Synced songs don't play

I’ve synced 200+ songs to my clip sport using Windows Media Player.  When I use Windows Explorer, I can see all files are on the device.  The problem is, when I try to play them in the car, over half don’t even show up as available.  I have also had the issue of folders being visible on my car’s display, but the player skipping over songs until one is finally able to play.

There is no rhyme or reason.  The files are a mix of MP3 and WMA.  There have also been times when, after adding new songs, songs that previously played no problem no longer would.

I even tried deleting everything on it and starting from scratch. 

This happened with my previous Sansa Fuze device, and I’m contemplating trying something completely different.  This is frustrating.

Any advice/feedback/help is welcome.  

Thank you.

Are experiencing these problems with a Clip+ or a Clip Sport?

For the Clip Sport, I am aware this device has the following limitations.

-> Will not play wma files with digital rights management (drm)

-> The Music database will not recognize more than 2000 audio files

Also, make sure all your music audio files (and subfolders) are placed inside the main Music folder.

How are you attempting to play your music in your car, with an audio connecting cable?

Or are you attempting playback via micro USB cable?  (Just a wild guess, my car audio is over 10 years old.)

Are you experiencing these problems with a Clip+ or a Clip Sport?    

For the Clip Sport, I am aware this device has the following limitations.

-> Will not play wma files with digital rights management (drm)

-> The Music database will not recognize more than 2000 audio files  

Also, make sure all your music audio files (and subfolders) are placed inside the main Music folder.  

How are you attempting to play your music in your car, with an audio connecting cable?

Or are you attempting playback via micro USB cable?  (Just a wild guess.)

Thanks for the feedback.  Here is my reply:

• Clip Sport
  • Thanks for the WMA input…I have very few of these, but bulk of my music is MP3
  • After more research today, I have just over 1000 songs on the device
  • All files are in the main music folder (all other standard folders on the device are empty)
  • I’m connecting via a micro USB cable.  I have not tried an old-style auxilliary audio cable, because I want to control through the car’s user interface, rather than the Clip’s.  Though, I will keep this in mind as an option…I still feel it’s less safe.  I tend to shuffle…a lot.

Here’s what I’ve discovered in the last few days.

• I have slightly over 1000 music files (more than originally reported…no explanation for the discrepancy)
  • I have slightly over 500 folders (which includes subfolders)
  • The above two are because I went through every artist and consolidated folders, while minimizing losing grouping songs by album.
  • I have nearly filled the device to capacity…but the bulk of the content may not be accessible.
  • It seems the limit is set, at least initially, at the “album” level.  Right now, the albums run through artists starting with A-G.  Before last night, it was A-D.  Each time I consolidate the folder…more are available the next time I plug it in to the car.  
  • I imported a lot of songs from old “mix” CD’s I burned years ago.  I put a lot of those into a “found while moving” folder until I could organize them.  Rather than having one “found while moving” folder, it added a “found while moving” folder to each artist for all of the songs I put in that group.

So, tonight, back to consolidating.  I stopped short of counting how many folders my car could access.  I may have to do that tomorrow…it may be the only way to find out Clip Sport’s real limit.

I realize there are engineering limits, but this is a bit aggravating.  If the device has 8G of music on it, it should be able to play everything.  Or else, there should be PC user interface other than Windows Media Player (or other standard PC source).  Not to mention a warning that “max allowable folders/songs has been reached”.

Stay tuned for updates, I guess.

Besides my PC, I do not own any devices with the capability to control the playback of the Clip Sport.

I am amazed to learn this is possible with a car audio system. 

I am wondering what would happen if you substitute a simple 16 gb flash drive (aka thumb drive) in place of the Clip Sport???

Also, I think 500 folders seems like a big challenge for the Clip Sport music database processor. And maybe even an excessive challenge for the car audio processor. 

I’m not saying that the car’s interface controls the Clip Sport.  I connect the Clip Sport to a USB port in the car, from there the car’s user interface accesses the Music folder.  From there, I can play songs from folders on the device.  So far, I can only view the “album” folders (subfolders to each artist folder).

• Music - the main music folder on the device
    • Artist - the album folders seem to be sorted by artist
      • Album - the folder level visible by the car’s user interface

Today was better.  After additional consolidating last night, I now get folders for artists starting with M.  There is also a significant improvement in the randomness while shuffling.  I also took a couple of minutes and counted the folders my car was able to access, and it was 150. Whether it’s a limit of the car or the device…I don’t know yet. 

Personally, I don’t care if 500 folders might be a bit much for the device.  I do not recall any limitations in the user information that was provided when I bought it.  Sadly, that information is probably long lost…so I’ll have to deal with it.  I’m still well below the 2000 song limit (less than half as of last night).  

I still stand by my statement that if there is 8G-worth of songs on the device, it should play the 8G-worth of songs.  I suspect part of the problem lies with the fact that I might have one song, on one album, by one artist…which uses two folders.  Hence, me having to go through and consolidate.  Frustrating.

The 16G flash drive is an interesting suggestion.  It may be worth a try one of these days.  :slight_smile:

Ok…off to consolidate more folders!