Using a 128gb or larger card with sandisk clip

Hi guys,

My ipod classic has just died and im looking for an alternative.

Im considering the clip+ because i have read you can unofficially increase the storage to 128gb if you reformat a card to fat32. The problem is that i will be storing my music on a mac so fat32 wont work very well (if atall?). I have about 140gb of music and update my collection quite often so does anyone know what i should do?

If i buy a clip+ (is that the best model?) Which card will 100% work with the clip (above 100gb preferably) and how can i get it to work with my mac? Im really keen to buy a clip so if anyone can help me out here id be very grateful.

Thanks

James

I’ve not heard of card issues specific to any manufacturer.  Personally, and because issues could develop, I’d purchase a card that can returned, if need be.  And I’ve always liked SanDisk cards, but they can be a bit costlier–at any rate, I’d stick with a major manufacturer, such as SanDisk, Patriot, etc.

One thing to note:  unless your files are very large and thereby more limited in number, the Clip+ or Clip Zip database will not be able to accommodate the number of files on such a huge card.  The solution:  install the alternative and highly regarded Rockbox firmware, available at rockbox.org.  It can handle a larger database and has many other advanced benefits–read about it in the detailed user manual available through the website.

As to the Clip+ and Clip Zip, you might find the following review, noting the differences, of assist.  You might like some of the advances of the Zip, including aac compatibility, the larger and color screen, and the clock.  http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/The-Clip-Zip-A-review/td-p/242280

I’m not a Mac guy, and so will leave the format issues there to others.  Having said that, I haven’t heard of card format issues in using a Mac.  I attach a link below to a SanDisk article on transferring files from a Mac, using iTunes.  Also, note that a Mac can create hidden admin. “ghost” files on a Clip (and other non-Mac devices) that will clog the Clip–file transfer software such as Hidden Cleaner will avoid that.  https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27416/hidden-cleaner# 

http://kb-de.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1141/~/transferring-music-files-to-the-sansa-player-using-itunes-on-a-mac-computer

I’ve not heard of card issues specific to any manufacturer.  Personally, and because issues could develop, I’d purchase a card that can be returned, if need be.  And I’ve always liked SanDisk cards, but they can be a bit costlier–at any rate, I’d stick with a major manufacturer, such as SanDisk, Patriot, etc.

One thing to note:  unless your files are very large and thereby more limited in number, the Clip+ or Clip Zip database will not be able to accommodate the number of files on such a huge card.  The solution:  install the alternative and highly regarded Rockbox firmware, available at rockbox.org.  It can handle a larger database and has many other advanced benefits–read about it in the detailed user manual available through the website.  _Do not be intimidated by it!  _The firmware works easily and may only seem intimidating because it has so many capabilities–but it is easily used by mere mortals.  Recommended to skim the manual rather than read it in detail, to avoid becoming exhausted . . . .  And note the many Rockbox screen appearance options available at the website (the “themes”), to replace the stock and boring/(geek)-like screen layout that comes with the firmware originally.    

As to the Clip+ and Clip Zip, you might find the following review, noting the differences, of assist.  You might like some of the advances of the Zip, including aac compatibility, the larger and color screen, and the clock.  http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/The-Cl​ip-Zip-A-review/td-p/242280

I’m not a Mac guy, and so will leave the format issues there to others.  Having said that, I haven’t heard of card format issues in using a Mac.  I attach a link below to a SanDisk article on transferring files from a Mac, using iTunes.  Also, note that a Mac can create hidden admin. “ghost” files on a Clip (and other non-Mac devices) that will clog the Clip–file transfer software such as Hidden Cleaner will avoid that.  https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27416/hidden-cle​aner# 

http://kb-de.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1​141/~/transferring-music-files-to-the-sansa-player​…

1 Like

thanks for the reply. 

I hope youre right about mac. 

so in theory is all of the following correct:

1- buy a clip+ 

2- install rockbox (using my mac as it is apparently available on osx)

3- buy a sandisk microSD card- a link to a good 128gb one would be really helpful if you have any specific reccomendations)

4- convert sd card to fat32 using my mac 

5-transfer music from mac harddrive onto memory card

First, Rockbox is something you install on the Sansa–not the Mac. It takes over for the operating system/firmware  built into the Sansa. (The original Sansa firmware is still there, but Rockbox boots up instead of the original firmware.) Go to rockbox.org and look around a bit.

