Supported micro SD card capacity for SanDisk Sansa Clip+

Has anyone tried using a 32 GB micro SDHC card with Sansa Clip+? Does it work? 

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/list/kw/clip%2B/

Its mentioned here that the recommended one is 16 GB. So should I get a 16 GB only or will the 32 GB one work??

A 32 GB card will work, except that you might exceed the song limit, which might be around 8,000 but could even be below 5,000 if you have embedded album art, long tags or filenames, or a complex nesting structure(folders in folders in folders, etc.) The original firmware often has trouble with cards faster than class 4, so choose a high quality class 4 one.

If you do hit the song limit, you could install the free alternative firmware Rockbox which has a much greater song limit. Using Rockbox some even use a 64GB micro SDXC card in their Clip+(it must be formatted as FAT32 though).

@upendrawanmali wrote:

Its mentioned here that the recommended one is 16 GB. So should I get a 16 GB only or will the 32 GB one work??

I would go with 16GB just to be in the safe side but the difference will be huge.

@joelmch wrote:

@upendrawanmali wrote:

I would go with 16GB just to be in the safe side but the difference will be huge.

Did you even read the post above yours? 32GB cards are just fine.

1 Like

The reason why 16GB cards are mentioned is that it was the largest capacity card in 2009 when the Clip+ was first released.

Just keep the card speed to Class 4 or less (or be able to return the card if it doesn’t work out)–the Clips often have stalled with cards faster than Class 4.

Just got done trying my second 32GB class 4 micro SD and it was a no go.

Am running current Sansa and Rockbox. Everything loads fine, but the Sansa device will NOT find audio files that are there on BOTH 32GB chips I’ve used.

Will ‘see’ them but when I go to play them, it can’t ‘find’ them.

Playing almost exclusively ‘.flac’ files and have now gone back to my trusty 16GB, again.

My MicroSDHC 32GBs have been Samsung and another brand, Samsung is the one that didn’t work most recently. Thought name brand would help.

Can I ask what the make of the 32GB card is you are able to make work??

Maybe is because of RockBox or the ‘.flac’ files - am stumped.

Even if not fixed, got 24GB of lossless audio for 1/6th of what Apple would have charged for LOSSY files…

Have a great Day!!

Did you try putting MP3 files on the 32GB card and seeing if that would work?  That could be an informative experiment to try.  And/or, does the card work ouside of the player (so that you know it’s not a faulty card and/or a counterfeit)?

Also, you might first try reformatting the 32GB card using the SD Association’s formatter tool–that sometimes can help with stubborn cards.  https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

It’s a little difficult to understand exactly what your situation is.

Are you running Sansa firmware or Rockbox firmware?

When you talk about “see” the files do you mean viewing them on the Clip from your computer, or on the Clip display?

If you can see them on the display, do you click on them but they don’t play?

Are you looking in folder view on the Clip?

I’m not sure if the Clip reads tags in .flac. So you’d have to scroll all the way down to Folders. That is, if you’re using the Sansa firmware.

The Sansa firmware does has a limit on the size of the database that it builds from the tags. And because it wasn’t expecting a card as large as 32GB, the 32GB card can strain that limit, even though the number of .flac files would be lower than the number of .mp3s you could cram on there.  Once its database (drawn from the tags) gets too big, it just doesn’t list all the files on the unit.

But if you can explain more clearly about what’s going on, it might help.

If you’re using Rockbox, the other place to ask is at www.rockbox.org .

The clip+ has no problems reading FLAC files with the original firmware.

Because .flac is open source, there are lots of flavors of .flac files. The OP may have stumbled upon one that was a problem. Hard to say,