Transferring music to the SansaClip

What are my options for transferring music from an external HDD or iPod Touch to my daughter’s Sansa?

What is the best way to delete all 53 songs currently on her device?

If she doesn’t use protected files, then set the USB mode on the player to MSC. if she uses protected files, then set it to MTP(Settings, system settings, USB mode). you could format the player using the player menu to delete all songs on the player(settings, system settings, >FORMAT).

To transfer files to the player, I suggest you use Windows Explorer copy and paste if the files aren’t protected. For protected files, you need to use Windows Media Player(or another media player that will transfer the licenses) so that the licenses are properly transferred. 

Which Clip player does she have? The original Clip, or the Clip+? The Clip+ has a card slot.

She has the SansaClip, as do I. How can I move music from her iPod to the Clip? Do I need to first transfer the music files to my (Windows 8) laptop, then to the Clip? Can Windows Media Player run on Windows 8? Previoulsy she may have synched using iTunes.  Thanks for your help.

“Do I need to first transfer the music files to my (Windows 8) laptop, then to the Clip?”

Yes.

“Can Windows Media Player run on Windows 8?”

I believe Windows 8 also comes with WMP. You only need to use WMP for protected files, like protected WMA. i’m not sure about whether you can transfer Audible files with it, or if you need to use audible software. If there aren’t any protected files, the easiest way to transfer is with Windows Explorer, copy and paste.

It also depends on whether her Apple files are “protected”–that is, made to annoy you.

The files she wants from her iPod…put them on the screen in iTunes and highlight them and right-click and Convert to .mp3. 

On the Sansa, go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and choose MSC.

Then find where iTunes is hiding the mp3 files on the computer, highlight them and copy and paste to the Clip. 

I have never used iTunes, however I doubt that they would convert protected Apple formats to mp3 files. Some have said that itunes would write protected Apple format music files to music CDs. If so, then they could be ripped using Windows Media player. The Sandisk Clip, clip+, and Clip Zip will play protected WMA files, and protected Audible files, but not protected Aplle format files.

I think we’re good now. SansaClip formatted and we are now dowloading music via listentoyoutube.com to Downloads folder then

to SansaClip. Only downside is that her SansaClip is just 2GB.

You did say she has an original Sandisk Clip? Those stopped being made in 2009 when the Clip+ came out. I’m surprised your player has lasted so long.

It was MIA for awhile.  My wife does have the SansaClip+ (4GB). I am thinking I should swap with her.

Depends how much music your wife wants to have available…

@jk98 wrote:

You did say she has an original Sandisk Clip? Those stopped being made in 2009 when the Clip+ came out. I’m surprised your player has lasted so long.

Really?  I have 3 (including the cool reflective silver model) and they have lasted just fine, thank you very much.    :slight_smile:

The battery life on the original Clip players is still okay? I have a Clip+ that I bought in Sept 2009 which still works fine, except that the clip broke off. I haven’t measured the battery life on it recently, but it seems decent. I have a few other Sandisk players though, so this one didn’t get a huge amount of wear.

I had the original Clip, but gave it away  a few years ago. Having just 4GB wasn’t enough storage for me.