Sansa Clip won't turn on unless charging

Hi, I received my Sansa Clip in 2008, and about a year later I lent it to a friend of mine. She told me the next day that she thinks she charged it too much because now it won’t turn on unless it’s charging. I’ve tried resetting it for up to two minutes, but it still does not turn on. If I charge it, it turns on but only shows the recurring Sandisk logo and the picture of the Clip and a computer with moving arrows in between. This also happens with my computer, when connected it is recognized and I can check the files and music and everything, but it immediately turns off when I disconnected. I’ve been doing this on and off for the past 3 years. Any way to solve it myself or get it fixed somewhere?

Sounds like the solder joint(s) on the battery leads have broken. This was a common ailment of the early (original) Clips. It’s probably just a coincidence that it happened the same time you lent it to a friend.

If you’re the adventurous type and handy with teeny-tiny wires and a soldering iron you might be able to fix it yourself. If not, transfer all your music off of it (if it isn’t already backed up on your computer, which it should be), recycle it responsibly and get a new one.

Its replacement, the Clip+ is a wonderful and worthy descendent. Better than the original in my opinion. :smiley:

Thanks! I know nothing of wires, but I will consider getting the Clip+ as a replacement! What would you consider “recycling it responsibly”?

As you note, the player still works if you connect to a power source.  And so, if you wanted, you could connect to an AC outlet via a USB/AC adapter and continue to use the player as a “mini-stereo.” 

Might need a pretty long extension cord though, if you plan on using it while jogging or at the gym.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Haha! I don’t think that would fit inside a gym xD