Sansa Clip + won't read Micro SDHC

So I just got a new SanDisk Clip + and I can’t seem to get it to read my Micro SDHC card. 

My microSDHC is class 4, and FAT32 format; which should be the proper specs from what I’ve read on past threads. All the music is put into separate folders within a “Music” folder within the microSDHC as well…

I’ve tried both usb types on the mp3 player; formatted the mp3; and updated it to  V01.02.18. All these things still haven’t solved my problem. 

Can anyone help me out? Really dont want this mp3 player to go to waste…

Only insert or remove a card when the player is off. 

Try removing the card with the power off. Turn on the player. After it updates the database, turn it off. Put the card in, then turn it on. See if the the player now acknowledges the card.

When I have switched between MSC (which I always use) and MTP (for purposes of experimenting), it has sometimes happened that the Sansa will stop reading the card.

What worked for me was to switch to MSC mode, take out the card and format the unit (Settings/System Settings/Format). I don’t know why. 

Make sure you have copies of anything you put into the unit’s internal memory since that will be erased. 

How deeply nested are the files on the card? By that I mean folders in folders in folders, etc. If the files are too deeply nested, the player won’t see them. If they are deeply nested, try using a simpler folder scheme. 

Sorry to ask, but:  what is the model/make of the microSDHC card, and are you sure it is working and is legit.?  (There are many fakes out there.)

Also, you might try reformatting it using the SD Association’s Formatter tool.  https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Do you have an “Unknown” listing in your database (scroll down your Artist list till you come to it)? Are the missing files in there? Is so, the ID3 tags of the ‘missing’ files need attention. Either they are nonexistent, the wrong format or for some other reason cannot be read by the player.

@jk98 wrote:

How deeply nested are the files on the card? By that I mean folders in folders in folders, etc. If the files are too deeply nested, the player won’t see them. If they are deeply nested, try using a simpler folder scheme. 

Within the “Music” folder I have 5 other folders separated into genres (e.g. pop, rock, rap, etc.). Is that a problem?

@miikerman wrote:

Sorry to ask, but:  what is the model/make of the microSDHC card, and are you sure it is working and is legit.?  (There are many fakes out there.)

Also, you might try reformatting it using the SD Association’s Formatter tool.  https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Is the model on the top of the barcode? If so, its SDSDQM-032G-B35A. I’ll format the sd card and see if that helps. Is there a quick way I can test whether or not its a fake?

EDIT: I noticed that the my computer reads the microSD as MMC, should it be the same usb type as the sansa clip+??

@tapeworm wrote:

Do you have an “Unknown” listing in your database (scroll down your Artist list till you come to it)? Are the missing files in there? Is so, the ID3 tags of the ‘missing’ files need attention. Either they are nonexistent, the wrong format or for some other reason cannot be read by the player.

It just reads “empty”, since I have no music in the internal memory, and it can’t seem to read the microSDHCI

“Within the “Music” folder I have 5 other folders separated into genres (e.g. pop, rock, rap, etc.). Is that a problem?”

So you have MUSIC, Genre, artist, album folders, then the actual songs? I haven’t used the Sandisk firmware in a long while. I use Rockbox on my Clip+. 

@jk98 wrote:

“Within the “Music” folder I have 5 other folders separated into genres (e.g. pop, rock, rap, etc.). Is that a problem?”

So you have MUSIC, Genre, artist, album folders, then the actual songs? I haven’t used the Sandisk firmware in a long while. I use Rockbox on my Clip+. 

its just Music > Genres > mp3 files, that was in the microSD. I’ll probably try installing rockbox later this week and see if that works; because I’m running out of ideas.

Did you try using a different card?

@wilson wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Is the model on the top of the barcode? If so, its SDSDQM-032G-B35A. I’ll format the sd card and see if that helps. Is there a quick way I can test whether or not its a fake?

EDIT: I noticed that the my computer reads the microSD as MMC, should it be the same usb type as the sansa clip+??

From your post and model number, I assume your card is a SanDisk.  Did you purchase it from a good/reliable source, and does the card work in other (non-Clip) contexts?

A nice article on how to see if a microSD card is genuine or fake:  http://oeding.com/tutorial-how-to-spot-a-fake-memory-card/

Note the H2testw 1.4 software test, mentioned in this forum previously as a good test.

When you connect the player to your pc, can you see the songs on the card using your pc? 

what format are your songs in? If they are mp3, are your tags in the ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1 format the player expects? Do your files use embedded album art? If so, try removing it.

Can the computer read the files on the card? Either in the unit or via another connection?

As suggested above, you probably need to fix the tags. Your computer can read a wide variety of ID3 tag formats. But the Sansa can’t because it has a tiny little brain. It can read ID3v2.2 or ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. It can’t handle the newer ID3v2.4

Get mp3tag. Make sure you are downloading the setup file–mp3tagv(xxx)setup.exe, not the other garbageware on the site.

When you install, allow it to add itself to context menus.

After install, go to Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg and WRITE and choose ID23v2.3 ISO-8859-1. That’s the right version and the Windows alphabet. Save that so it becomes the default.

Right-click on an album folder, open it with mp3tag from the context menu, highlight all (CTRL-A) and Save and mp3tag will make the tags ID23v2.3 ISO-8859-1,

@jk98 wrote:

When you connect the player to your pc, can you see the songs on the card using your pc? 

what format are your songs in? If they are mp3, are your tags in the ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1 format the player expects? Do your files use embedded album art? If so, try removing it.

No I can’t see the songs on the card. And yes 99% of the songs are .mp3
I’m guessing a lot of my songs wouldnt be in the correct format that you mentioned, since I do have many songs with embedded album art as well

If you can’t even see the files from your PC, then tags don’t even matter. You probably have a broken or fake card (see above).

@saratoga wrote:
If you can’t even see the files from your PC, then tags don’t even matter. You probably have a broken or fake card (see above).

The card can’t be read when its actually inside the mp3 player; and the player is connected to pc . But it seems fine otherwise; my android phone and pc was able to read it fine by itself… Even tested if the sd card was fake with a phone app (not sure how reliable that is)

How do i check what the tags are in my mp3 files btw?

At this point I would format the card, make sure the Sansa is in USB Mode MSC and reload the card with folders that have been run through mp3tag with ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 as default (see my post above). A few nested folders shouldn’t matter unless the resulting path is extremely long–I think it’s 256 characters. E:\Music\Rock\Deafheaven would be fine.

Or if you want to keep searching:

Mp3tag will display what format the existing tags are in. You can just hit CTRL-A to highlight all the files in the album folder, Save Tags (with your default set) and have them fixed. Takes maybe 3 seconds per album.

You can also dump embedded art in the versions you have on the microSD card. In mp3tag, if album art pops up on the lower left when you are viewing a file, that’s embedded art.

View Extended tags, right-click on a file. You can save the image as folder.jpg in the same folder by clicking the floppy disc icon on the right. That is all the Sansa needs for art; it will display folder.jpg or cover.jpg for every song in the folder. 

Then you can remove the embedded art from the files  by clicking on the X. If all the songs on the album have the same embedded art, you can do the whole operation in bulk–highlight them all, save a copy of the art, use X to delete.

But you do have to be able to see the files.  Try both USB modes again with the Sansa. Or, can you put the microSD into a card reader or some other device and have the computer read the files?

Oh, and one more thing—try a different USB-to-mini USB cord. It could be something as simple as that.