Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

Re: Sorting audiobook mp3s

Obviously, the player is doing sorting in a numerical way that makes sense to it, rather than to human beings. This probably is impractical to do, but I wonder if putting the name of the book before the numbering in each file name would flip the player to sort correctly. Or even just adding the word "Part" at the front (which is how my audiobooks tend to be named, seemingly with no Clip issue).
SanDisk Guru
JK98

jarekt70, what do the title tags look like? I get it is sorting based on the title tags. Use a good tag editing program like mp3Tag. Give all the files in the book the same album tag. Use the track number tag to order the files.

jarekt70

[ Edited ]

@Miikerman

The sorting is not in a numerical way as 001 is after (greater than) 010 for the player. It seems that it sorts based on the 3-rd digit in the first place and then based on the first two digits. If this is the rule, the sorting is correct although I don't understand why. The sorting is correct when the number in the files is two digits only (a different audiobook). I've tried adding "part" in front of the name but it didn't help.  

@JK98

The title tag value is like the file name. All the files have the same album tag. So It is not the case.

I found a possible cause of the sorting problem . The track tags was set like "001/214", "002/214", ..., "214/214" but the player sees it all as "214". When I changed the track tags for simple 001, 002, ..., 214 it started to sort correctly. 

Just to summarize - it seems that the player does not support naming convention for track tag like "<track number>/<number of tracks>" and additionally it has an issue sorting files having numbers with more that 2 digits.   

SanDisk Guru
JK98

'Just to summarize - it seems that the player does not support naming convention for track tag like "/" and additionally it has an issue sorting files having numbers with more that 2 digits. "

i have not had any problems with the player sorting 3 digit track numbers. Having the numbers with leading zeros is what is needed, ie 001, 002,... , 099, etc. I do find it easier though to start numbering at 101 when using 3 digit track numbers.

SanDisk Guru
JK98

'The sorting is not in a numerical way as 001 is after (greater than) 010 for the player."

That doesn't sound right. are you sure the first or second digit is the number zero, and not the letter O? i get the tracks in order, then use mp3Tag to autonumber them. When numbering manually or entering tags manually, one blank space that goes unnoticed somewhere will alter the sort sequence. That is why using an autonumbering function avoids these problems. I also  got some strange sorting of files until I started using the mp3Tag autonumber function.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

jarekt70 wrote:

Just to summarize - it seems that the player does not support naming convention for track tag like "<track number>/<number of tracks>"

That's correct, it does not.

jarekt70

[ Edited ]

@JK98

I double checked the names. I can confirm that it is 001 (zero zero one) not letter O. In fact, the names and tagging are correct and are sorted correctly in both my computer file system and mp3Tag. Of course it is the case, when the tag track is in format 001/214. When I corrected the tagging to with simple number it sorted correctly.   

SanDisk Guru
JK98

If you edit the tags on files on  the player itself, the files might not sort properly. You need to edit the tags on the copy in the pc, delete the copy in the player, then copy them to the player again.

jarekt70

It seems that editing tags directly in the player is not the problem in my case. When I changed the track tag directly on the player it started sorting correctly. Every time I disconnect the player from computer, it updates the files library. 

systemcheck

I had a similar problem, an MP3 course with 167 files.

For my case, on the Clip+, I used EasyTag to remove the 2nd part of the track number, so instead of

01/167

the track number became

in the MP3 file's header (ie, the ID3v2 tag).  I verified this using the 'id3v2 -l' command in Linux.

Once I got rid of the total number of tracks, the sorting worked. YAY!  I've been using the Clip and Clip+ for years and this audiobook sort problem always bothered me.  Thanks to the posters here for sorting this out!