You should check the file format of your music.The full filename of a song is usually something like 01-Artist-Song Title.mp3 or 01-Artist-Song Title.m4a. Your computer may hide file extensions (mp3, m4a) for “known” filetypes but there’s a way to reveal them–Google around with your operating system and “show file extensions.”

This is different from the formatting of the card. The file format is how the music is encoded, turned into numbers.

If it is .m4a or .aac or Apple Lossless–stuff bought in the iTunes Music store–then it will NOT play on the Clip+ without Rockbox. Rockbox should play most .m4a files but might choke on super-large ones. If you’re lucky enough to have all mp3 files then there’s no problem.

To play .m4a with Sandisk firmware–not installing Rockbox–you’d need the Clip Zip, which capitulated to Apple’s proprietary file types.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4301/~/sansa-clip-zip-supported-audio%2Fmusic-formats

But Rockbox is still better if you want to deal with giant storage cards, because the Sansa firmware won’t list all the songs that the card can hold.

ok thanks for the help. 

pretty sure my whole library is mp3.

how difficult is it to put rockbox onto the clip?

also howcome sandisk only offer the ‘jam’ and the ‘sport’ currently. should i be going for one of those instead?

not bothered about fancy features just literally want to be able to stick a 128gb or 256gb card into it and have my music on it

cheers in advance

@jamesmajin wrote:

also howcome sandisk only offer the ‘jam’ and the ‘sport’ currently. should i be going for one of those instead?

No, and in fact you must have one of the older Clip or Fuze models if you want to use large SD cards.  Newer devices are limited to only a few thousand files.  

Unfortunately everything is downhill after the Clip + (and possibly the Zip, though I never had one). Fewer features, less capacity, no sonic improvement.

You can still find refurbished Clip+ on Amazon and eBay, though they are generally way overpriced–and new ones are so crazily overpriced you might as well get a high-resolution player like FiiO X3 for #200.

Just looking at Ebay now, though, I see refurbished 4GB Clip +  for $40. No idea about the seller, but there’s a lot of positive feedback. I have had good luck with refurbished Clip + from other high-volume sellers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-4GB-MP3-Player-Black-SDMX18-/191131424048?hash=item2c80521530:g:T~oAAOSwY0lXTdFY

When you’re looking around, there’s no need to get the more expensive  8GB–might as well go for the cheaper 4GB and put all your music on the microSD card.

Or look beyond Sansa to Sony, FiiO or some of the other brands people are always touting on www.head-fi.org.  Sansa was great at their original low prices but now people are just greedy.

1 Like

After the Clip Zip, the manufacturer of the computer chip used in the Clip players discontinued the chip and so SanDisk needed to do some strategizing for the future.  Unfortunately, it went for an alternative chip–used by other player manufacturers as well–that just isn’t as robust as the old, crippling the capabilities in the Sport and Jam players.

Recommended, if you want to be able to play aac files:  get the Clip Zip, which has that capability (although sometimes with hiccups) in the original SanDisk firmware.  Even if you will be installing the alternative Rockbox firmware, which can play aac files, I think that it is beneficial to have that capability in the original SanDisk firmware as well, in case you want to use that capability.  Again, see the linked-to review above with regard to the differences between the Clip+ and Zip players.  I generally have seen both recently in the $50-$80+ range–higher than I would like, but it’s supply-and-demand for a discontinued player.  Interestingly, this is around the original cost many years ago, when the players first came out. 

Also, note that Rockbox can be installed on the Clip, Clip+ and Clip Zip players, but _ not _  on the Sport and Jam players–and so avoid the latter 2 player models if you want to use Rockbox and its mega-sized file-handling and database capabilities, which you seem to want.

As to the microSD card, see my recommendations above.  Amazon.com is a good source, with good prices and a nice return policy.

Finally, installing Rockbox is relatively easy–Rockbox has an automated installation software utility.  One need not be a computer guru.  Again, my recommendation is for you to go to the Rockbox website and skim through the manual for the Clip+ or Clip Zip (again, don’t let it intimidate you).  There is a section on installing Rockbox at the beginning of the manual–that should answer many questions.  And then, once you do install Rockbox, download a “theme” you like (that’s the appearance of the screen) from the many available at the Themes webpage–you can even create your own, if you are so inclined (yes, it really can be done, spoken by someone who has done so–and my progamming days are from long ago!).

1 Like