Weird problem with folder browsing

I just got a 8GB Clip+ today and I’m having a weird problem with folder prowsing. I have my files sorted by album in the following way:

But when I view the folders on my Clip+ it looks like this:

So the Clip somehow combines the two folders into one. This only seems to happen with these particular folder names, if I rename them to say, One and Two they are displayed correctly as separate folders but when I rename back to I and II the are combined again. So I guess I could just rename the folders when something like this happens but I just can’t figure out why this is happening in the first place. I’ve already tried formatting the device and switching to MSC mode but that doesn’t seem to help. When I try browsing by artist or album the Clip+ shows everything correctly.

EDIT: This also happens with the band Blackfield with albums called Blackfield and Blackfield II.

sounds like a bug. the clip+ has not got a firmware update in a while so i would not count on it being fixed anytime soon. If i were you I would just rename the folders. 

@terol wrote:

So the Clip somehow combines the two folders into one. This only seems to happen with these particular folder names, if I rename them to say, One and Two they are displayed correctly as separate folders but when I rename back to I and II the are combined again. So I guess I could just rename the folders when something like this happens but I just can’t figure out why this is happening in the first place. I’ve already tried formatting the device and switching to MSC mode but that doesn’t seem to help. When I try browsing by artist or album the Clip+ shows everything correctly.

EDIT: This also happens with the band Blackfield with albums called Blackfield and Blackfield II.

Try numbering the tracks like this …

Blackfield- track 101, 102, 103, 104, etc.

Blackfield II- track 201, 202, 203, 204, etc.

That might do the trick.

I seem to recall having read of this before, where folder names were “too similar” to each other. (And isn’t this just bizarre, that the software would go out of its way to do this–software never ceases to amaze.) As noted above, I would just change the names slightly, along the lines of your experimenting.

I find it to be a quirk of the firmware.  But with an easy workaround.  While changing the track numbers is a good idea, I would prefer to just change the folder name.  It’ll leave the tag on the individual tracks as is and you only have to make a minor name change once (for the folder) and not for multiple songs.