate databases for the audiobooks and podcasts, so you might have more songs accesible if some are podcasts and some are audiobooks(by the genre tag, or by placing them in the audiobooks or podcasts subfolders). I place my classical music into the audiobooks subfolder since I don’t listen to audiobooks(just podcasts) and don’t want the classical music movements to be mixed with my rock music song listings.

Yesterday I spent an hour or so on a chat with a Sansa tech guy.  I have the problem that my Sansa Clip Zip with 8 gb of its own memory and a 32 gb usd card can’t see all of the songs or folders on the card.  We didn’t touch on the database limit for number of songs, and I haven’t counted them yet, but it seems like that limit could be the explanation.

If it is, can one of you SanDisk gurus opine on when that might change?  Otherwise, what’s the point of using the 32 gb card?

BTW, it’s a SANSA card!!  :slight_smile:

Thanks,

-geo

@gdhadden wrote:

If it is, can one of you SanDisk gurus opine on when that might change?  Otherwise, what’s the point of using the 32 gb card?

It’s not likely to with this generation of players. With the 32GB card, you can use higher quality (and larger size) files like FLAC. Even using moderately high bit-rate .mp3 files like 256kbps you’re not likely to encounter the limitation.

Embedded album art might greatly limit  the number of songs the player can see. Since the player can’t display the album art, just get rid of the embedded album art. I suggest making a copy of your music on the pc, remove the album art from this copy, delete the songs on the player, then copy the copy without the album art to the player.

Had the same problem, put all my music under the Music folder and the database wouldn’t show all my songs. I think a big problem was that I also had my songs separated into subfolders according to album. So after reading through this thread, I sorted the albums into the Music, Audiobooks or Podcase folders, without subfolders. Worked like a charm, so many thanks! But also made playlists for each album, so regardless of which folder my music is in (Music/Audiobooks/Podcasts) and what memory they’re in (internal/external), they’re all visible under the Playlists database.

Interesting; I’ve had no issue with folders and subfolders down a level or 2 . . . .

It probably depends on how many songs one is trying to cram on there. :wink:

If one is close to the database limit, maybe eliminating a few of the heirarchy steps would allow a few more tracks to be recognized.

I do have a lot, on a 32gb microsd card. So much that when the database refreshes, my battery life goes down a few notches, so I’ve taken to keeping my clip+ on the ac adapter while it is refreshing. Works for me :smileyvery-happy: